Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
heckenjoni

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by heckenjoni » 07 Jan 2020, 10:23

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 20:39
Zealot wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 19:39
Picked up my XG270 today and I must say the PureXP+ mode is fantastic, the motion clarity is absolutely stunning. Playing PoE with it enabled is pure joy. My only complaints so far are that the IPS glow is a bit strong and that the stand interferes with my mousepad, other than that its a fantastic monitor.

Im eagerly awaiting the PureXP firmware update, is there an ETA when it will be available?
I will be meeting with ViewSonic later during CES 2020 and will ask about this.

Also, the Blur Busters Approved official public announcements are arriving this week! We held off the public announcements till CES.
with the new "Blur Busters Approved" id like to ask (only if you are allowed to answer this ofc) if other companys already asked you, il want to buy the viewsonic xg270 but if you tell me there is a chance that something similar with something like "PureXP+" comes out in the 24"/25" formfactor id be willing to wait a bit longer !

Zealot

Post by Zealot » 07 Jan 2020, 16:09

I am obviously not speaking for Blurbusters but i'd say theres a pretty strong chance of 24" Blurbusters certified monitors to exist in the future. They probably didnt launch their new certification program just for the XG270.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Jan 2020, 02:06

The programme has now been officially announced on Blur Busters:
BlurBusters.com wrote: Image

New “Blur Busters Approved” Monitor Certification Program Announced at CES 2020 for Display Motion Blur Reduction Modes
(Link to announcement on BlurBusters.com)

Blur Busters, our name sake, was born because displays needed motion blur reduction modes such as LightBoost. For a decade, we have worked hard to improve slow LCDs. Older LCDs generated too much display motion blur, worse than even an old CRT. We are inventors of multiple display tests that many reviewers and youtubers use.

Just as AMD certifies FreeSync, and NVIDIA certifies G-SYNC, Blur Busters is now certifying motion blur reduction modes on gaming monitors, smartphones, televisions, virtual reaity, and other displays.

What is Blur Busters Approved?

Blur Busters Approved is a monitor certification program that is a seal of approval for quality of motion blur reduction. We use our custom in-house test equipment to tune and certify display motion blur reduction on gaming monitors.

Blur Busters Seal of Approval
  1. Improved color quality of motion blur reduction
    Old strobe backlights such as LightBoost were poor color quality, and had large brightness loss. A Blur Busters Approved monitor means better color quality during motion blur reduction. IPS monitors containing motion blur reduction can contain nearly 100% sRGB color gamut!
  2. Eliminate strobe crosstalk double-images
    Many low-quality strobe backlights generate too much strobe crosstalk, creating harsh looking motion. A Blur Busters Approved monitor means less strobe crosstalk.
  3. Adjustable persistence with variable MPRT
    Reducing motion blur sometimes leads to large brightness loss. We understand two different pixel response benchmarks, GtG versus MPRT. A Blur Busters Approved monitor means adjustable trade-off between brightness versus motion clarity. In addition, flexible strobe level adjustments allows adjustable MPRT that can become better than 1ms MPRT.
  4. Additional refresh rates with motion blur reduction
    More refresh rates are made available with motion blur reduction on a Blur Busters Approved monitor. Lower refresh rates can mean reduced strobe crosstalk, while high refresh rates can mean reduced input latency.
  5. Firmware upgradeable
    Monitors are getting complex with more features. Worried about bugs? Firmware upgradeable means increased peace of mind! Manufacturers are required to permit end-user firmware upgrades in order to get the Blur Busters seal of approval.
  6. Vastly improved motion blur reduction at lower Hz on a high Hz monitor
    Refresh rate headroom is very healthy for motion blur reduction. 120 Hz strobing on a 240 Hz monitor can be tuned to be vastly superior quality to 120 Hz strobing on a 144 Hz monitor. Even though users have a choice of higher-Hz motion blur reduction, people who prefer CRT will be pleased to know that a Blur Busters Approved monitor, strobed at a Hz well below maximum, can produce a motion experience superior to a CRT.
CES 2020 Launch Premiere with ViewSonic XG270

Blur Busters has partnered with ViewSonic to custom-tune PureXP to meet Blur Busters Approved criteria.

A recent Amazon review written written that the ViewSonic XG270 is superior to a Sony FW900 CRT. This stunning testimonial is a testament to the Blur Busters Approved initiative in greatly improving strobe backlight quality in gaming monitors.

The ViewSonic XG270 is fully user firmware upgradeable, with the upcoming firmware upgrade adding adjustable persistence feature (PureXP levels) for a much brighter picture with motion blur reduction.

More announcements are coming about additional details about the Blur Busters Approved programme.

Press Announcements / Mentions Note: ViewSonic XG270 is currenty available on Amazon for purchase.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nuninho1980

Post by nuninho1980 » 08 Jan 2020, 04:46

Will single strobe work 50 Hz with "PureXP"?.

EDIT: If you answer "yes", I will sell BenQ XL2411P because BenQ may not do new firmware for fix the strobe failure at 50 Hz (total vertical pixel is default (eg: 1098 vertical pixels - 1920x1080@50 Hz)).
CPU: [email protected]
RAM: 2x16GB DDR4@3600MHz
MB: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4
GPU: Zotac RTX 4090 non-OC new! <3 :D
Opt. disc: LG BD-RE writer BH16NS40
HDD: SATA 1TB
SSDs: OCZ RD400 0.5TB+Crucial MX500 2TB
PSU: AEROCOOL 1kW 80+ Gold
Disly: CRT 21" Sony E530 :D

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Jan 2020, 06:05

nuninho1980 wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 04:46
Will single strobe work 50 Hz with "PureXP"?.

EDIT: If you answer "yes", I will sell BenQ XL2411P because BenQ may not do new firmware for fix the strobe failure at 50 Hz (total vertical pixel is default (eg: 1098 vertical pixels - 1920x1080@50 Hz)).
Question has already been answered in this thread that the strobe range is 75Hz through 240Hz.

Please post in this thread to request single-strobe 50Hz and 60Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

heckenjoni

Post by heckenjoni » 10 Jan 2020, 14:43

i did make a post in the general section aswell, but it might be better to just ask here, today i got the xg270 and i am very happy, but i have 4 questions hope someone here can help me ! :)
1. if i change profiles ( "Game Modes" ) is it normal that my screen goes black for ~1s ? My other monitor can change profiles on the fly, just wanted to make sure i dont have a "bad"-unit.
2. are there any recommended settings for PureXP (i am talking about hz (100,120,144?, i have it on 120hz right now), colors, black stabilization ..)
3. what would be the best way to get a tear-free exp. ? (like rss, nvidia frame cap, ingame frame cap, v-sync ?)
4. last question, i cant control brightness at all in PureXP right ?

ELK

Post by ELK » 11 Jan 2020, 01:04

heckenjoni wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 14:43
i did make a post in the general section aswell, but it might be better to just ask here, today i got the xg270 and i am very happy, but i have 4 questions hope someone here can help me ! :)
1. if i change profiles ( "Game Modes" ) is it normal that my screen goes black for ~1s ? My other monitor can change profiles on the fly, just wanted to make sure i dont have a "bad"-unit.
2. are there any recommended settings for PureXP (i am talking about hz (100,120,144?, i have it on 120hz right now), colors, black stabilization ..)
3. what would be the best way to get a tear-free exp. ? (like rss, nvidia frame cap, ingame frame cap, v-sync ?)
4. last question, i cant control brightness at all in PureXP right ?
1. yeah mine goes off then on when toggling adaptive sync. I assume when you're changing through profiles some of them have it enabled some don't.
2. I highly prefer 100hz although it seems everyone else prefers 120hz. 100hz is around the limit where headaches can occur but it looks much better. There is a thread that explains this in detail if you're interested. After some time I adjusted and don't get eye strain anymore.
3. I use RTSS's scanline sync. It adds 1 frame of input lag but usually has better frame pacing than any other option.
4. No you can't. Brightness is controlled through PWM pulse width modulation. Back lights flash at ridiculous rates like 20khz. When pureXP is enabled the back light flashes at the refresh rate, but in controlled lengths of pulses. The firmware coming in 2020 will fix the brightness issues and offer (I think it was 3) different options. Darker produces a clearer picture because the backlight is off for longer, hiding pixel transitions.

ELK

Post by ELK » 11 Jan 2020, 01:44

2 really big things I've found are that even though PureXP disables hdr10, you can set it to 10bit in nvidia control panel and probably windows too. DO NOT do this. I was disappointed for awhile because the screen didn't look as good as I remembered. Forcing 10bit was negatively effecting the image.

There is a 120hz mode and a 119hz mode. The strobing looks way better in 119hz. I assume the 120hz mode is in the TV resolution part of the edid but the strobing is tuned for 119hz. It is not good as the 100hz I love but is much better than the 120... I will have to play with it

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Jan 2020, 01:51

ELK wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 01:44
There is a 120hz mode and a 119hz mode. The strobing looks way better in 119hz. I assume the 120hz mode is in the TV resolution part of the edid but the strobing is tuned for 119hz. It is not good as the 100hz I love but is much better than the 120... I will have to play with it
Interesting! I will test this when I get home from CES. Perhaps there's an opportunity to shift the strobe-tuning ranges slightly in a future firmware, so that 120Hz use the same tuning as 119Hz.

What's the fractional refresh rate of both when you test using www.testufo.com/refreshrate ?

ELK

Post by ELK » 11 Jan 2020, 14:15

I had to use vsynctester because testufo indefinitely said calculating HZ... (and READY*) the 119hz mode was 119.887hz the 120hz mode was 119.998. I checked the EDID and there is only one 120hz resolution. I have ran into this problem before and have complained to nvidia. Nvidia throws in a bunch of generic resolutions with generic timings it thinks your monitor can do. Why would I ever want to use timings that aren't in my EDID nvidia???

When looking at testufo's ghosting/pursuit test this is what I see when looking at the upper yellow part of the ufo.
120hz: the first trailing ghost is yellowish red in the yellow part
the second one is a dark blue
119hz: the first trailing ghost is yellow
the second is "clear" yellow. It's faint but you can still see it. The red part is almost identical to the background color. You have to look very hard, but the white squares are still visible

The annoying thing is I'm not sure which one is from the edid because it's actually a TV resolution in the edid meaning the only data I can see through CRU is 1920x1080@120hz.

Both
front porch 88h 4v
sync width 44h 5v
total pixel 2200h 1125v
polarity + +

119hz
refresh rate 133.88 KHz 119.000Hz
pixel clock 294.5250 MHz

120hz
refresh rate 135.00KHz 120.000Hz
Pixel clock: 297.0000 MHz

So it appears they are identical except one is 119.000hz the other is 120.000hz. I'm guessing now the EDID one is the 120.000hz one. Looking deeper into the EDID these values are copied from the detailed resolut 1920x1080@60hz. The extension block contains 3 additional detailed resolutions. [email protected](566.95MHz), [email protected](74.25MHz), and [email protected](325.10Mhz)

240hz
front porch 23h 57v
sync width 32h 8v
total 2030 1160
polarity + -
refresh rate 279.285 kHz 240.763 Hz
pixel clock 566.95 MHz

144hz
front porch 24h 3v
sync width 32h 5v
total 2056 1098
polarity + +
RR 158.122kHz 144.009Hz
pixel clock 325.10 MHz

I find it odd that there are only 4 detailed resolutions 1 of which is 720p which is odd too. It seems every mode except 144hz and 240hz would be stealing their timings from the 60hz mode.... But then again I know very little about this so who am I to think it odd. What do you think?