Strobe Utility Save Settings

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
LB123

Strobe Utility Save Settings

Post by LB123 » 08 Dec 2018, 07:55

Quick dumb question, how does the Strobe utility (https://www.blurbusters.com/benq/strobe ... ersistence) work saving settings wise, do i just run it once, do my setting and close it. Or do i need to run every time i restart my pc or something. Thanks ;)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Strobe Utility Save Settings

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Dec 2018, 23:16

It saves the settings directly into the computer monitor. It uses DDC/CI over the monitor cable to directly control the monitor settings that normally is only accessible via the Factory Menu.

Strobe Utility can just be run once if you're just sticking to a specific resolution & refresh rate (and specific vertical total, if you're using that custom resolution tweak to reduce strobe crosstalk).

You don't have to start it again unless you want to re-tune it for a different refresh rate, different vertical total, or other different display optimization (e.g. readjusting Persistence).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

LB123

Post by LB123 » 09 Dec 2018, 09:17

Gotcha, thanks very much! Also, if i understand correctly to make the most of this feature i need to be running at 120frames no higher or lower? Would games such as league of legends or fps games like battlefield see an improvement being capped at 120fps rather than 144/uncapped? Is their a differnce between vsync and capping fps? Sorry for so many questions :D

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Dec 2018, 14:29

Well, blur reduction will have benefits at other frame rates but the benefits greatly diminish at lower framerates.

If you want to run a framerate different than the refreshrate, always try to err on higher frame rate -- e.g. 300fps at 120Hz.

The issue is that once your frame rate falls below display strobe rate (single strobe, double strobe, PWM, whatever), you start getting more duplicate images (this isn't the strobe crosstalk, but multi-strobing the same frame)

To avoid unnecessary duplicate images, keep frame rates matching strobe rate. The most perfect "TestUFO.com smoothness" motion in games can occur when framerate exactly matches refresh rate. (There's a new low-lag "VSYNC ON"-like trick called RTSS scanline sync that can help with that...)

If you're a motion fluidity perfectionist, sometimes lower refresh rates can also be a tool to smooth the blur-free motion. For solo gameplay, 100fps@100Hz can look a lot better than 115fps@144Hz, if you don't need the potentially lower lag that higher Hz often allows.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!