Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Feb 2020, 13:40

Pappadinho wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 10:57
Has the firmware been released? Every time I log into the viewsonic software 2.0 beta I haven't seen anything saying new firmware available even when I connect the USB c cable. I have seen the program fail to close properly but haven't seen any specific area to even check for firmware updates. I really enjoy the monitor but the lack of bright low blur leaves me wanting more!
Targetting March 2020 from what I posted at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5998&start=180#p46987
...But don't hold me to that date. A wise man in me about release dates would suggest that means end of March / beginning of April. Blame the COVID-19 coronavirus (in part).

The new PDF manual is already updated to describe the features of the new firmware, so at least you all know it is indeed coming. :D
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

qgshadow

Post by qgshadow » 26 Feb 2020, 14:14

Hi, New here, just purchased this monitor and would like to know if theres a guide on how to configure monitor + gpu for the best results?

I admit with purexp on it is a bit dim and hard to see.

currently i am vsync off + purexp + 240hz and no limitations in RTSS.

What is recommended for best motion clarity results?

Thanks!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Feb 2020, 17:16

qgshadow wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 14:14
Hi, New here, just purchased this monitor and would like to know if theres a guide on how to configure monitor + gpu for the best results?

Motion Priority PureXP+
PureXP + 120Hz + VSYNC ON*

Latency Priority PureXP+
PureXP + 240Hz + VSYNC OFF

Also Increase mouse DPI to at least 1600dpi minimum to improve PureXP, make sure mousepad is clean and ultrasmooth, make sure mouse feet is clean. The extra DPI makes strobing smoother and more jitter-free. If your mouse does bad job at 1600dpi buy a new mouse that does 1600dpi properly. If you have no mousepad, buy an esports mousepad. This will fix your strobe-amplified mouse microstuttering.

I prefer motion priority PureXP because it just looks like a Sony FW900 CRT to my eyes. During solo gaming of fast-motion gaming, I prefer the blissful nirvana motion over a smidge of extra input lag. Refresh rate headroom and fps=Hz makes strobing more enjoyable. Give it a temporary test.

There is better motion clarity for PureXP+ at 100Hz and 120Hz (though 144Hz still looks reasonably good). There's more jitteriness and strobe crosstalk at 240Hz. However, 240Hz PureXP+ is indeed lower latency if that's your priority. But you asked about motion.

The new firmware will provide brighter PureXP options so you can choose your brightness versus clarity tradeoff. However, bear in mind, the new upcoming firmware (delayed by COVID-19 Coronavirus, by CNY), many scaler vendors in China had to temporarily shut down due to COVID-19 Coronavirus so that delayed work for a lot of monitor manufacturers, including many in Taiwan who often needs to work with Mainland China vendors. I'm just as excited to see the new firmware come out already, we have to hang in there until this all clears up.

*Note: Lower latency versions of VSYNC ON can be used, such as RTSS Scanline Sync or Low-Lag VSYNC HOWTO.
**Note2: We have noticed a 120Hz Custom Resolution with Large Vertical Totals (double-up the VT at 120Hz) actually slightly reduces lag of VSYNC ON during 120Hz PureXP+ even if there's little to no difference in strobe crosstalk. This is the Quick Frame Transport effect
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

qgshadow

Post by qgshadow » 26 Feb 2020, 18:48

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 17:16
qgshadow wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 14:14

Motion Priority PureXP+
PureXP + 120Hz + VSYNC ON*

Latency Priority PureXP+
PureXP + 240Hz + VSYNC OFF

Also Increase mouse DPI to at least 1600dpi minimum to improve PureXP, make sure mousepad is clean and ultrasmooth, make sure mouse feet is clean. The extra DPI makes strobing smoother and more jitter-free. If your mouse does bad job at 1600dpi buy a new mouse that does 1600dpi properly. If you have no mousepad, buy an esports mousepad. This will fix your strobe-amplified mouse microstuttering.

I prefer motion priority PureXP because it just looks like a Sony FW900 CRT to my eyes. During solo gaming of fast-motion gaming, I prefer the blissful nirvana motion over a smidge of extra input lag. Refresh rate headroom and fps=Hz makes strobing more enjoyable. Give it a temporary test.

There is better motion clarity for PureXP+ at 100Hz and 120Hz (though 144Hz still looks reasonably good). There's more jitteriness and strobe crosstalk at 240Hz. However, 240Hz PureXP+ is indeed lower latency if that's your priority. But you asked about motion.

The new firmware will provide brighter PureXP options so you can choose your brightness versus clarity tradeoff. However, bear in mind, the new upcoming firmware (delayed by COVID-19 Coronavirus, by CNY), many scaler vendors in China had to temporarily shut down due to COVID-19 Coronavirus so that delayed work for a lot of monitor manufacturers, including many in Taiwan who often needs to work with Mainland China vendors. I'm just as excited to see the new firmware come out already, we have to hang in there until this all clears up.

*Note: Lower latency versions of VSYNC ON can be used, such as RTSS Scanline Sync or Low-Lag VSYNC HOWTO.
**Note2: We have noticed a 120Hz Custom Resolution with Large Vertical Totals (double-up the VT at 120Hz) actually slightly reduces lag of VSYNC ON during 120Hz PureXP+ even if there's little to no difference in strobe crosstalk. This is the Quick Frame Transport effect
Thanks for the lengthy explication. I will give motion priority a shot.

in the notes you talk about customs rtss settings or custom resolutions settings which i am a big noob and don't know what to put there at all.

Do you recommend rtss or nvidia vsync?

and if so is there a screenshot of sort to show what settings to put?

Thanks again!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Feb 2020, 23:37

qgshadow wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 18:48

in the notes you talk about customs rtss settings or custom resolutions settings which i am a big noob and don't know what to put there at all.

Start walking before you start running.

Go Easy First
Try 120Hz PureXP+ VSYNC ON first for motion nirvana tests. Run games that usually runs at fps=Hz while configuring your mouse to high DPI (and reduce game sensitivity to compensate). This is really the "motion nirvana" mode. Zero-stutter zero-tearing zero-jitteriness zero-blur motion with ultra low strobe crosstalk. Yes, VSYNC ON adds lag, but it will give you the motion-priority experience (CRT clarity nirvana). Once you've confirmed you successfully tested the motion beauty, you can then optimize the latency afterwards. If you can't do 120fps, try 100Hz PureXP+. You can keep decreasing PureXP refresh rate all the way down to 75Hz if necessary, though for flicker reason I'd stay 100Hz+. The important criteria is you need the triple match (framerate = refreshrate = stroberate) for motion nirvana.

Intermediate Low Lag variant of VSYNC ON
The most forgiving method is probably the HOWTO: Low-lag VSYNC ON. But test with plain old simple easy VSYNC ON first, to confirm the motion improvements first.

Advanced Low Lag variant of VSYNC ON
Once you have more experience, you can use RTSS Scanline Sync which emulates VSYNC ON via a tearingless VSYNC OFF that is beamraced (raster synchronized). It's a more complex and unforgiving method of low-lag VSYNC, but it can be the ultimate low-lag VSYNC ON equivalent for your games that almost always run permanently fps=Hz (little to no framerate valleys below Hz).

Hope this helps!

ELK

Post by ELK » 27 Feb 2020, 06:34

Type C crosshair which is a dot actually can never be centered because it's 2 pixels wide meaning it will offset either left or right 1 pixel. It is also 2 pixels tall meaning it will either offset up or down 1 pixel. I use it in games where sometimes there is a crosshair and sometimes not and they never line up.

qgshadow

Post by qgshadow » 27 Feb 2020, 09:51

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 23:37
qgshadow wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 18:48

Start walking before you start running.

Go Easy First
Try 120Hz PureXP+ VSYNC ON first for motion nirvana tests. Run games that usually runs at fps=Hz while configuring your mouse to high DPI (and reduce game sensitivity to compensate). This is really the "motion nirvana" mode. Zero-stutter zero-tearing zero-jitteriness zero-blur motion with ultra low strobe crosstalk. Yes, VSYNC ON adds lag, but it will give you the motion-priority experience (CRT clarity nirvana). Once you've confirmed you successfully tested the motion beauty, you can then optimize the latency afterwards. If you can't do 120fps, try 100Hz PureXP+. You can keep decreasing PureXP refresh rate all the way down to 75Hz if necessary, though for flicker reason I'd stay 100Hz+. The important criteria is you need the triple match (framerate = refreshrate = stroberate) for motion nirvana.

Intermediate Low Lag variant of VSYNC ON
The most forgiving method is probably the HOWTO: Low-lag VSYNC ON. But test with plain old simple easy VSYNC ON first, to confirm the motion improvements first.

Advanced Low Lag variant of VSYNC ON
Once you have more experience, you can use RTSS Scanline Sync which emulates VSYNC ON via a tearingless VSYNC OFF that is beamraced (raster synchronized). It's a more complex and unforgiving method of low-lag VSYNC, but it can be the ultimate low-lag VSYNC ON equivalent for your games that almost always run permanently fps=Hz (little to no framerate valleys below Hz).

Hope this helps!
Thanks , will try that PureXP + VSYNC Fast + Framelimit 119 (can't use decimals in RTSS).

I am wondering if it's just better to wait for an OLED monitor. seems like OLED just fixes all those issues inherently. I will for sure wait for the next firmware before i make my decision to keep the monitor. So far it's too dim for me in PureXP mode.

Also you said that lowest latency possible is 240hz + PureXP + VSYNC OFF. Do i also need to set a limiter in RTSS or i leave FPS uncapped.

I want to test both scenarios.

Thanks!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Feb 2020, 10:53

qgshadow wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 09:51
Thanks , will try that PureXP + VSYNC Fast + Framelimit 119 (can't use [decimals in RTSS).
For motion-priority, you want fps=Hz. So no framerate cap. Let VSYNC ON do the capping automatically. Yes, laggy, but didn't you say motion-priority over latency-priority? ;)

Now, if you want to cap to reduce latency -- while only adding rare stutters, you will need a very tiny fracitonal cap difference. RTSS does support it, but you have to edit the configuration file for easiest results. You can do decimals in RTSS if you follow the HOWTO: Low-Lag VSYNC ON and edit the configuration file. Follow the instructions at the link.

Note1: I heard there may now be a poorly-documented way to add fractions via GUI. I'll need to research Guru3D forums and update the HOWTO. For now, simply edit the RTSS configuration file.
Note2: This topic may be split into a separate thread soon, since lag-priority vs motion-priority advice applies to all strobing, not just XG270

qgshadow

Post by qgshadow » 27 Feb 2020, 14:13

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 10:53
qgshadow wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 09:51
Thanks , will try that PureXP + VSYNC Fast + Framelimit 119 (can't use [decimals in RTSS).
For motion-priority, you want fps=Hz. So no framerate cap. Let VSYNC ON do the capping automatically. Yes, laggy, but didn't you say motion-priority over latency-priority? ;)

Now, if you want to cap to reduce latency -- while only adding rare stutters, you will need a very tiny fracitonal cap difference. RTSS does support it, but you have to edit the configuration file for easiest results. You can do decimals in RTSS if you follow the HOWTO: Low-Lag VSYNC ON and edit the configuration file. Follow the instructions at the link.

Note1: I heard there may now be a poorly-documented way to add fractions via GUI. I'll need to research Guru3D forums and update the HOWTO. For now, simply edit the RTSS configuration file.
Note2: This topic may be split into a separate thread soon, since lag-priority vs motion-priority advice applies to all strobing, not just XG270
Thanks again for your help.

i'm playing a lot of fps games and when i use 120hz + vsync + pure xp i feel the input lag a lot.

Feels so slow in games like apex and csgo. I can't use vsync and motion priority as it seems. i feel the lag too much.

Do you think it's worth it to keep this monitor just for PureXP and 240hz with no vsync on or should i just get a TN panel?

Thanks!

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 27 Feb 2020, 17:23

ELK wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 06:34
Type C crosshair which is a dot actually can never be centered because it's 2 pixels wide meaning it will offset either left or right 1 pixel. It is also 2 pixels tall meaning it will either offset up or down 1 pixel. I use it in games where sometimes there is a crosshair and sometimes not and they never line up.
Dot type crosshairs, need to be allways pair number side lenght, is the only way to center it. With only one pixel is not possible to center it, due to all common resolutions has pair numbers in both width and height.

1920x1080 with dot 2x2 pixels

959+2+959=1920
539+2+539=1080

If the 2x2 dot crosshair in XG270 can be moved in the screen to any position you want with 1 pixel precision, all perfect. You can't move it with pixel precision ?