GN246HL lightboost appears as on but appears to not work

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Directr

GN246HL lightboost appears as on but appears to not work

Post by Directr » 21 Apr 2019, 16:31

Recently i attempted enabling lightboost multiple times. sadly after many tries despite the light on my GN246HL being green,
refresh rate being 120hz in all places and testing many times the motion blur is exactly the same on my screen.

i've tried looking everywhere for anyone with a similar issue but i can't find any.

relevant specs:

monitor: acer GN246HL
GPU: GTX 1070

i used the toastyx cru method exactly as it is written down.

anyone have any ideas because i absolutely do not know what to do right about now.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: GN246HL lightboost appears as on but appears to not work

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Apr 2019, 11:08

There is a special exception for the GN246HL:

Do not use ToastyX CRU, that is unnecessary, use ToastyX Strobelight instead. That's a different ToastyX product.

First, install the ToastyX Strobelight installer as instructed at www.blurbusters.com/lightboost

For the GN246HL, the installer will fail with a message but it will have installed both a 120Hz and 121Hz mode anyway.

Next, go to Control Panel and switch between the 120Hz and 121Hz mode. This will turn on/off LightBoost. Make sure to view www.testufo.com both ways.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Directr

Post by Directr » 22 Apr 2019, 11:51

Thank you for the response. after using the strobelight instead which i originally didn't use because it wasn't in the supported list AND also appeared to fail i didn't use it. now after some testing i finally managed to get it to work. thank you so much for the response.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Apr 2019, 13:04

Great!

The GN246HL is a strange LightBoost monitor.

It fails partially but works anyway, because LightBoost on this model is not unlocked in the same way as other models of monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Dirt Dusters

Post by Dirt Dusters » 06 Feb 2020, 08:05

Directr wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 16:31
Recently i attempted enabling lightboost multiple times. sadly after many tries despite the light on my GN246HL being green,
refresh rate being 120hz in all places and testing many times the motion blur is exactly the same on my screen.

i've tried looking everywhere for anyone with a similar issue but i can't find any.

relevant specs:

monitor: acer GN246HL
GPU: GTX 1070

i used the toastyx cru method exactly as it is written down.

anyone have any ideas because i absolutely do not know what to do right about now.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/1170993
&
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/m ... .FG6AA.B01

Scroll down for this monitor specs.

What steps did you do to enable lightboost? I'm trying to get it to work for GN27hl.

Thanks.