Which refresh rate to watch movies with light strobing?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
flaviowolff

Which refresh rate to watch movies with light strobing?

Post by flaviowolff » 08 Jun 2018, 10:13

Hello, all.

I have a Samsung C24FG70 144hz which has a light strobing option. Regarding movies (24fps), at which refresh rate should I set the monitor on to best eliminate motion blur with the light strobing? Does it make a difference?

Thank you,

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Which refresh rate to watch movies with light strobing?

Post by RealNC » 08 Jun 2018, 11:49

Nope. Anything else than 24Hz strobing (which just isn't practical, you'll get a seizure :P) will result in multiple-image effect (at 144Hz strobing, you get a 6-image effect, at 120Hz strobing a 5-image effect.)

You'd need to use an interpolation software (like SVP) to convert the 24FPS video to something like 120FPS so that you can use 120Hz strobing.

Anyway, movies always have a "built-in" motion blur in them. Strobing really is useful mostly for games and maybe the desktop. For watching movies, it's not that useful, unless you interpolate them to high FPS, at which point you get the "soap opera" effect, which is what many TVs do. However, this is a matter of taste.

(If you're on an AMD GPU, I think there's a driver function that can interpolate video? I'm not sure.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

flaviowolff

Post by flaviowolff » 08 Jun 2018, 13:00

Thank you, RealNC. I really hate motion interpolation, so I guess i'll be happy with strobe off and judder-free 144hz viewing :)

I guess my Sony TV does exactly what you refer with its Clear and Clear Plus motionflow settings. Its a combination of mild interpolation and BFI..

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 08 Jun 2018, 13:31

flaviowolff wrote:Thank you, RealNC. I really hate motion interpolation, so I guess i'll be happy with strobe off and judder-free 144hz viewing :)
For the desktop, I generally recommend 120Hz, not 144Hz. 120Hz can play back more videos without judder than 144Hz can.

144Hz: 24FPS.
120Hz: 24FPS, 30FPS, 60FPS.
100Hz: 25FPS, 50FPS. (These are PAL videos, not very common, unless you're watching content intended for European TV, like Formula 1 races.)

On NVidia, you can set the "preferred refresh rate" to "highest available" in the "3D Settings" section of the nvidia control panel, and set the desktop resolution to 120Hz. This will use 120Hz for the desktop, but will switch to 144Hz when you start a (full screen) game.

On AMD (or on NVidia if the game doesn't support full screen) you will probably need to switch manually.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

flaviowolff

Post by flaviowolff » 08 Jun 2018, 16:15

Good info. Learned a lot today