Force where the ULMB tear gets drawn?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
rasseru

Force where the ULMB tear gets drawn?

Post by rasseru » 30 Apr 2018, 18:58

first off, many thanks to everyone who helped me get my ULMB monitor up and running, this has really rekindled my gaming love for about half my games. I can actually see them properly now - amazing.

The only thing which is bugging a bit is that when in 120hz ULMB the screen has the tear exactly in the middle. Is there any way to move this so its right at the top or the bottom of the screen?

Thanks again for all your help

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Force where the ULMB tear gets drawn?

Post by RealNC » 30 Apr 2018, 21:23

No. You need to enable vsync to get rid of tearing.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Force where the ULMB tear gets drawn?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Apr 2018, 22:25

rasseru wrote:The only thing which is bugging a bit is that when in 120hz ULMB the screen has the tear exactly in the middle. Is there any way to move this so its right at the top or the bottom of the screen?
ULMB does look best with VSYNC ON.
When you cap your framerate with VSYNC OFF, you get a stationary tearline.

If lag is a big priority -- try the cap in combination with NVIDIA Fast Sync, AMD Enhanced Sync, or VSYNC ON, using the Low Lag VSYNC ON HOWTO.

Alternatively, use overkill frame rates (e.g. 300fps+) if you want to use VSYNC OFF with blur reduction (ULMB) to compensate for ULMB-amplified visibility of stutters/tearing.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!