asus pg258q gives better results at 120hz than 240hz

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
ballot

asus pg258q gives better results at 120hz than 240hz

Post by ballot » 30 May 2018, 09:11

Hi when i use my monitor at 240hz + gysnc , browsing web
as example when i am scrolling page down i see some blurring , also in games too
but 144hz + ulmb makes me feel much better in games and in reading texts too,

not sure how to name it but i can show

this one is 240hz + gsync results Image

this one is 144hz + ulmb results Image

look to the ufo in the middle , the 240hz has always leaves something behind when background is lighter and its clearly visible

is it normal , can i fix it?

my gpu is gtx 1080ti best regards

mello

Re: asus pg258q gives better results at 120hz than 240hz

Post by mello » 30 May 2018, 09:32

Although your photos look contradictory (and not accurate) to me... but still:
ballot wrote: look to the ufo in the middle, the 240hz has always leaves something behind when background is lighter and its clearly visible
When using 240Hz+GSYNC, use Normal OD setting, and not Extreme. This should fix the problem.

ballot

Post by ballot » 30 May 2018, 09:47

mello wrote:Although your photos look contradictory (and not accurate) to me... but still:
ballot wrote: look to the ufo in the middle, the 240hz has always leaves something behind when background is lighter and its clearly visible
When using 240Hz+GSYNC, use Normal OD setting, and not Extreme. This should fix the problem.
Chase Test with background white

240hz + gysnc : Image
140hz + ulmb : Image

as you see the orange bar's a part is totally red always, when i made the test as first i thinked test's normally as that.

and now i tested with closing OD. it now worked fixed the bugs. but what exactly is OD.
thank you anyway

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 30 May 2018, 10:02

SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Vipu

Post by Vipu » 02 Jun 2018, 16:39

Well, that is what ulmb does? Removes blur.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jun 2018, 17:22

It's normal for 144Hz ULMB to be sharper than 240Hz non-ULMB.

This is just a normal feature of strobe backlights. We've noticed this behaviour with LightBoost a few years back where even 100Hz LightBoost was much clearer than 144Hz:

Currently, right now, it would require approximately a ~1000Hz display to achieve the same motion clarity as modern ULMB displays. A good educational article about how to reduce motion blur without strobing (ala LightBoost/ULMB) is found at Blur Busters Law: The Amazing Journey To Future 1000Hz Displays.

Blur reduction via strobe backlights:
4ms flash = 4ms MPRT persistence
2ms flash = 2ms MPRT persistence
1ms flash = 1ms MPRT persistence

Blur reduction via flickerfree ultra-high Hz
4ms refresh cycle (~240Hz) = 4ms MPRT persistence
2ms refresh cycle (~480Hz) = 2ms MPRT persistence
1ms refresh cycle (~1000Hz) = 1ms MPRT persistence

So that's why low-Hz strobing can sometimes look better than high-Hz unstrobed.

Advanced Users Only: Also, if photographing, we usually do pursuit camera". Pan your smartphone sideways while taking a picture. A moving camera lens is an equivalent of a moving eyeball. You must track lens whether it's a camera lens your human eye, for accurate perception of display motion blur. You can use the ladder track (Sync Track) at http://www.testufo.com/ghosting and make sure that the tickmarks align. Display reviewers use a camera rail -- many testers use our motion test inventions -- but some creative end users can carefully hand-pan their smartphone sideways while taking a photo. Just make sure that the ladder track (Sync Track) tickmarks align up in the resulting photo, just like it does with your human eyes.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Jun 2018, 02:56

I didn't notice you're using ULMB.

Yes, 144Hz ULMB is much clearer than 240Hz non-ULMB. In fact, even 60Hz ULMB is much clearer than 240Hz non-ULMB. 60Hz ULMB is usuallyy as clear as 1000Hz non-ULMB.

Why do you think so many people here still love CRT monitors? :mrgreen: They're even better than LCD monitors with ULMB.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.