So I Turned Off Lightboost...

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Litzner

So I Turned Off Lightboost...

Post by Litzner » 06 Apr 2019, 10:00

I was getting annoyed at some of my games that do not support 100+FPS\Hz, like some that are 60fps capped, so I decided to turn off Lightboost for the first time in years (VG248QE). I was thinking maybe the improved input latency may give me a added advantage as well in the FPS games I play. First thing I noticed is my blacks were way blacker again, also the colors were SOOOO vivid, almost to the point where they were distracting, as I was used to Lightboost and they now looked over saturated (I calibrate my displayed with a ColorMunki and DisplayCal).

I started playing a FPS game I frequent, I definitely noticed that in fast motion things were not as clear, but it didn't feel like it was effecting me much at first. I typically almost 100% of the time perform the best in the game, which the guys I play with remind me of frequently by throwing shade my way. First thing I notice is that with Lightboost off I am having a much harder time getting 1st place, guys who hardly ever beat me are contending and making me work for it. I think maybe this is just me getting used to non-lightboost again, so I give it three days. For 3 days I feel like I am playing poorly, and sometimes even coming in 2nd or 3rd for back to back games, which is simply unheard for me, at least with the guys I play with. At this point they are talking so much shit...

On the 4th day I lose another game and I immediately quit, turn on Lightboost and re-calibrate my monitor. I get back in game and boom, easy 1st place, getting over twice as many kills as second place. Almost every game since I turned it back on I won, and if I didn't it was usually because we were doing something silly, like melee only. I know Lightboost adds a little input latency, but I think the reduced motion blur must make me notice\react quicker to action on the screen.

It looks like Lightboost is my crutch now. I just need to figure out how to get 60fps locked games to display without a double image\stuttering at 120hz.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: So I Turned Off Lightboost...

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Apr 2019, 13:48

Certainly, Properly Using ULMB(LightBoost) Beautifully and Competitively can give you plenty of competitive advantages that overcomes the little input lag of strobing!

That said.... LightBoost is like a fixed-Hz 100/120Hz monitor.

Why not purchase a monitor capable of 60Hz strobing such as the BenQ XL2411P? It does flicker a lot more in 60fps but it looks absolutely beautiful for 60fps games if you can tolerate the 60Hz strobe flicker.

That said, 120Hz on XL2411P is much harder to calibrate than LightBoost, because of all the manual tweaking needed (Strobe Duty, Strobe Phase/Area, Large Vertical Totals, etc) but it's pretty powerfully flexible in its ability to single-strobe at any Hz the monitor supports.

Few vendors permit 60Hz single-strobing because it flickers too much.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Litzner

Post by Litzner » 08 Apr 2019, 12:43

I have been looking at the stable of BenQ monitors, but they are still pretty pricey for how long they have been out. I have been holding out hoping some new monitor tech comes along that advances things a bit, but I may bite if the right deals comes around. I have been watching the new VG248QR, but it appears to only do ELMB at 120-144, or so I have gleamed from reading online, but its hard to get concrete info on ELMB\Dyac\ULMB ranges.

Litzner

Post by Litzner » 08 Apr 2019, 12:49

Also, I thought maybe running SSync X\2 + Enhanced Sync at 120hz would stop the double image\stutter in my 60fps locked games, but it doesn't appear to, but maybe I wasn't doing something right.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 09 Apr 2019, 01:48

Litzner wrote:Also, I thought maybe running SSync X\2 + Enhanced Sync at 120hz would stop the double image\stutter in my 60fps locked games, but it doesn't appear to, but maybe I wasn't doing something right.
Try ssync x/2 without enhanced sync. Use vsync OFF.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Apr 2019, 03:31

There will be no way to stop the double image effect of 60fps at 120Hz with any tricks, except the software black frame insertion trick (e.g. blacking out every other strobe)

No Scanline Sync trick can ever do it -- it is simply law of physics of the double strobe.

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 20 Apr 2019, 19:14

Chief Blur Buster wrote:There will be no way to stop the double image effect of 60fps at 120Hz with any tricks, except the software black frame insertion trick (e.g. blacking out every other strobe)

No Scanline Sync trick can ever do it -- it is simply law of physics of the double strobe.

hm so wait, how do you black out every other strobe to get rid of double image effect with lightboost 60 fps @ 120 hz?

if I understood correctly that is the only method of getting rid of the effect, but how do we perform this method? :D

cheers