Lightboost hurts my aim? is it a matter of getting used to?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
spinfusor

Lightboost hurts my aim? is it a matter of getting used to?

Post by spinfusor » 02 Jun 2018, 00:36

Monitor: ASUS VG248QE, 144hz non-strobing 120hz strobing. (my FPS never drops below refresh rate)

I tried playing with lightboost, but it seems to hurt my aim, especially flickshots. I wasn't hitting easy shots that I really should be hitting. I played a game of Overwatch with strobing on and my sniping and tracking was really bad numbers-wise and I was struggling to track simple strafe patterns. I turned it off mid-game and my accuracy quickly went back to normal percentages. Strobing on I was getting 30% accuracy sniping when it's usually 48-50%, tracking was 36% instead of 40-42%. I recorded 120FPS footage of me sniping with strobing on and slowed it down, I noticed I kept flicking to where the enemy was milliseconds ago, just grazing their head. This problem disappears when I turn off strobing.

I thought maybe strobing would slightly help me with my tracking (and maybe flicking) since it allows my eyes to better focus on a target, but it seems to have the opposite effect. Is the input lag or 24 less frames significant enough to be causing this effect, or am I just not used to it? I've tried it twice so far (very briefly) and ended up turning it off. It seems to have a lot more effect in-game than in aim trainers. Strobing mode looks good and really feels like it *should* make it easier to aim, but in practice my aim is worse!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Lightboost hurts my aim? is it a matter of getting used

Post by RealNC » 02 Jun 2018, 00:48

Muscle memory can be thrown off with changes like these. Average input lag increases slightly when going from 144Hz to 120Hz, but it's so minor on its own, that it shouldn't have an effect. Lightboost also increases input lag a bit on top of that though. I'm not sure how much exactly, but this could be up to 4ms or so total more input lag. Normally I'd say this isn't enough to throw you off, but if you've been training your muscle memory for a long time, it might have an effect.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

mello

Re: Lightboost hurts my aim? is it a matter of getting used

Post by mello » 02 Jun 2018, 02:25

Placebo IMO. Your eyes need to adjust to strobing. Also, the image being darker might initially throw you off, and this is same thing, you either need get used to darker image or you need to try to increase brightness / gamma levels.