Cant get more than 60hz on external monitor from laptop

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
CGraham

Cant get more than 60hz on external monitor from laptop

Post by CGraham » 09 Nov 2018, 12:35

Hi There,
Aware there's a lot of possibilities as to why I'm don't seem to be able to get more than 60hz on the external monitor that I've got, so will try to be as concise as possible with info while also not forgetting anthing.

Laptop is an Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-571. To output to external monitor, laptop only has a 2.0 HDMI port. I am using a HDMI 2.0 cable.
The monitor that I'm using is a BenQ 32EX00R (144hz 1080p monitor). User manual says that it can be used at 120hz at 1980x1080p over HDMI.
https://benqesupport.blob.core.windows. ... _UM_EN.pdf

Next, I have my display settings set to 120hz (as max i can do with monitor over HDMI), in NVIDIA Control Panel under 'display'.
Also have refresh rate set to 120hz in Windows 10 Settings, under display settings > advanced display settings > display adapter properties > monitor tab > 120hz on drop down list.

I cant find any reason why UFO test wont come up with anything more than 60hz when even windows recognizes that I can get 120hz via the hdmi.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm a bit trumped here!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Cant get more than 60hz on external monitor from laptop

Post by RealNC » 10 Nov 2018, 18:33

Run a game with vsync ON, and then use an FPS OSD. If it says 120FPS, it works correctly and the issue is a web browser bug. Try different browsers maybe too. Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge, Internet Explorer.

With Firefox, try and force GPU acceleration. Go to about:config (just enter it in the address bar) and search for "acceleration". There should be an entry called "layers.acceleration.force-enabled". It's a toggle. Double-click it and it should switch from "false" to "true". Restart Firefox. Does it now work?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

CGraham

Re: Cant get more than 60hz on external monitor from laptop

Post by CGraham » 11 Nov 2018, 20:16

RealNC wrote:Run a game with vsync ON, and then use an FPS OSD. If it says 120FPS, it works correctly and the issue is a web browser bug. Try different browsers maybe too. Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge, Internet Explorer.

With Firefox, try and force GPU acceleration. Go to about:config (just enter it in the address bar) and search for "acceleration". There should be an entry called "layers.acceleration.force-enabled". It's a toggle. Double-click it and it should switch from "false" to "true". Restart Firefox. Does it now work?

Cheers mate thats fixed it! Turned out it was just an issue with Chrome - i switched over to Firefox and it came up 120hz straight away