How to get rid of motino blur for 240hz monitor? (xl2456)

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
ayeTop

How to get rid of motino blur for 240hz monitor? (xl2456)

Post by ayeTop » 03 Sep 2018, 04:14

https://gyazo.com/44a0fe946396e781c3cdb8536fc0c20d https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEN_DRq ... st=WL&t=0s Is this normal for a dyac monitor? If yes how can I get rid of it? If not what is causing it? I had a pre-build and I replaced all my specs except hard drive, ram, and cpu. If anyone know why please help me. I've been dealing with this for 2 years. It might be because I bought a prebuid pc and replaced half of the specs. Here are the questions that i've answered. My driver is up to date. Motion blur is off in the game settings. I have factory reset my pc multiple times. Its set to 240 in nvidia, game settings, and windows. It happens on all games. I have gotten a new monitor and still the same issue. Uninstalled my drivers and reinstalled them. I've installed my cd drivers that came with motherboard, gpu, and monitor. I was getting 300fps in the video+picture. There is prob more things but, I can't think of them.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: How to get rid of motino blur for 240hz monitor? (xl2456

Post by RealNC » 03 Sep 2018, 04:45

That's video capture of the screen. Of course it will look blurry, since the camera will capture multiple frames.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

ayeTop

Post by ayeTop » 03 Sep 2018, 05:32

But thats what I exactly see.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Sep 2018, 16:19

RealNC, let's be a bit more helpful and see what may be wrong.

While video is not the best way to capture motion blur in a WYSIWYG way -- since YouTube limits the framerate to 30 frames per second and amplifies the motion blur issue.

So looking through the forest for the specific tree:

Question: Does it have anything to do with strobe crosstalk? Basically the double-image or triple-image effect? See http://www.blurbusters.com/crosstalk

There are many different things that look like display motion blur: If you can tell me which ONE of the artifacts is the one bothering you the most at the moment, then it will become much easier to help you.

Depending on your priorities (e.g. stutter? lag? blur? etc), there may or may not be solutions for a specific monitor.
It can be hard to determine which-is-what, and sometimes for a specific type of motion artifact, there are fixes.
1. You want framerate = refreshrate = stroberate if you want to minimize artifacts.
The easiest way to do this smoothly is using VSYNC ON, but VSYNC ON adds lag. There are other altnerative tricks that may help

2. You want a super smooth mouse (1000Hz mouse) since microstutter can amplify motion artifacts

3. You want a blur reduction mode (e.g. ULMB, DyAc, etc) if you're bothered by persistence-related blur

4. For blur reduction to avoid strobe crosstalk, you want a refresh rate far below monitor's max since pushing Hz can amplify strobe crosstalk. For example, try a large VT at ~144Hz or ~180Hz with a 1/240sec scanout velocity. This provides more time to hide LCD pixel transitions in the blanking interval between refresh cycles. 240fps@240Hz strobed can have compromises which are perfectly livable if you don't mind them -- but some people prefer 144fps@144Hz Large VT, or 182fps@182Hz Large VT.

Some tweaks are easy (e.g. adjusting certain monitor settings), and some tweaks (e.g. Large Vertical Totals) are very technical.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ayeTop

Post by ayeTop » 03 Sep 2018, 18:55

Chief Blur Buster wrote:RealNC, let's be a bit more helpful and see what may be wrong.

While video is not the best way to capture motion blur in a WYSIWYG way -- since YouTube limits the framerate to 30 frames per second and amplifies the motion blur issue.

So looking through the forest for the specific tree:

Question: Does it have anything to do with strobe crosstalk? Basically the double-image or triple-image effect? See http://www.blurbusters.com/crosstalk

There are many different things that look like display motion blur: If you can tell me which ONE of the artifacts is the one bothering you the most at the moment, then it will become much easier to help you.

Depending on your priorities (e.g. stutter? lag? blur? etc), there may or may not be solutions for a specific monitor.
It can be hard to determine which-is-what, and sometimes for a specific type of motion artifact, there are fixes.
1. You want framerate = refreshrate = stroberate if you want to minimize artifacts.
The easiest way to do this smoothly is using VSYNC ON, but VSYNC ON adds lag. There are other altnerative tricks that may help

2. You want a super smooth mouse (1000Hz mouse) since microstutter can amplify motion artifacts

3. You want a blur reduction mode (e.g. ULMB, DyAc, etc) if you're bothered by persistence-related blur

4. For blur reduction to avoid strobe crosstalk, you want a refresh rate far below monitor's max since pushing Hz can amplify strobe crosstalk. For example, try a large VT at ~144Hz or ~180Hz with a 1/240sec scanout velocity. This provides more time to hide LCD pixel transitions in the blanking interval between refresh cycles. 240fps@240Hz strobed can have compromises which are perfectly livable if you don't mind them -- but some people prefer 144fps@144Hz Large VT, or 182fps@182Hz Large VT.

Some tweaks are easy (e.g. adjusting certain monitor settings), and some tweaks (e.g. Large Vertical Totals) are very technical.
https://gyazo.com/a51ad80edffae30d7b81404e9ce745a3 https://gyazo.com/a6984cd87c445eaf2653ac4d5fa07d81 https://gyazo.com/dee6bfbb6a5303513816c2649d1883b2 What are these? Which one do they go into?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Sep 2018, 11:38

Could you upload full resolution images?
You uploaded thumbnails so I can't see the details.
Appreciated!

If you're using TestUFO Ghosting test:
-- For stationary photography of strobe crosstalk, try to set camera exposure to one refresh cycle (1/240sec for 240Hz)
-- For pursuit photography, use 1/30sec and pan the camera at the same speed of UFOs while taking a picture.

In addition, take a look at LCD Motion Artifacts 101 -- does any of the photos match roughly what you're experiencing?
(Strobe crosstalk artifacts can look similar to PWM artifacts).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ayeTop

Post by ayeTop » 05 Sep 2018, 08:53

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Could you upload full resolution images?
You uploaded thumbnails so I can't see the details.
Appreciated!

If you're using TestUFO Ghosting test:
-- For stationary photography of strobe crosstalk, try to set camera exposure to one refresh cycle (1/240sec for 240Hz)
-- For pursuit photography, use 1/30sec and pan the camera at the same speed of UFOs while taking a picture.

In addition, take a look at LCD Motion Artifacts 101 -- does any of the photos match roughly what you're experiencing?
(Strobe crosstalk artifacts can look similar to PWM artifacts).
Sorry about that. Here: https://gyazo.com/c0aa8631639a68fee85c80dae411b602 https://gyazo.com/2888efa2792fef6ed729077762d13dd5 https://gyazo.com/cd9e9cdc8b8d566dc5e1c687a2b8354d

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Sep 2018, 15:02

Probably strobe crosstalk.

(Although your photography is not optimal, I'm assuming your 'blur problem' is a multiple-image problem)

To fix that, use the Large Vertical Total trick with either 144Hz or 182Hz -- then adjusting strobe phase for the clearest center-of-screen. Careful tweaking of this will greatly reduce strobe crosstalk if you are bothered by it. This is an advanced tweaking trick, so be careful -- some of the recommended steps are documented at www.blurbusters.com/crosstalk -- the 182 Hz version settings is there, but for even further improvement, you can follow the Appendix A instructions to get 240Hz Pixel Clock with a 144Hz refresh rate, to fix the multi-image effect (strobe crosstalk).

ayeTop

Post by ayeTop » 10 Sep 2018, 23:38

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Probably strobe crosstalk.

(Although your photography is not optimal, I'm assuming your 'blur problem' is a multiple-image problem)

To fix that, use the Large Vertical Total trick with either 144Hz or 182Hz -- then adjusting strobe phase for the clearest center-of-screen. Careful tweaking of this will greatly reduce strobe crosstalk if you are bothered by it. This is an advanced tweaking trick, so be careful -- some of the recommended steps are documented at http://www.blurbusters.com/crosstalk -- the 182 Hz version settings is there, but for even further improvement, you can follow the Appendix A instructions to get 240Hz Pixel Clock with a 144Hz refresh rate, to fix the multi-image effect (strobe crosstalk).
It didn't help but thanks for the suggestion. Probably the monitor is the problem. I'm gonna request a RMA soon I guess.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Sep 2018, 12:28

Motion Blur -versus- Multiple Images

Don't mix the two up!!! !!! !!! !!!

Are you talking about plain motion blur? (things look smoothly blurry)
...Improve this via high framerates and/or using blur reduction modes.

Or are you talking about multiple-image effects (stepped effects)
...See below

The Multiple-Image Problem

There are multiple causes of this. Some fixable, some unfixable:
1. PWM dimming backlights. Fix by getting a monitor with PWM-free dimming (Note: Doesn't affect your monitor)
2. Low framerates on strobed displays ala 30fps@60Hz. Fix by going framerate = refreshrate = stroberate
3. Strobe crosstalk if using blur reduction mode. Some tweaks are possible in Strobe Crosstalk FAQ
4. Plain old-fashioned phantom array effect. Fix by turning on GPU motion blur

The plain old fashioned Phantom Array effect

Are you seeing it on all monitors you ever purchased in your lifetime?

It's a stroboscopic effect called the "phantom array effect" -- an unfortunate permanent fixture of all monitors (until we reach really unobtainium refresh rates, e.g. >1000 Hertz). It's the same thing as the mouse-stepping issue.

(From article Blur Busters Law And The Amazing Journey To Future 1000Hz Monitors)

You will not be able to ever avoid this unless you enable artificial GPU motion blur. This is a common effect that is seen when fixed-gazing at crosshairs without tracking moving objects, motion will always be stepped ever since the dawn of the invention of using static images to represent moving images, and this type of artifact is also why even just only 1000 Hz isn't yet perfect enough for passing a theoretical Holodeck Turing Test (tricking a person that virtual reality is real) -- and the more "retina" a display is, the higher the Hz necessary to pass the reality test.

Objects moving at different speed than your eyegaze point (e.g. moving objects while staring stationary objects, or stationary objects while staring at moving objects) -- will always have this form of phantom-array effect at current refresh rates (even 240Hz and 480Hz). It's just unfortunate, and being the World's first website to test 480Hz, this is a limitation that still continues and is only solved via either GPU motion blur and/or unobtainium refresh rates (to lessen/eliminate the need for adding GPU motion blur). Unfortunately if you hate motion blur, you're stuck with the alternative option of using unobtainium refresh rates. That's why we need 1000Hz monitors.

NOW.... if you track moving objects then this should not be happening. There can be extra stroboscopic effects (e.g. strobe crosstalk, overdrive problems, poor pixel response, etc) so if you see the problem only on some displays and not all displays -- then you may have a fixable problem.

Understanding The Problem Helps You Fix The Problem

However, it's important to "Know The Different Display Limitations", the fixable ones and the unfixable ones.