Will there ever be an ultrawide with decent performance?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Bishi

Will there ever be an ultrawide with decent performance?

Post by Bishi » 31 Mar 2019, 05:20

So I've been using a BENQ XL2730Z for years, once calibrated its a great screen especially since I exclusively use it for ULMB and it has a great performing TN panel and one of the brightest ULMB modes around.
I figured it was time to once again try to upgrade to an ultrawide (I tried the X34 years before and wasn't impressed) and based on the reviews and the fact it recently received a firmware fix I opted for an LG 34GK950F, 1440P and IPS but it did have blur reduction which made my mind up.
But... I absolutely couldn't bear the blur and strobe crosstalk on this screen (crosstalk was pink/green too which was odd) and have immediately prepared it for return. Have I just been spoilt by using a ULMB TN panel for all these years?
I was excited for the LG 38GL950G that is coming (1600p@175hz) but that is an IPS too so maybe it wouldn't be suitable.

TL;DR When are there going to be TN ultrawide panels at 1440p@144hz or above that can compete in performance with screens like my old XL2730Z? Is OLED going to be the (very expensive) saviour? Or will it still have performance disadvantages in comparison?

EDIT: Maybe I should have posted this in the General section but it is kinda about ULMB :)

RonsonPL

Re: Will there ever be an ultrawide with decent performance?

Post by RonsonPL » 31 Mar 2019, 22:54

Don't hold your breath.

Stupid mainstream matters and mainstream has no idea how good and useful low persistence can be.

Consoles implement checkerboard and temporal anti-aliasing. Next we see it forced in PC ports now. Meanwhile free-sync, g-sync and adaptive shading are all praised while being anti-low persisence ideas. Things look bad. Really bad.
OLEDs may turn out to be a disappointment as well, since they suffer from black smearing and rolling scan artifacts + they're not too friendly with high brightness levels required by low persistence. Also, LG just bragged about fastest OLED TVs on the market, with... 3.5ms pixel response time. That's, as you know, is far from crystal clear motion clarity achievable by good TN LCDs (albeit at very short strobe settings, so very dark)

Even mini-LEDs and micro-LEDs aren't a sure thing. At least I'm not so sure when I read about technologies which are worked on, to allow for cheaper solutions. If micro led has something like basically an LCD part on top of some of the LEDs, then it may not be the savior either. There's a ton of ideas on how to use one type of diodes for all R+G+B sub pixels and I don't have enough knowledge to know what it can mean. I am sceptical though, cause I am waiting since SEDs and FEDs. Those were superb, but got abandoned due to being not mass market-friendly. Sadly. So now I am not going to have any hopes until I see a released product tested.

VR was to be the savior, but again, big corporations knowing absolutely nothing about core gaming, are only focusing on the widest audience possible, so instead of going from OLED 1080p RGBs 120Hz to higher res and 180 or 240 or even 480Hz, we went from 120 to 90, and now to 80Hz, which is flickery as hell and now down to LCDs. And resolution isn't high enough to allow for a decent virtual display either.

There's still some hope, but not for 2019 or 2020, I'm afraid. Probably way more before we get a decent virtual screen in VR, with a price affordable by gamers, not just VR businesses.
Keep your eyes on this:
https://www.microled-info.com/

jorimt

Re: Will there ever be an ultrawide with decent performance?

Post by jorimt » 31 Mar 2019, 23:02

Bishi wrote:I opted for an LG 34GK950F, 1440P and IPS but it did have blur reduction which made my mind up.
But... I absolutely couldn't bear the blur and strobe crosstalk on this screen (crosstalk was pink/green too which was odd) and have immediately prepared it for return. Have I just been spoilt by using a ULMB TN panel for all these years?
IPS typically has higher native GtG (slower pixel transitions) than TN, which = more crosstalk in strobed modes. It doesn't help that overdrive presets usually aren't applicable in most strobed modes either, so, for strobing, you want the lowest native GtG possible, and for LCD tech, TN is currently the best for that.
RonsonPL wrote:Also, LG just bragged about fastest OLED TVs on the market, with... 3.5ms pixel response time. That's, as you know, is far from crystal clear motion clarity achievable by good TN LCDs (albeit at very short strobe settings, so very dark)
Are you talking about MPRT or GtG? Because LG is saying 3.5ms MPRT for OLED, not GtG; OLED has a virtually 0 GtG equivalent (near instantaneous native pixel response time), whereas TN has 1ms GtG with overdrive applied, at best, and that's usually based on minimum readings (even the best TN panels are currently closer to a 2-3ms GtG average or so with optimal overdrive presets in use while avoiding overshoot).

So sure, some TN panels probably can achieve lower than 3.5ms MPRT in strobe modes, but, unlike OLED, they will still ghost/smear/crosstalk in those modes due to their higher native GtG, whereas OLED will not (for GtG reasons, at least).
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)