Strobelight and RX 580 Issues - Random white noise

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
spunky13

Strobelight and RX 580 Issues - Random white noise

Post by spunky13 » 13 May 2018, 16:12

Recently replaced my HD 7950 with a RX 580 and Strobelight seems to be acting funny.

Uninstalled the refresh rates and re-added them (120 strobing and 121 non strobing), but when strobelight.exe runs at startup, it can't detect any compatible monitors (Asus VG248QE). Even when strobelight.exe isnt running, it seems to be working properly when testing against the UFO page.

The only issue is it will randomly go completely white noise, as if the monitor is out of spec. This same behavior was repeatable with my friends rig. Same video card, same monitor, different driver (18.4.1).

Any ideas?

Asus VG248QE
AMD RX 580 (18.2.1)
Windows 10 64-bit

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Strobelight and RX 580 Issues - Random white noise

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 May 2018, 14:52

This is an odd issue that I am unfamiliar with -- maybe ask the users who posts in the LightBoost forum at monitortests.com?

I've seen the rainbow snow before in contexts unrelated to LightBoost, though. e.g. loose cable (try a different cable) or monitor defect unrelated to graphics card. Switching graphics card may have somehow caused a weaker cable connection which then sometimes have HDCP failures (Which often causes rainbow-pixel noise when you try to display an encrypted HDCP signal). All that cable stretching and jiggling during a graphics card switch, maybe?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

spunky13

Post by spunky13 » 16 May 2018, 15:21

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thinking about trying Display Port today. Just seems strange that I was able to reproduce the issue on two machines, maybe it's the DVI-D port on the video cards that are having issues. Will report back.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 May 2018, 23:21

Did you use the same cable or a different cable?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

spunky13

Post by spunky13 » 17 May 2018, 10:37

So the issue seems to go away when I switched to Display Port.

As for my friends setup, it's all different hardware, including different DVI cables. Just so happens to be the same make/models (VG248QE, MSI Armor RX580 MK2).

Advised he try using Display Port as well. Kinda weird that DVI isn't working properly anymore, but this works.
Thanks for the advice!