Question about Strobe and G-Sync

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
SS4

Re: Question about Strobe and G-Sync

Post by SS4 » 05 Jan 2014, 08:49

Maybe im misunderstanding too but Eizo does not show more than 120 lighted fps, the 240 includes the time when the LED are off so basically any 120 hz lightboost monitor could be considered turbo 240. I think the major difference is that instead of a software hack like toasty to get the strobe effect its included in the monitor.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 05 Jan 2014, 09:39

Hm, when I had a CRT, I would run 60FPS content in 120Hz mode (Doom 3 was capped at 60, and most emulators.) I don't remember any weirdness; it was smooth as butter with no artifacts whatsoever.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jan 2014, 12:56

SS4 wrote:Maybe im misunderstanding too but Eizo does not show more than 120 lighted fps, the 240 includes the time when the LED are off so basically any 120 hz lightboost monitor could be considered turbo 240. I think the major difference is that instead of a software hack like toasty to get the strobe effect its included in the monitor.
Actually, EIZO uses 240 strobes per second to stay true to the Turbo240name and reduce flickering. However, it is 120 dominant strobes (about 2.5 milliseconds) with 120 minor strobes in between (less than 0.5 milliseconds). This is not ideal, as those are repeat strobes onthe same refresh, but it supposedly reduces flicker a bit, in tradeoff without producing too excessively strong a double image effect during fast motion. It is there, slightly, in motion tests.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jan 2014, 12:59

RealNC wrote:Hm, when I had a CRT, I would run 60FPS content in 120Hz mode (Doom 3 was capped at 60, and most emulators.) I don't remember any weirdness; it was smooth as butter with no artifacts whatsoever.
There is a double edge artifact during LightBoost, but it can be subtle if you aren't looking for it. See www.testufo.com 60fps vs 120fps, while LightBoost is enabled.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 05 Jan 2014, 19:53

RealNC wrote:Hm, when I had a CRT, I would run 60FPS content in 120Hz mode (Doom 3 was capped at 60, and most emulators.) I don't remember any weirdness; it was smooth as butter with no artifacts whatsoever.
Doom 3 actually uses 64 Hz engine timing and is capped at 64 fps which can cause severe timing problems at 60 Hz with vsync. For me it ran smoothly except for large skips forward in time once per second. Strangely it ran very smoothly capped at 64 fps with my monitor set to 75 Hz.

The "64 Hz bug" plagues the Gamebryo engine and is responsible for all the microstuttering problems in Bethesda games as well as Divinity 2 and others. Why John Carmack of all people would use this in his own engine completely escapes me.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Actually, EIZO uses 240 strobes per second to stay true to the Turbo240name and reduce flickering. However, it is 120 dominant strobes (about 2.5 milliseconds) with 120 minor strobes in between (less than 0.5 milliseconds). This is not ideal, as those are repeat strobes onthe same refresh, but it supposedly reduces flicker a bit, in tradeoff without producing too excessively strong a double image effect during fast motion. It is there, slightly, in motion tests.
So that's why they are advertising it as 240 Hz. None of the advertising really hints at how it works, they just keep throwing the "240 Hz" label out there without explaining how it's different from existing blur reduction technologies.