Acer Predator GN246HLBbid - ghosting AFTER lightboost

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Dominik

Acer Predator GN246HLBbid - ghosting AFTER lightboost

Post by Dominik » 03 Jul 2018, 10:26

Hello guys,

I tried to fix the ghosting of my Acer Predator GN246HLBbid via the LightBoost HOWTO #3: ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility.
I followed the construction step by step.
The test image http://www.testufo.com/photo looks perfect with lightboost on and blurry with lighboost off but when i play a game I am still expierencing some type of ghosting. I uploaded two videos of csgo (vsync on). The first one is with lightboost on and the second one without it.
lightbooston_slowmotion.mp4
lighboostoff_slowmotion.mp4

My graphics card is a gtx 960 and my processor an intel i7 6700k.

I hope anyone can help me cuz i feel like my gaming experience was way better with my 60hz benq monitor that I used before. :(

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Acer Predator GN246HLBbid - ghosting AFTER lightboost

Post by RealNC » 03 Jul 2018, 10:59

Hm. That doesn't look like lightboost is actually on in either of those videos. Have you set the correct "-freq" parameter in CS:GO's launch parameters? "-freq 120" for 120Hz.

Edit:
I might be mistaken. Usually video footage of a strobed display shows flicker artifacts which I can't see here. But that might just be the camera not picking it up.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Dominik

Post by Dominik » 03 Jul 2018, 11:18

Thanks for your reply.

I didnt use the "-freq 120" parameter. I tested it now but it didnt change a thing.
Why is the test image http://www.testufo.com/photo looking perfect but every game looks like shit.
Is there a better way to show the ghosting effect than filming with a camera?
Or are there other ways to see ghosting besides the moving image test?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Jul 2018, 11:27

Just as a test, try running cs:go in windowed mode. If that fixes it, then there's something going wrong in the change to full-screen mode. Are you sure you're using native res in cs:go? (I assume your native res is 1920x1080.)
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Dominik

Post by Dominik » 03 Jul 2018, 11:31

I tried the windowed mode and it didnt help.
Yes, Im using my native resolution.
My gtx 960 is overclocked with msi afterburner. Could that have any impact on the ghosting?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Jul 2018, 11:35

Dominik wrote:My gtx 960 is overclocked with msi afterburner. Could that have any impact on the ghosting?
No, I don't think so.

Perhaps you're seeing too much crosstalk, which can look like blur.

Also, I assume when you disable lightboost, the blur disappears?

In any event, someone who actually uses the lightboost hack might be able to help more here.

Dominik

Post by Dominik » 03 Jul 2018, 11:45

Thanks for your help.
You are right. It seems like its crosstalk.
Is there any way to reduce it?