VG248QE Upgrade?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Litzner

VG248QE Upgrade?

Post by Litzner » 04 Mar 2019, 16:36

I was looking at replacing my VG248QE with something that is a little more updated. I specifically wan't low motion blur, low latency, good contrast, and FreeSync support, 24-25", 1080P or maybe just 1 step higher. Looking around it looks like I am kind of stuck with this VG248QE for the time being huh? I see some options out there, like the BenQ XL2546, but the price point to get into those seems like its not worth the upgrade to me.

Should I just wait until something like a low motion blur OLED pops up, or some new similar tech?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: VG248QE Upgrade?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Mar 2019, 22:23

You could meet most of your upgrade needs but access to good blur reduction -- while also having access to GSYNC/FreeSync -- does add some premium.

One possible interim option is this reasonably priced 144Hz IPS monitor -- ASUS VG279Q -- it has ELMB motion blur reduction and FreeSync support for about 300. The latest firmware on the VG279Q reportedly has an improved ELMB mode that is much more similar looking to ULMB, though more strobe crosstalk than LightBoost, you are getting full IPS color and a much brighter ELMB picture, so this is a great $300 interim monitor with relatively minor compromises.

Low motion blur OLEDs (once they arrive) will be amazing but will probably cost much more than the XL2546 initially and have their own potential compromises (like risk of burn-in).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 06 Mar 2019, 06:28

I would love to get the ASUS VG279Q. I think it's overlooked. Only saw good opinions of it. It has everything one could need!!
I believe known websites will eventually review it.
Since i'm waiting for the ViewSonic XG2402 for a lower price, by the time it happens, this ASUS might be lower too and i will get this one instead.

Litzner

Post by Litzner » 06 Mar 2019, 15:40

I have been doing a ton of research and I think I am going to wait a little bit more. It looks like monitors on that new AUO 24.5 in panel with a 0.5ms response time are coming "soon".

bread

Post by bread » 11 Mar 2019, 08:41

Asus VG258QR

Litzner

Post by Litzner » 11 Mar 2019, 12:57

bread wrote:Asus VG258QR
That is one I have been specifically look at, but it doesn't look to be available in North America yet.

Patrick

Post by Patrick » 08 May 2019, 15:17

I’m in the same boat, looking to upgrade from an ASUS VG248QE sometime in the near future, but none of the newest options seem like they’re worth the price.

I don’t really care about Gsync, FreeSync, or 4K. I just want
-next-frame input response
-better brightness, color and contrast while doing strobing + black frame insertion
-a rotatable stand (for vertical scrolling shmups).
-an IPS panel

The ASUS VG279Q looks like it checks all the boxes, but how bright does it get while strobing? I couldn't find any specs related to this. My primary reason for wanting to upgrade is to have better brightness, contrast and colors while strobing.

I’m mostly using the display for retro gaming through emulators, and I’m using scanlines and black frame insertion, so I need A LOT of brightness.

Would I be better off going for an IPS with ULMB?

Currently, the only way I can get an acceptably bright and colorful image is by cranking contrast and brightness to 100%, and then using software to increase luminance and saturation by an additional 10%. This gets me close to what I see on my VGA CRT monitor. This results in some clipping in the high end, but there isn’t any lost detail 99% of the time when playing a retro game because they rarely used the entire range.