Questions about blur and deciding what should I buy.

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
jadefire5643

Questions about blur and deciding what should I buy.

Post by jadefire5643 » 22 Nov 2018, 15:11

Hello, I'm new here. So first of all, I recently ordered two monitors: AOC C24G1 (144hz) and AOC AG251FZ (240hz). Both were decent but I had a major issue with both that made me refund them: when you move the camera around in games, the image is really blurry. Now this is not a problem in any of the UFO tests on this website. The UFOs were moving just fine with no blur. I'm not sure why you guys use blurred 2D images on those pages that talk about blur reduction - shouldn't you have a 3D animation where the camera gets moved around so you can see the object get blurred when that happens? Or maybe that's just me and I'm not looking at the right thing.

Anyway, it was just unbearable. Not much point having 144-240 Hz if it's so blurry when you move the camera around. And no, the overdrive thing did not help at all. My problem is the blur, not ghosting. So this made me look into motion blur reduction monitors, assuming that this is the problem. I want to ask you guys which monitors have the BEST blur reduction and aren't super expensive? I know there are a couple of examples on the pages that talk about the blur reduction, but is there a complete list of them? I want to search each of them in local stores and check if the price isn't too high. Also, I want 1080p and 24-25" inch, not more than that. And the side effects of enabling blur reduction are probably going to be worth it to me. Lastly, I don't care for GSYNC (and those ones are really expensive). I never notice screen tearing, so it's not a problem for me.

Currently I see the ASUS VG248QE at a decent price here, and you guys wrote that it has LightBoost. Can it reach LightBoost 10%? If so, is that actually the great "1 ms persistence" if I set it to 10%? There is also the BENQ ZOWIE XL2411 and the LG 24GM79G-B at the same price. What about them? Do they have the best blur reduction?

There are also some BENQ monitors in your list of best gaming monitors (XL2411T, XL2420T, XL2420TE) that have LightBoost, and not the BENQ Blur Reduction? Regardless, none of them are available here, but I am curious. Also, how do I know which BENQ monitors have the Version 2 of the BENQ Blur Reduction? On the 1000hz journey page, the Version 2 is specified at the 1ms persistence.

So it's between ASUS VG248QE, LG 24GM79G-B, and BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P. Going by my assumptions, these models are supposed to have the best type of blur reduction? They are all at the same price, so which one of them should I get?
Last edited by jadefire5643 on 23 Nov 2018, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.

Vechs

Re: I have some questions about motion blur.

Post by Vechs » 22 Nov 2018, 17:22

Cant exactly make you pick which screen you may prefer best, but if you are concerned about motion blur, the BenQ xl2411P has built in Blur Reduction, that you can adjust with Motion blur software from this site or you could get the LG one.
ULMB and manual strobing is one of the best ways to reduce motion blur, but at the expense of crosstalking (probably someone will be adding pictures, but if not, i will add them later)
Pros/cons about benq monitors :
Cons : bad color reproduction out of the box,
Pros : has built in Blur reduction mode, VT1350 trick.
LG monitor
Cons : Ghosting/badly configured out of the box settings
Pros : Is newer than BenQ model
Also!
It is worth noting, before buying the monitor you want, check if the graphics card allows 144/240hz, because some older cards don't support it.
Hope someone else will add for this, but until then, take this information.

jadefire5643

Re: I have some questions about motion blur.

Post by jadefire5643 » 23 Nov 2018, 00:35

Vechs wrote:Cant exactly make you pick which screen you may prefer best, but if you are concerned about motion blur, the BenQ xl2411P has built in Blur Reduction, that you can adjust with Motion blur software from this site or you could get the LG one.
ULMB and manual strobing is one of the best ways to reduce motion blur, but at the expense of crosstalking (probably someone will be adding pictures, but if not, i will add them later)
Pros/cons about benq monitors :
Cons : bad color reproduction out of the box,
Pros : has built in Blur reduction mode, VT1350 trick.
LG monitor
Cons : Ghosting/badly configured out of the box settings
Pros : Is newer than BenQ model
Also!
It is worth noting, before buying the monitor you want, check if the graphics card allows 144/240hz, because some older cards don't support it.
Hope someone else will add for this, but until then, take this information.

Thanks for your reply!
When you say 'out of the box', what exactly does that mean? Does it mean that it's poorly configured by default? Because that's not going to be a problem - I will be fiddling with them anyway until I get the best results.
And my GPU is GTX 970, so there's no problem there.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Questions about blur and deciding what should I buy.

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Nov 2018, 19:54

Three answers! :D

1. Do you have a priority of ultimate motion clarity?

Firstly, if your number one priority is motion clarity above all other priorities -- then you should use a Motion Blur Reduction Feature similar to LightBoost, ULMB, ELMB, DyAc, "1ms MPRT", or other brand names that represents a strobe backlight. Neither of your monitors support a blur reduction feature.

2. Not all 240Hz monitors have the same motion clarity.

If your priority is motion clarity WITHOUT a "blur reduction feature", please bear in mind that the AOC monitor actually apparently doesn't have the best 240Hz clarity, according to pursuit camera tests.

3. Which monitors have blur reduction?

To find monitors that have a blur reduction feature, refer to our Official Monitor List:

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jadefire5643

Re: Questions about blur and deciding what should I buy.

Post by jadefire5643 » 24 Nov 2018, 02:47

Is there a difference in the quality of the blur reduction between two monitors that use the same brand? So for example between a cheaper BenQ and one of the more expensive ones? Or are they the same in that regard?

And do you guys know if BenQ Blur Reduction is better or worse than the LG Blur Reduction? As you can see, this is my top priority :D