Which monitor to buy?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Which monitor to buy?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Apr 2014, 18:07

naivaklam wrote:great, thanks a lot. yes, for me it is most important to remove motion blur at high frame rates.
That's the job of the strobe technologies (LightBoost, ULMB, Turbo240, BENQ Blur Reduction).
naivaklam wrote:one more question, since it seems hard to get that MSTAR ISP in germany: ive just read the manual for doing that update by yourself. is it right that i just need this

and a vga cable? and if so, whats this called? LPT-D-Sub adapter or something? :p
For questions about MSTAR ISP upgrading, post those questions in the BENQ Blur Reduction topic area.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

naivaklam

Post by naivaklam » 12 Apr 2014, 09:42

oke, thanks a lot

is there actually any shop from USA that sells the v2 firmware monitor (xl2411z) to germany/europe that u know of, or does only the official benq site sell it? ( i just noticed my pc doesnt even have an input for that LPT adapter)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Apr 2014, 04:08

naivaklam wrote:oke, thanks a lot

is there actually any shop from USA that sells the v2 firmware monitor (xl2411z) to germany/europe that u know of, or does only the official benq site sell it? ( i just noticed my pc doesnt even have an input for that LPT adapter)
Contact your regional BENQ to check if they are currently shipping Version 2.
Also, you can upgrade via USB, if you purchase the MSTAR ISP upgrader.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

naivaklam

Post by naivaklam » 17 Apr 2014, 10:34

hi again, just got the monitor and ive gotten the one with V1 firmware. i already ordered that tool to upgrade to V2 though.

can u guys recommend me anything to get the best possible settings for this monitor besides the ones with the blur reduction tool?
ive read about ICC profiles that can make the colours better, but only found some for the XL420Z.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Apr 2014, 14:53

naivaklam wrote:can u guys recommend me anything to get the best possible settings for this monitor besides the ones with the blur reduction tool?
ive read about ICC profiles that can make the colours better, but only found some for the XL420Z.
The XL2411Z and XL2420Z uses the same panel, so the ICC for the XL2420Z will also work on the XL2411Z.

They are essentially the same monitor, with the same LCD panel glass, the same picture adjustability, except the XL2420Z uses a fancier case/bezel, has a built-in carrying handle, touch-sensitive onscreen menu buttons, extra inputs (e.g. DisplayPort), and a remote button pad (S-switch) and is easier to switch inputs with (e.g. console vs computer). The 11Z is the budget 120Hz monitor, while the 20Z has value-adds.

naivaklam

Post by naivaklam » 17 Apr 2014, 16:46

thanks, ive tried an ICC from pcmonitors.info. its way better now.
but why 120 hz monitor? because its the recommended Hz setting for this monitor?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Apr 2014, 21:34

naivaklam wrote:thanks, ive tried an ICC from pcmonitors.info. its way better now.
but why 120 hz monitor? because its the recommended Hz setting for this monitor?
144Hz is best for non-strobed mode.
However, if you use motion blur reduction, 120Hz is better, since 144Hz doesn't allow enough time for good-quality motion blur reduction (enough time between refreshes for LCD GtG pixel transitions to be completed, for a strobe backlight).

naivaklam

Post by naivaklam » 18 Apr 2014, 08:49

ah oke. its just that im playing some old game where i can steady 125 fps. i thought 144 hz would be better than since i thought with 120 hz those 5 fps might be "missing".

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 18 Apr 2014, 09:04

naivaklam wrote:ah oke. its just that im playing some old game where i can steady 125 fps. i thought 144 hz would be better than since i thought with 120 hz those 5 fps might be "missing".
You can create a custom resolution, 1920x1080@125Hz with the VT1502 trick. It works.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

naivaklam

Post by naivaklam » 27 Apr 2014, 14:05

what exactly is that VT1502? didnt really find much about it on the forums