144Hz ULMB or 240Hz CSGO

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
neoskateur

144Hz ULMB or 240Hz CSGO

Post by neoskateur » 20 Jul 2018, 04:29

Hello everybody!

I love this community, I've been following it since a long time ago but I've just subscribe to the forum!

I recently bought a AW2518H and would like to know wich mode is the best,
I mean, 240hz is more smoother but is it better to use 144hz ULMB instead of 240hz ? I play the most CSGO.

Thanks a lot!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: 144Hz ULMB or 240Hz CSGO

Post by RealNC » 20 Jul 2018, 04:41

144Hz ULMB: No blur, but higher input lag.
240Hz: More blur, but lower input lag.

Pick your poison. There's no "best" choice. It's up to you what you prefer.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

neoskateur

Post by neoskateur » 20 Jul 2018, 04:46

Well thanks you for the info!
I think i'll try both but I prefer lower inputlag !

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 Jul 2018, 06:24

Note that with ULMB, using vsync ON works best. Which is why input lag is higher. But for CS:GO, vsync OFF is what the vast majority of competitive players prefer, at which point you might as well use 240Hz.

Also note that it depends on the game too! For example, when playing through the Doom 4 campaign, 144Hz ULMB + vsync ON is pretty darn good. The added vsync input lag doesn't really matter much there.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

neoskateur

Post by neoskateur » 20 Jul 2018, 09:36

RealNC wrote:Note that with ULMB, using vsync ON works best. Which is why input lag is higher. But for CS:GO, vsync OFF is what the vast majority of competitive players prefer, at which point you might as well use 240Hz.

Also note that it depends on the game too! For example, when playing through the Doom 4 campaign, 144Hz ULMB + vsync ON is pretty darn good. The added vsync input lag doesn't really matter much there.

I have like 3k hours on CSGO and I was with a 144hz panel so I think I'll stay at 240hz.
I've banish VSYNC from games a long time ago hahah

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 Jul 2018, 09:41

Well, you have g-sync now, so there's no reason to not use that instead if you're not using ULMB. (I use g-sync even for CS:GO now. I would imagine that g-sync on a 240Hz display with "fps_max 237" must be running pretty sweet.)

neoskateur

Post by neoskateur » 20 Jul 2018, 10:38

RealNC wrote:Well, you have g-sync now, so there's no reason to not use that instead if you're not using ULMB. (I use g-sync even for CS:GO now. I would imagine that g-sync on a 240Hz display with "fps_max 237" must be running pretty sweet.)
Nope GSYNC is crap, when you are at 240hz and then suddendly (like in cbble) you get 140hz it's crap!!
And GSYNC add some more input lag (I've tried it and OMG...)

I prefere not using it for CSGO XD
In fact I bought the GSYNC because I didn't wanted to have anything thing from AMD in my setup hahah

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Jul 2018, 16:33

144 Hz ULMB isn't good for CS:GO because CS:GO behaviour favours ultrahigh framerates.

ULMB is better for games that do not have a crosshairs.
HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully & Competitively
- Fix strobe lag
- Fix strobe microstutters
- Competitive usage where ULMB benefits more (than CS:GO)

GSYNC isn't as good for CS:GO as it is for certain super-stuttery games like PUBG where framerates gyrate all over the place.

You do want a 237fps cap with GSYNC though to smooth out the lag-change feel. Because GSYNC gets the sudden lag-increase effect when the framerates max-out. That's the problem in CS:GO as already explained in Jorim's GSYNC 101. CS:GO caps out a lot at maximum. So you're potentially at mercy of the lag-varying effect of slamming/unslamming the max framerate as it bounces all around.

Now, if you play games that almost never stays at full 240fps, then GSYNC starts to feel much more "consistent". It can also make lag-painful games like Battlefield 4 feel a lot more tolerable. So the benefits might not outweigh VSYNC OFF for every single competitive player at least for the specific game CS:GO. GSYNC has much more advantages in games that have much more wildly variable frame rates. GSYNC doesn't benefit high-consistent framerates but helps low-varying framerates. So you find a game that only runs 50fps-200fps (almost never hits 240fps), use GSYNC on it, then GSYNC feels a bigger upgrade on that particular game. Unlike CS:GO where GSYNC benefits are much more slim to the point where eSports players usually turn GSYNC off for that particular game.

There are those who like using ULMB for say Rocket League (ULMB benefits Rocket League much more CS:GO -- if you have a very bright ULMB display in the first place), while using VSYNC OFF for the game of CS:GO while using GSYNC for PUBG. It depends on the lagfeel and the game mechanics, some tools gain specific advantages in certain games.

Obviously, tweaking is needed to maximize GSYNC and/or ULMB benefits, it can be a totally different art of tweaking than VSYNC OFF tweaking, such as GSYNC 101 or the Low-Lag VSYNC ON trick. Sometimes for many it's easier to stick to VSYNC OFF since it's tried and true, and still really good for consistently lower-lag in every single game -- while other tweaks can be a bit more fiddly.

It takes skill to use all these weapons in your warchest. Recognize which monitor mode helps which kind of game the most. Most just stick to the tried-and-true VSYNC OFF tool because it's so good in reducing lag for many games, and also because CS:GO is super popular.

Right Tool For Right Job, I Say!

(And gamer preference, too).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

knypol

Post by knypol » 18 Aug 2018, 08:49

Hi,
whats the total input lag for ulmb 144hz + vsync on (without the low lag trick)?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Aug 2018, 10:18

knypol wrote:Hi,
whats the total input lag for ulmb 144hz + vsync on (without the low lag trick)?
Good question. Would like to know as well. Strobing in general does add latency, because the screen is kept black until the pixels have changed (it's the whole point of strobing, hiding pixel transitions).

I suspect it might be around half a frame of added latency. That is 4.2ms at 120Hz and 3.5ms at 144Hz. But not sure. And it's probably different for different panels, since the strobing mechanism is probably calibrated a bit differently for each panel, depending on how fast the pixels are, and how fast the scanout speed is when in ULMB mode.

I know you can reduce strobing latency in non-ULMB displays by forcing a higher scanout speed and adjusting strobe parameters. This sacrifices image quality (worse colors, gamma and contrast,) but you do get better latency. ULMB though does not allow you to do that. The tweaks you can do are very minimal. If you change them too much, the g-sync module refuses to accept the signal.