Why I can not set pulse width with ELMB!?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
rrisk93

Why I can not set pulse width with ELMB!?

Post by rrisk93 » 28 May 2019, 01:52

I am very interested in ELMB-SYNC from Asus, but I realized that except ULMB, all other manufacturers does not have option to set pulse width in detail!

I wish Nvidia is working on ULMB-SYNC monitor and leave option to set pulse width.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Why I can not set pulse width with ELMB!?

Post by RealNC » 28 May 2019, 03:42

Well, the effect of changing pulse width has on motion blur is rather minimal in my experience anyway.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 May 2019, 09:46

RealNC wrote:Well, the effect of changing pulse width has on motion blur is rather minimal in my experience anyway.
For some people, it's a major thing.

Pulse width optimization is more noticeable if you keep your microstutters under extreme control (e.g. VSYNC ON, ultrasmooth mouse, etc).

I've seen pulse width adjustable in non-ULMB monitors such as BenQ/Zowie monitors. Some manufacturers add pulse width afterwards.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

rrisk93

Post by rrisk93 » 28 May 2019, 13:39

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
RealNC wrote:Well, the effect of changing pulse width has on motion blur is rather minimal in my experience anyway.
For some people, it's a major thing.

Pulse width optimization is more noticeable if you keep your microstutters under extreme control (e.g. VSYNC ON, ultrasmooth mouse, etc).

I've seen pulse width adjustable in non-ULMB monitors such as BenQ/Zowie monitors. Some manufacturers add pulse width afterwards.

Thats why I really want ULMB-sync!!

Without complicated Vsync setting, it might look very good in 10% pulse width.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 May 2019, 03:00

The good news is that default ELMB-Sync has the same pulsewidth as LightBoost 10%.

The pulsewidth does not seem to be adjustable but the good news is that the default pulsewidth of ELMB-Sync is already all the way down to MPRT 1.0ms, which is equivalent to LightBoost 10%. Not a bad default, at least.

(That said MPRT 0.5ms already exist in some models of monitors, which is the equivalent of going below LightBoost 10%).

LightBoost 100% = MPRT ~2.0ms
LightBoost 50% = MPRT ~1.5ms
LightBoost 10% = MPRT ~1.0ms

ELMB-Sync is now available in 3 monitors -- IPS, TN and VA panel. Check out the coverpage of Blur Busters (11am ET May 28)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

rrisk93

Post by rrisk93 » 29 May 2019, 05:36

Chief Blur Buster wrote:The good news is that default ELMB-Sync has the same pulsewidth as LightBoost 10%.

The pulsewidth does not seem to be adjustable but the good news is that the default pulsewidth of ELMB-Sync is already all the way down to MPRT 1.0ms, which is equivalent to LightBoost 10%. Not a bad default, at least.

(That said MPRT 0.5ms already exist in some models of monitors, which is the equivalent of going below LightBoost 10%).

LightBoost 100% = MPRT ~2.0ms
LightBoost 50% = MPRT ~1.5ms
LightBoost 10% = MPRT ~1.0ms

ELMB-Sync is now available in 3 monitors -- IPS, TN and VA panel. Check out the coverpage of Blur Busters (11am ET May 28)

Do you mean

https://www.blurbusters.com/strobed-fre ... reduction/

this link? I knew Asus announced 3 monitor in Computex, but I cannot find Blur Busters' coverpage.

By the way, It's very good to hear ELMB-Sync have MPRT 1ms !! I wonder how they managed low brightness problem tho.

It could be better there were 1440p 240hz ELMB-Sync TN pannel monitor(I was waiting lenovo y27gq), I guess Asus's custom chip for ELMB-Sync have no capacity to handle 1440p 240hz maybe?

Yet, I believe 144hz ELMB-Sync have better motion quality than 240hz gsync or 144hz fixed ULMB.

I cannot wait for new monitors!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 May 2019, 14:07

It was scheduled to publish at 11am ET, the page is now up:
https://www.blurbusters.com/asus-announ ... tn-panels/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 May 2019, 14:11

rrisk93 wrote:By the way, It's very good to hear ELMB-Sync have MPRT 1ms !! I wonder how they managed low brightness problem tho.
Voltage boost tricks. LEDs can be olvervotaged briefly for about 3x-5x light output if it's brief. Some manufacturers use this with strobe backlights, to try and maintain reasonable brightness.

Also, LEDs have become brighter and brighter. HDR means you need 1000nit and beyond -- even 10,000nit. All that HDR-bright LEDs has been a boon for nit headroom to make strobing brighter.

LEDs now light up stadiums these days, it's simply keeping making LEDs brighter and more efficient. The problem is solving itself.

The Talbot-Plateau Law means you need to flash twice as bright for half as long, to maintain the brightness. So MPRT 1ms needs to be flashed twice as bright as MPRT 2ms, to maintain the same lumens at same refresh rate.

Fortunately, as you already observe, LEDs are getting brighter and more efficient. They have already come up with 10,000-nit experimental displays (I saw one at CES), which means you can have 90% reduction in motion blur while still keeping 1000 nits (strobed HDR!). Or 97% reduction in motion blur while still keeping 300 nits.

It's sometimes "We don't need 10,000 nits in a desktop monitor" that keeps putting underpowered LEDs in a monitor that won't maintain nits during strobing.

rrisk93

Post by rrisk93 » 30 May 2019, 02:52

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
rrisk93 wrote:By the way, It's very good to hear ELMB-Sync have MPRT 1ms !! I wonder how they managed low brightness problem tho.
Voltage boost tricks. LEDs can be olvervotaged briefly for about 3x-5x light output if it's brief. Some manufacturers use this with strobe backlights, to try and maintain reasonable brightness.

Also, LEDs have become brighter and brighter. HDR means you need 1000nit and beyond -- even 10,000nit. All that HDR-bright LEDs has been a boon for nit headroom to make strobing brighter.

LEDs now light up stadiums these days, it's simply keeping making LEDs brighter and more efficient. The problem is solving itself.

The Talbot-Plateau Law means you need to flash twice as bright for half as long, to maintain the brightness. So MPRT 1ms needs to be flashed twice as bright as MPRT 2ms, to maintain the same lumens at same refresh rate.

Fortunately, as you already observe, LEDs are getting brighter and more efficient. They have already come up with 10,000-nit experimental displays (I saw one at CES), which means you can have 90% reduction in motion blur while still keeping 1000 nits (strobed HDR!). Or 97% reduction in motion blur while still keeping 300 nits.

It's sometimes "We don't need 10,000 nits in a desktop monitor" that keeps putting underpowered LEDs in a monitor that won't maintain nits during strobing.

Wow, I really want to see both bright and blurless monitor!!

But in this interview,

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/tuf ... nc-3799337

Asus seem to think 1000 nit HDR is more important than low MPRT with high brightness....

If you have a chance to contact them, please tell we are eager for 0.2ms MPRT with over 300 nit brightness 240hz monitor!