Lightboost not working ingame with ToastyX method [fixed]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
random

Lightboost not working ingame with ToastyX method [fixed]

Post by random » 01 Apr 2014, 14:55

Hello, i own the 24" 144hz Asus as most people here.

I also own the nvidia 3d kit.

I tried the "disable 3D mode ingame" and it works. Strobelight work and motion blur is gone. But the framerate doesnt seem stable, something is off with this technique.

So i wanted it to work with the ToastyX method. But it doesnt. It works on desktop, it works when testing with a browser. But once you start a full screen app, in this case a game, it turns off and motion blur is there.
Also at this point ingame i can go thru the monitor preset modes (theater, rgb, normal, game ...) its not in 3d mode and strobe lights are off.

What am i doing wrong ?

thank you very much in advance for your time and all the effort you are putting in this app/site/support .....

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Lightboost not working ingame with ToastyX method

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Apr 2014, 19:48

random wrote:So i wanted it to work with the ToastyX method. But it doesnt. It works on desktop, it works when testing with a browser. But once you start a full screen app, in this case a game, it turns off and motion blur is there.
Also at this point ingame i can go thru the monitor preset modes (theater, rgb, normal, game ...) its not in 3d mode and strobe lights are off.
This is usually because it's trying to select the non-strobed refresh rate. For example it easily works in source engine games but is a bit more stubborn with Battlefield 3 (needs a bit of tweaking).

Choose any one of the following methods (don't need to do them all):

METHOD 1: Configure your game's refresh rate
Try going into your game preferences and switching refresh rates. 121Hz versus 120Hz; one of them is strobed (LightBoosted) and one of them is not strobed (non-LightBoost).

METHOD 2: Force LightBoost on via strobelight-setup.exe
If that does not work you can lock LightBoost on. Rerun strobelight-setup.exe and install only strobed modes. You won't be able to easily turn off LightBoost (Except by unplugging your monitor for 5 seconds, or re-rerunning strobelight-setup), but your games will be forced to run in LightBoost mode.

METHOD 3: Create a new custom 1920x1079 resolution for LightBoost
Another, possibly easier method is creating a new custom resolution (using NVIDIA Custom Resolution, or ToastyX CRU app, a different ToastyX app) creating a 1920x1079 (1 pixel less) that is 120Hz with a Vertical Total of 1147. Don't add any 60Hz refresh rate; make the only refresh rate of 1920x1079 a 120Hz LightBoost refresh rate (LightBoost = Vertical Total 1147). So for games that are stubborn, you can simply switch the resolution to 1920x1079 in their resolution configuration, and they are automagically forced to run in LightBoost mode.

METHOD 4: Get an easier strobed monitor, one that's easier and better than LightBoost
If this still is an issue -- Keep in mind that LightBoost is a first-generation strobe backlight, and superior second generation strobe backlights (no color tints, brighter, easier to turn on/off) has now arrived in the form of ULMB, Turbo240 & BENQ Blur Reduction. If ease of motion blur elimination is important, it can be worth it.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

random

Post by random » 02 Apr 2014, 12:09

Yes.

The problem was that source engine (CS:GO) was forcing the non-strobed refresh rate. It didnt matter at all if i was switching with the keyboard from 121hz to 120 strobed.

Left only the strobed refresh rate to the monitor and it works.

Thank you again.

ToastyX

Post by ToastyX » 02 Apr 2014, 21:46

Source games use the desktop refresh rate. Check the NVIDIA control panel under "Manage 3D Settings" and make sure "Preferred refresh rate" is set to "Application-controlled" and not "Highest available" so it doesn't force 121 Hz.

random

[fixed] Lightboost not working ingame with ToastyX method

Post by random » 03 Apr 2014, 08:23

You nailed it. It was set to highest.

Thank you again