Acer GN246HL flicker.

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
nasim

Acer GN246HL flicker.

Post by nasim » 17 Apr 2018, 20:35

So, I've been having an artifacting that I don't really know how to describe, it repeats half screen for half a second similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz1qnyotEtE

Sometimes I get black bars and at least 3 kinds of pixel weirdness too, but the above is more common, all random, at any time.

Always when browsing, and usually when hovering the cursor over stuff as well, but NEVER with gaming! Anyone knows what causes this? I've had Lightboost working perfectly with this setup many times before, but whenever I need to reinstall it I get artifacting by chance, I'd guess it may be something wrong with my installation but I am unable to isolate that.

It was really confusing when I first had it because I had never seen it before and it looked like it could be all sorts of things, I was tripping all over it, I had too many recently acquired components to isolate, and there was also another weird artifacting that I don't know if it is related or not, but somehow I had my dragging bugged? It would move open windows out of my desktop and out of my reach when dragging, they would teleport all over the place, by now I think I did enough troubleshooting to say that it definitely isn't the card nor the display, neither my browsing habits/programs/extensions, it is only when I install Lightboost that the fuckery starts, it even broke a Window install I had previously, I had isolated it to my SSD but now I am very certain that it was actually what I had stored on my SSD, removing Lightboost didn't fix it, completely wiping Windows did it, then I installed Lightboost on top of that fresh install with all my stuff back and it worked fine, but that isn't something I am looking to do again, it gave me so much work.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Acer GN246HL flicker.

Post by RealNC » 18 Apr 2018, 02:45

This isn't a monitor issue. It's something in the PC. GPU, driver, OS...
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

nasim

Post by nasim » 18 Apr 2018, 14:02

RealNC wrote:This isn't a monitor issue. It's something in the PC. GPU, driver, OS...
Indeed it isn't. The display is fine.

If you mean it is a specific thing in conjunction with Lightboost that is triggering this, that I haven't ruled out, I don't know what the culprit is.

I have very high quality components, they are all fine, I tested it extensively, Lightboost is always part of the equation, and I installed it following this guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQFMhCE1Dns

There are at least 3 comments in there (and in this forum as well if I'm not mistaken) reporting the same glitching with bars/stripes, and you mention drivers lol, I once had boot artifacting from way before reaching Windows and it is really ugly, looked like my screen was melting. Anyone knows what causes this?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 18 Apr 2018, 20:08

I built a Ryzen 2200G computer for work and i have quite a few issues with display problems with the graphic screwing up. I have no idea if it's the ram, mobo, cpu/gpu it's self. Also before this i also have a 280x which also had weird desktop display issues.

I've searched for answers and I've heard just about everything with no one specific "do this and it will fix". Yea idk :/

nasim

Post by nasim » 20 Apr 2018, 04:56

Sure there are all sorts of issues, but I don't have anything on my components whatsoever, I wasted sooo much time testing them individually only to find absolutely nothing, they are all fine.

Like right now I don't have any issues because I removed all of those files, but if I decide that I really need Lightboost! That it is a must! I can C format and install everything fresh using that method being absolutely sure that it will work fine like I already did multiple times before.

It is something about the installation (maybe even user error), a leftover, or a whatever, lurking on my HD/SSD that I can't seem to be able find and remove, what I reported is nothing out of what I already gathered online, from people with the same monitor after also doing this method, like some user claimed that it "fucked his display" and then that "he had to plug onboard to fix it", I had to do that too, stripes? I had that too! Something about those files that fucks everything up.