Best low motion blur new monitor with good colours? New LG?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Best low motion blur new monitor with good colours? New

Post by RealNC » 04 Apr 2018, 11:36

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
rasseru wrote:For example - I have Rayman Legends to play, as well as Great gianna sisters, The Cave, Brothers ToTS, Ori, Trine, etc. I have never played more than a few minutes of these because the whole beauty of the environments and characters turn into a horrible blur when you move. It might as well be VVVVVV because every game just looks like a blur.
Emulator platformers.... Don't forget to do the ULMB 60 Hz Hack!
These are modern PC games, not emulators. Haven't checked all of them, but I believe they're not 60FPS-locked.

Anyway, once you get past 90-ish FPS, most of the blur goes away. At 120FPS, there's only little blur left. The higher you go, the more diminishing returns you get. If you enable ULMB though, there's virtually zero blur.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Apr 2018, 11:42

RealNC wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Emulator platformers.... Don't forget to do the ULMB 60 Hz Hack!
These are modern PC games, not emulators. Haven't checked all of them, but I believe they're not 60FPS-locked.
Great Giana Sisters is available outside of an emulator? Where? Lemme download!

True, you DO NOT need the ULMB 60Hz hack for modern 120fps@120Hz platformers.
RealNC wrote:Anyway, once you get past 90-ish FPS, most of the blur goes away. At 120FPS, there's only little blur left.
Not for fast scrolling platformers like some of the mentioned -- especially Sonic Hedgehog speeds is a totally blurry mess at 120Hz, 144Hz and 165Hz, on TN. (And even worse for IPS). Yes, it's 50% less blurry than 60Hz.

Some of us have more "tracky eyes" than you do, RealNC....
rasseru wrote:Is it exactly the same as old CRT flicker?
When you do 60Hz single-strobe, then yes:

Fairly close, actually slightly worse flicker, because:
(A) It's a full screen all-at-once flicker rather than a top-to-bottom scanned flicker
(B) You're sitting really close to 27" monitors. We never put 27" CRT monitors on our desks.
The closest was the Sony GDM-FW900, but it had an effective 22" size.

Solutions include:
(A) Play emulator games that don't use bright solid whites, or
(B) Adjust brightness for extremely bright games
(C) Sit slightly further back (e.g. 2.5 or 3 feet away instead of 2 feet)
(D) Adjust room lighting.
(E) Acclimate. Play in small bits at a time to get used to it again.

Then I'm even comfortable with 60Hz ULMB flicker.

I went from "owie, that's bad flicker" to "oh, I don't notice the 60Hz flicker" with some adjustments like that.

ULMB 60 Hz hack looks somewhat better than the BFI tweak, because of how software BFI interacts with 6-bit FRC and creates amplified inversion artifacts (checkerboard-patterning in solid backgrounds).

That said, for 120Hz-compatible platformers, skip this ULMB hack, and do full original 120Hz ULMB. 120fps@120Hz is much better, like a 120Hz CRT.

EMULATOR LAG NOTE: Also, keep an eye on Blur Buster's lag-reducing contributions (advanced developer article: real time beam racing to synchronize emulator raster to the real-world raster) that will arrive to a few emulators -- WinUAE Amiga emulator lag has reduced from ~20-40ms to less than 5ms -- and there's an very experimental (code patch) GroovyMAME modification for real time beam racing. This will (over the next two years) probably eventually help platformer lag as emulator authors decide to adopt the lag-reducing technique we've come up with. Blur Busters is working on a few different input lag-related projects concurrently.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

rasseru

Post by rasseru » 04 Apr 2018, 12:32

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
RealNC wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Emulator platformers.... Don't forget to do the ULMB 60 Hz Hack!
Great Giana Sisters is available outside of an emulator? Where? Lemme download!

its a different game - called 'great gianna sisters, twisted dreams' Not a mario game. Wonderboy has also a new remake - called 'Wonderboy dragons trap' < i think its a remaster with modern comic graphics, not totally sure yet,only just seen it.

Am I right in thinking the only G-sync ULMB VA displays are the widescreen acer predators?

rasseru

Post by rasseru » 06 Apr 2018, 04:55

Well, I have been testing and I really like the 240hz mode of the acer, but the extra resolution makes up for it with the 1440p asus with games where I cant hit 200fps+ anyway (which is a lot of modern games) - also - lots of the platformers and more indie titles, beat em ups etc all seem to be 60fps frame locked. Which is a shame.

Also - windows shows the monitor as generic pnp, I cant find the .inf! Drivers came on a CD and arent on the website? wtf - cant get CRU to show me the timings for 60hz ULMB as of yet - can anyone help with a PG278QR.INF?

Also - it has a really bad BLB on the whole right hand 3rd of the panel, with a sharp black line running through it. I'm going to RMA it till I get a good one, as the panel is a good one for TN - much much better than my other experience with older or cheaper TN panels

But overall - wow - 240hz is AMAZING when I can hit it, everything seemed more 3D in FPS games. And ULMB is really good on the games I could test it at - i would like to try the 60hz mode for extra brightness & game support

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Apr 2018, 14:13

rasseru wrote:Also - windows shows the monitor as generic pnp, I cant find the .inf! Drivers came on a CD and arent on the website? wtf - cant get CRU to show me the timings for 60hz ULMB as of yet - can anyone help with a PG278QR.INF?
60Hz ULMB manufacturer timings don't exist (except as end-user screenshots) -- it's a custom hack mode.

Also, you don't need INF files for ULMB 60Hz hack, just download ToastyX CRU instead of NVIDIA CRU.

Instructions (brand new, 2018-04-06)
60 Hz ULMB Hack
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!