Scanline sync is AMAZING !

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
alexander1986

Scanline sync is AMAZING !

Post by alexander1986 » 17 Jan 2019, 03:00

Just wanted to share my experience and results after some experimenting and help from a friend who plays a lot of PUBG, and I play a lot of Fortnite, I wanted to try out scanline sync but couldnt figure out what values to put in rtss and what to put in the rtss fortnite game profile, so my friend sent me his PUBG RTSS profile and I just copied everything in the [Framerate] section to my own fortnite profile and tried it out,

the result is incredible, I have to say honestly its crazy !

if anyone plays fortnite or pubg (same engine) you can also try this, maybe it also works for other games, this is for 1920x1080 resolution anyway:

I changed from these, my old profile values: (limiting to 120 fps with rtss and vsync off gave me much better result for some reason than ingame 120 fps limit and vsync off)

[Framerate]
Limit=120
LimitDenominator=1
LimitTime=0
SyncScanline0=0
SyncScanline1=0
SyncPeriods=0

To this:

[Framerate]
Limit=0
LimitDenominator=1
LimitTime=0
SyncDisplay=0
SyncFlush=1
SyncHotkeys=1
SyncScanline0=-180
SyncScanline1=0
SyncTimeout=1
SyncPeriods=0

vsync off ingame and forced off in nvidia drivers, no limit on fps ingame, max prerendered frames 1, this is on a lightboosted asus vg248qe monitor @ 10% lightboost effect, 120 hz @ 1920x1080, the result is 99.99% lack of tearing, input lag same as no vsync , but my aim and vision/clarity and ability to react fast, and precise is so much higher/better now because of no tearing and no stutter! Its like night and day honestly !

gpu load is never more than 50% or so, I play with all quality settings at the lowest anyway except for FXAA enabled in nvidia drivers to remove aliasing a bit, as im bottlenecked by my old i5-3470 cpu but I can imagine if you crank up details and put a heavier load on gpu then there will be tearing, but anyway thats it, those scanline sync values might not even be optimal for the game or my setup but the result is incredible either way,

If anyone is using lightboost/ULMB and playing pubg or fortnite, I urge you to try this! if you are running 1920x1080 like me or even if you play in another resolution you can still copy paste the values and just tweak the scanline values above I would guess, only important thing is vsync off, might even get super good results without lightboost/ULMB its just that im so used to the CRT-like clarity of strobing I will never play without it :P cant stand motion blur,

anyway thats all I have, just wanted to share this! put those values in your pubg/fortnite RTSS profile (might even be good for other games) disable vsync everywhere, tweak scanline values if needed / other resolution than 1080p, max prerendered frames 1, put unlimited framelimit ingame and see what happens! also try to set game gfx quality settings at some level where your gpu is not heavily loaded, for me its never over 50-60% max what I can see, can use that as a guide perhaps,

anyway back to gaming now it feels like a new game lol :D feels like playing on a high hz CRT with vsync off only that it looks exactly like vsync on, zero tearing and stutter ! frametime graph is completely flat 99.99% of the time with 120 fps 8.3 ms rock solid :D

full system specs if interested:

asus vg248qe monitor lightboost enabled @ 10% @ 120 hz 1920x1080
i5-3470 cpu @ 3.5 ghz slight overclock
8gb ddr3 ram
some cheap toshiba SATA SSD drive
evga 1060 gtx 6gb running in "k-mode" with evga precision X OC app (forces boost clocks on core and ram at all times regardless of gpu load)
win 10 1803 with game mode disabled, "disable fullscreen optimizations" ticked in the game.exe, high precision event timer disabled in bios and spectre/meltdown patch disabled aswell with Inspectre app (old cpu so squeezing out everything I can from it lol)

thats it, Cheers !

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Scanline sync is AMAZING ! [for ULMB/LightBoost]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jan 2019, 04:44

alexander1986 wrote:f anyone is using lightboost/ULMB and playing pubg or fortnite, I urge you to try this! if you are running 1920x1080 like me or even if you play in another resolution you can still copy paste the values and just tweak the scanline values above I would guess, only important thing is vsync off, might even get super good results without lightboost/ULMB its just that im so used to the CRT-like clarity of strobing I will never play without it :P cant stand motion blur,
Glad you love scanline sync!

It was a feature suggestion I provided to Guru3D that they nicely implemented.

It's certainly not the easiest RTSS feature, but it really eliminates a lot of ULMB/LightBoost disadvantages (amplified microstutter, strobe lag) for those who really prefer to play with 100% stutter-free blur reduction!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

alexander1986

Re: Scanline sync is AMAZING ! [for ULMB/LightBoost]

Post by alexander1986 » 17 Jan 2019, 11:32

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
alexander1986 wrote:f anyone is using lightboost/ULMB and playing pubg or fortnite, I urge you to try this! if you are running 1920x1080 like me or even if you play in another resolution you can still copy paste the values and just tweak the scanline values above I would guess, only important thing is vsync off, might even get super good results without lightboost/ULMB its just that im so used to the CRT-like clarity of strobing I will never play without it :P cant stand motion blur,
Glad you love scanline sync!

It was a feature suggestion I provided to Guru3D that they nicely implemented.

It's certainly not the easiest RTSS feature, but it really eliminates a lot of ULMB/LightBoost disadvantages (amplified microstutter, strobe lag) for those who really prefer to play with 100% stutter-free blur reduction!
for sure man, feels like the good old days of playing quake on my overclocked 17" CRT @ 640x480 154 hz 600+ fps LOL, but even better to be honest :P the difference is extreme atleast in my eyes! super happy :D

ericl

Re: Scanline sync is AMAZING !

Post by ericl » 17 Jan 2019, 18:05

Is this only for people that have issues with not enough FPS that causes tearing lines? I read that scanline sync was a type of software sync for people that don't have gsync/freesync monitors.

I suppose what I care about is... if I'm running a constant 300fps on a 240hz monitor, then there is no need to do this, is there?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 17 Jan 2019, 18:12

ericl wrote:I suppose what I care about is... if I'm running a constant 300fps on a 240hz monitor, then there is no need to do this, is there?
This for people who want vsync without input lag. If you use gsync/freesync, than you don't need it. If you don't use gsync/freesync and don't care about tearing, then you also don't need it.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

ericl

Post by ericl » 17 Jan 2019, 18:19

Thanks!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jan 2019, 19:06

ericl wrote:Thanks!
In other words:

Scanline sync is one of the world's lowest-lag "VSYNC ON" equivalent modes*
*Caveat: When correctly configured

Scanline sync is for people who want perfect "framerate = refreshrate" at the lowest input lag.

Basically, perfect TestUFO-smooth stutter-free ULMB in their video games -- without the lag of using VSYNC ON.

Basically, ULMB without the jitters/microstutters.

ULMB amplifies stutters, and sometimes we need an ultra-low-latency VSYNC ON mode because some of us hate the lag of VSYNC ON. However, scanline sync is not always easy to configure. Here's a Instruction Guide to Scanline Sync if you want to try one of the world's lowest lag framerate-refreshrate synchronized modes.

The instructions are not easy as simply turning "VSYNC" = "ON" but a well configured/calibrated scanline sync means you can have the perfect stutterfree VSYNC ON without the input lag of VSYNC ON. Which means, smooooooooth CRT-like ULMB without jittering/microstuttering! Perfectly TestUFO smooth ULMB in games.

To successfully pull it off is fairly demanding though:
- Extreme quality framepacing needed
- 0.1% frametimes no longer than a refresh cycle
- GPU power high enough to meet this criteria
- Sometimes refresh rate needs to be slightly lowered to achieve "framerate = Hz" to above criteria

Once successful, glassfloor framepacing can occur with perfect frametime=refreshtime sync. Not many non-VR games implement lag-lowering techniques while maintaining perfect framerate=refreshrate sync.... so scanline sync is one of the many tools of bringing that into off-the-shelf traditional games that can achieve sufficiently high framerates.

For simplicity and ease, most people use "VSYNC ON" to pull this off, but to pull off "VSYNC ON" with excellent framepacing without adding input lag, is extremely difficult. That's why scanline sync was invented! It's complex but it's an excellent tool.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

pox02

Post by pox02 » 21 Jan 2019, 15:35

OMGGGG this settings so amazing with my 2518hf wtfff you are legend bro its 1-1 with freesync like for real best feeling ever same as freesync thank you so much for this but can i ask its lock on 239 fps cause its vsync on?
monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu XL2546 XL2546K NXG252R

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 21 Jan 2019, 15:42

pox02 wrote:OMGGGG this settings so amazing with my 2518hf wtfff you are legend bro its 1-1 with freesync like for real best feeling ever same as freesync thank you so much for this but can i ask its lock on 239 fps cause its vsync on?
If you have freesync, why are you using scanline sync?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

pox02

Post by pox02 » 21 Jan 2019, 15:43

RealNC wrote:
pox02 wrote:OMGGGG this settings so amazing with my 2518hf wtfff you are legend bro its 1-1 with freesync like for real best feeling ever same as freesync thank you so much for this but can i ask its lock on 239 fps cause its vsync on?
If you have freesync, why are you using scanline sync?
i was testing this only but again its feels same as freesync which is amazing ;)
monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu XL2546 XL2546K NXG252R