ULMB + SVP Pro 4 is amazing.

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
zendavis

ULMB + SVP Pro 4 is amazing.

Post by zendavis » 01 Apr 2019, 23:32

I'm using a Dell S2716DG monitor and I've set the ULMB to 18 + use SVP 4 Pro. The clarity and motion smoothness is ridiculous. This is only really practical for darkroom/nighttime watching because of how dark the screen gets but the clarity is downright brilliant. I highly recommend everyone using ULMB to download the SVP 4 trial and give it a go. The trial is free so what have you got to lose?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: ULMB + SVP Pro 4 is amazing.

Post by RealNC » 02 Apr 2019, 03:48

Been using it for ages on Linux. The Linux version is offered for free :-)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 02 Apr 2019, 21:21

If I understood this right it converts any video/movie to 60 fps in realtime, more or less? :P

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 02 Apr 2019, 21:38

alexander1986 wrote:If I understood this right it converts any video/movie to 60 fps in realtime, more or less? :P
Yes. Also to 120FPS (if the GPU can handle it.)
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

JordanV

Post by JordanV » 03 Apr 2019, 09:22

zendavis wrote:I'm using a Dell S2716DG monitor and I've set the ULMB to 18 + use SVP 4 Pro. The clarity and motion smoothness is ridiculous. This is only really practical for darkroom/nighttime watching because of how dark the screen gets but the clarity is downright brilliant. I highly recommend everyone using ULMB to download the SVP 4 trial and give it a go. The trial is free so what have you got to lose?
I have also been using it for years and can attest to how amazingly clear it renders certain shots. Panning in particular. But it can introduce some serious motion interpolation artifacts to the point where it looks better disabled. It also hiccups with movies with inconsistent framerates or aspect ratios. All in all I think it was worth buying.

For my use, which is to upsample 4k30 from a Sony A7III (hopefully won't have to anymore when the Sony A7SIII comes out) to 60fps, SVP not only generally renders motion more smoothly but has a side effect of a kind of image stabilization for handheld footage. Even when it introduces artifacts, I'll turn on the demonstration mode and it will convince me to leave SVP enabled.

GFresha

Post by GFresha » 03 Apr 2019, 19:43

zendavis wrote:I'm using a Dell S2716DG monitor and I've set the ULMB to 18 + use SVP 4 Pro. The clarity and motion smoothness is ridiculous. This is only really practical for darkroom/nighttime watching because of how dark the screen gets but the clarity is downright brilliant. I highly recommend everyone using ULMB to download the SVP 4 trial and give it a go. The trial is free so what have you got to lose?
This is just for movies yeah? Not gaming?!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Apr 2019, 20:58

GFresha wrote:This is just for movies yeah? Not gaming?!
It's only for video players.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Apr 2019, 16:10

SVP Project is amazing with ULMB, indeed! Especially with fast-shutter camera material.

This will be a futurist reply, but Blur Busters predictions have generally been reasonably accurate over the years.

VIDEO: True UltraHFR Video - Realtime 240fps, 480fps or 1000fps Video (not slomo!)

In the long term (20+ year timeline), the better alternative is genuine UltraHFR (240fps, 480fps and 1000fps real-time video on 240Hz, 480Hz and 1000Hz displays). I have written an article about pioneer Ultra HFR experiments, including the very important Tips section to get around the diminishing curve of returns.

This may only be a niche industry, but the diminishing curve of returns require somewhat dramatic jumps up the curve. As a rule of thumb, 120fps-vs-1000fps is roughly as dramatic as 60fps-vs-120fps.
60fps = 1/60sec = 16.7ms
120fps = 1/120sec = 8.3ms (an 8.3ms improvement in blur)
1000fps = 1/1000sec = 1ms (another 7.3ms improvement in blur)

So, thus the next step after 120fps HFR should be 1000fps HFR for future 1000Hz displays. It is a massive horsepower jump, but any video chip capable of 8K 120fps (4 million pixels per second) is also capable of 1080p 1000fps (2 million pixels per second) and early pioneer experiments are beginning to begin. (e.g. speeding-up Phantom Flex videos into real time in the laboratory).

GAMES: Frame Rate Amplification Technologies (FRAT)

Also for games, increasing frame rates in games is an ongoing research, especially because of virtual reality, but will gradually filter down to non-VR.

FRAT is the umbrella terminology we've come up with techniques to increase frame rates in a (near) visually lossless manner with fewer full-resolution renders.

Known publicly released frame rate amplification technologies (FRAT):
- NVIDIA Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS);
- Oculus Asynchronous Spacewarp (ASW) that laglessly converts 45fps to 90fps;
- Ultralowlag Game Mode Interpolation (Samsung NU8000 HDTV, etc);
- Alternating High-Resolution vs Upconverted Low-Resolution Frames (paper)
- Etc.

There are also some game-specific techniques that dynamically adjust detail to keep frame rate high, such as Forza Motorsports. This is an ongoing area of research and will, over the long term, become a major area of study. Most frame rate amplification technologies only go up to a 2:1 amplification ratio. However, over the next generation, Blur Busters believes that future algorithms can achieve 5:1 to 10:1 frame rate amplification ratios, which will be important for future 1000Hz displays.

Check out the new article: www.blurbusters.com/frame-rate-amplification-tech
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

JordanV

Post by JordanV » 04 Apr 2019, 22:31

Chief Blur Buster wrote:SVP Project is amazing with ULMB, indeed! Especially with fast-shutter camera material.

This will be a futurist reply, but Blur Busters predictions have generally been reasonably accurate over the years.
The bad news is that most professional content is produced using the 180 degree shutter rule which is the best solution for motion at the intended 24/30 fps playback but worse for interpolation. Hollywood has been reluctant to change so I guess we have to live with a compromise like SVP for a while. As for driving demand from the consumer side, the lighting requirements also increase massively for high frame rate capture which means that consumer capture devices which must accommodate typical lighting will be highly limited in the recording frame rates practicable and therefore offered. Even just 60fps capture on my S9 suffers noticeably in anything but bright lighting. I still capture everything at 4K60 despite the quality loss because I prefer motion clarity but I shudder to think how noisy 240fps would be. Good quality HFR video can be done but widespread adoption is much less likely compared to HFR gaming.

Image sensors are already near maximum quantum efficiency so I think the way forward will be fused sensor capture as demonstrated (not particularly well) in the HMD Nokia 9. For me, I would appreciate the increased depth of field, reduced size, and lower cost compared to, say, a full frame camera with a fast lens.

That's my futurist two cents. Out of curiosity, who all works at BlurBusters? I thought it was pretty much just you, Mark.