Inverse ghosting with S2417DG in ULMB mode

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
mrsamstar

Inverse ghosting with S2417DG in ULMB mode

Post by mrsamstar » 20 Dec 2018, 12:44

I mainly get ghosting on my desktop with text. I do get inverse ghosting in games as well but I do not notice it enough for there to be a problem. My GPU is 1070 and CPU is 4790 nonk.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Inverse ghosting with S2417DG in ULMB mode

Post by RealNC » 20 Dec 2018, 13:45

You're seeing crosstalk (pixel response time causes ghosting in non-ULMB mode and crosstalk in ULMB mode.) Which is normal in backlight strobing modes (like ULMB.)

With that being said, is ULMB on the desktop really that useful? :P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

mrsamstar

Post by mrsamstar » 20 Dec 2018, 16:39

My Asus VG248QE doesn't have it when I do the light boost hack. Scrolling is so nice with no blur plus its annoying to keep switching.

mrsamstar

Post by mrsamstar » 20 Dec 2018, 16:44

I can still return this monitor. My main interest is to have the best ULMB experience. What monitors are actually the best for ULMB. I don't really care about gsync

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Dec 2018, 18:31

Depends on your priorities:
-> Maximum motion clarity with minimum strobe crosstalk?
-> Best colors?
-> Lowest lag?
-> Brightest images?
-> Console compatibility or not?
-> Ease
-> Vendor compatibility (NVIDIA only, or vendor independent)

For lowest-lag strobing, it's hard to beat 240Hz DyAc on XL2546. For 144Hz strobing, the XL2411P has among lowest lag but you must tweak a lot more (harder).
For minimum strobe crosstalk, using low Hz strobing on high-max-Hz monitor. Hard to beat 85Hz-100Hz ULMB on a 240Hz G-SYNC monitor
For brightest strobing, you want voltage-boosted strobing. They are more common on 240Hz monitors (both DyAc and ULMB)
For ease, NVIDIA ULMB is hard to beat since it's an ON/OFF setting
For vendor independence, you will have to find something other than ULMB which works with NVIDIA GPUs only
For console compatibility, I like the BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P + single strobe using Blur Busters Strobe Utility
For best colors, a strobed 1440p IPS monitor, or select well-tuned VA panels such as Samsung CHG70 series is excellent colors (albiet slightly ghosty/crosstalky in dark dungeon games)

So kinda a choose-your-priorities thing.

See Official List of Best Gaming Monitors for a list of monitors that supports motion blur reduction features.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!