Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Mar 2020, 12:56

dl666 wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 10:27
HM, the new update seems to have broken the monitors controllers? Can´t change settings with the buttons on the monitor..
I’ll relay this to my ViewSonic contacts.
You may want to power cycle your monitor (unplug), and see if rebooting the monitor solves the problem.
Anthony3187 wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 11:50
Just wondering but my Firmware Update prompt never pops up on my monitor. The Viewsonic Elite Display Controller software did update to version 1.1.1.0 and in the new version the RGB never works with the monitor and no display options popup at all in the controller. The older version of the display controller was working fine with my monitor however, RGB and display options/pureXP all worked within the software.
Try manually downloading Version 2.0 of the Elite Display Controller software from ViewSonic’s website.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Coloz

Post by Coloz » 31 Mar 2020, 14:29

My monitor is back up and running after the fix the chief sent me. the new firmware is great. Personally, I can't tell much of a difference between extreme and ultra, so I'm leaving it in ultra. The added brightness is perfect!

Cattiy19

Post by Cattiy19 » 31 Mar 2020, 14:47

Problem solved, new problem. I cannot choose anything gaming related in the OSD or Elite Display Controller. No PureXP, no HDR, no overdrive?

Display OSD shows 240hz, Win10 only 140 hz?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Mar 2020, 14:52

Cattiy19 wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 14:47
Problem solved, new problem. I cannot choose anything gaming related in the OSD or Elite Display Controller. No PureXP, no HDR, no overdrive?

Display OSD shows 240hz, Win10 only 140 hz?
Turn off FreeSync to get access to these features.

Also, if there are still issues, use "Memory Recall" right after a firmware upgrade to reset settings back to factory defaults.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Mar 2020, 14:53

Coloz wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 14:29
My monitor is back up and running after the fix the chief sent me. the new firmware is great. Personally, I can't tell much of a difference between extreme and ultra, so I'm leaving it in ultra. The added brightness is perfect!
You are welcome!

P.S. Whenever I need PureXP+, I usually use “Extreme” (brighter), sometimes “Normal” if it is a bright/sunny day in the room. And “Ultra” at night when the room is a cave.

As a rule of thumb, brightness versus blur reduction tradeoff:

Ultra = pulse at 10% a refresh cycle (tenth motion blur)
Extreme = pulse at 20% a refresh cycle (fifth motion blur)
Normal = pulse at 30% a refresh cycle (about third motion blur)
Light = pulse at 40% a refresh cycle

h4lli

Post by h4lli » 01 Apr 2020, 09:29

with the new FW somehow Elite RGB keeps on re-enabling itself after each monitor standby.. anybody else experiencing this?

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 01 Apr 2020, 10:40

PureXP+ is the feature most valuable on this monitor, and Rtings not review it in deep, very dissapointed. I think the BFI screenshot not show the best moving image quality this monitor can do.

100 and 120Hz is the recommended frequency for use PureXP+ with low crostalk, and is omited by Rtings... of course no fullscreen photo to see the crostalk.

I understand that due to current COVID-19 health emergency, is not a priority review monitors, but launch could have been delayed and made more complete in future. Now people interested in PureXP+ deep review, can't solve its doubts.

Black/Backlight issues in dark rooms, like many other IPS, hope Viewsonic fix it in new units.

As said in this topic, client touch the bezel and the backlight bleeding is removed from this part of the screen. This is not serious in 500$ monitor, is a Viewsonic manufacturing flaw that can be fixed. If IPS Pro monitors can solve backlight bleeding, using high quality bezels, Viewsonix Elite also can use it, no problem if price is a bit higher, nobody want light fugues. More people with this issue ?

Good work tweaking overdrive at 240Hz, perfect curves, no overshot. But again, no GtG curves in BFI mode, also none word about changes in brightness, contrast or color using PureXP+ :( Hope new reviews come when emergency end, BlurBusters hard work in this monitor deserves a deep PureXP+ review.

Keis

Post by Keis » 01 Apr 2020, 14:40

AddictFPS wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 10:40
PureXP+ is the feature most valuable on this monitor, and Rtings not review it in deep, very dissapointed. I think the BFI screenshot not show the best moving image quality this monitor can do.

100 and 120Hz is the recommended frequency for use PureXP+ with low crostalk, and is omited by Rtings... of course no fullscreen photo to see the crostalk.

I understand that due to current COVID-19 health emergency, is not a priority review monitors, but launch could have been delayed and made more complete in future. Now people interested in PureXP+ deep review, can't solve its doubts.

Black/Backlight issues in dark rooms, like many other IPS, hope Viewsonic fix it in new units.

As said in this topic, client touch the bezel and the backlight bleeding is removed from this part of the screen. This is not serious in 500$ monitor, is a Viewsonic manufacturing flaw that can be fixed. If IPS Pro monitors can solve backlight bleeding, using high quality bezels, Viewsonix Elite also can use it, no problem if price is a bit higher, nobody want light fugues. More people with this issue ?

Good work tweaking overdrive at 240Hz, perfect curves, no overshot. But again, no GtG curves in BFI mode, also none word about changes in brightness, contrast or color using PureXP+ :( Hope new reviews come when emergency end, BlurBusters hard work in this monitor deserves a deep PureXP+ review.
Since no one want to give some hard cold number about the brightness, contrast and the color performance under PureXP+ mode.
I'll share some information with you that i measured on my own XG270 with i1 DisplayPro.

Brightness Under PureXP+ mode and the new firmware:
Light = 285cd/m²
Normal = 215cd/m²
Extreme = 142cd/m²
Ultra = 68cd/m²

Color performance under PureXP+ mode:
100% sRGB
74% ARGB
81.1% DCI P3

2020-04-02 03_10_58-Install profile.png
2020-04-02 03_10_58-Install profile.png (19.74 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

My monitor is calibrated to target white point 0.3127x 0.3129y Gamma 2.2 and PureXP+ Extreme mode.
It comes up with white point 6524K, luminance 142.2cd/m², black luminance 0.1608cd/m², Contrast 884.3:1, DeltaE is average 0.27, maximum 1.15

2020-04-02 03_25_02-Measurement Report 3.8.9.3 — ViewSonic XG270 @ 0, 0, 1920x1080 — 2020-03-31 16_2.png
2020-04-02 03_25_02-Measurement Report 3.8.9.3 — ViewSonic XG270 @ 0, 0, 1920x1080 — 2020-03-31 16_2.png (150.13 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Apr 2020, 15:35

Keis wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 14:40
Fantastic post and totally fair commentary!

P.S. I talked to RTINGS and they told me it's a rule to test max-Hz strobing -- which is understandable. Most users just turn on monitor, turn on blur reduction, max-Hz. So they have to target the common user, their website is massively popular and used by millions worldwide -- so more mainstream than we are. We're the more advanced behind-the-scenes niche, with a prosumer following. RTINGS website is more popular than Blur Busters and they have more staff than Blur Busters does!

....That's why NVIDIA limits Hz of strobing.
To keep max-Hz strobing as low crosstalk. It's an arbitrary strobe restriction. It's easy to do 240Hz ULMB -- just not at high quality. It's only an easy 1-line programming fix to make ULMB work at 60Hz through 240Hz in theory (nonwithstanding the need for further custom overdrive tweaking though, but 90% of that can be skipped with humongous VBIs, large VTs and low Hz....technical topic).

______

On a related topic about RTINGS....

Blur Busters is a test inventions supplier to many reviewers
Even though I supply Blur Busters testing inventions to RTINGS. Blur Busters operates differently. I provide test inventions (like TestUFO, pursuit camera, etc), and related consulting services. Other people (like reviewers and you) test, and Blur Busters also now do display certification service (NVIDIA does G-SYNC certification, AMD does FreeSync certification, and Blur Busters does strobe certification) which is different from display reviewing. I try not to compete against my clients (people who use Blur Busters inventions like TestUFO) in this passionate hobby-turned-business.

Yeah, COVID-19 is hurting a lot of us, industry-wide
I agree launch could have been better without COVID-19, and some approvals of additional models have been hurt too by COVID-19, plus also red phosphor interferes with strobing on other monitors (I had hoped to approve 3 monitors for strobe certification, but only 1 got approved). That also means I've turned away money because I won't sacrifice Blur Busters Approved and its rigorious criteria -- we strive on high reputation and I'm not greedy. Plus, and COVID-19 slows down outreach to additional manufacturers. But it is what it is. Onwards, we say!

Although work-from-home traffic increased (sometimes increasing ads/affiliate a bit) the loss of other income such as out-of-stock websites to loss of clients (supplemental income). Some reviewers had to stop affiliate links because their affiliate asked them to because their affiliate partner prioritized on essentials (other than gaming equipment). Multiple reviewers have had to lay off staff already or scale back projects. Although I have managed to keep all my contractors (for now), I have to pay them, article writers, PHP programmers, etc -- funding of our future projects also have to really be penny-pinched for now because I need to keep paying existing people.

Please support your favourite hardware testers and reviewers
(or us -- or all of us with separate purchases -- your pick)
Appreciate all the readers who support Blur Busters by choosing to click on our Amazon Affiliate links. A portion of revenue (2.5% of purchase -- $15 for a $300 purchase) is sent to Blur Busters as a commission when somebody purchases something on an Amazon link from Blur Busters. You can also instead, choose to support other reviewers by clicking on THEIR affiliate links (RTINGS, TFTCentral, PCMonitors, etc). It's up to you. Be noted, Blur Busters is smaller than some of my biggest reviewer clients -- like LinusTechTips, RTINGS, TomsHardware -- while some reviewers such as PCMonitors or Aperturegrille are smaller/more indie than Blur Busters. In this COVID-19 crisis, any support to everybody is welcome!

(Note: For our affiliate link: Viewsonic XG270 Purchase or General Amazon Shopping.)
Keis wrote:
Brightness Under PureXP+ mode and the new firmware:
Light = 285cd/m²
Normal = 215cd/m²
Extreme = 142cd/m²
Ultra = 68cd/m²
Those numbers roughly match what I'm getting.
-- I use Normal or Extreme during the daytime (when room has more ambient lighting)
-- I use Extreme or Ultra during night (when room is a cave)
Keis wrote:
Color performance under PureXP+ mode:
100% sRGB
74% ARGB
81.1% DCI P3
Quite a bit better than most TN strobing!
We're no longer in poor-colors LightBoost territory...

ELK

Post by ELK » 01 Apr 2020, 21:24

I upgraded my firmware using elite display controller but nothing seems to have happened. Now elite display controller has no options available only RGB. I am not sure if my elite display controller software updated before clicking upgrade firmware. I am downloading the elite display controller software directly from viewsonic as suggested.

edit: I did not have the usb cable plugged in. The options are greyed out in 1.0.0.12. There is no option to ugprade firmware. version 1.1.1.0 does not have any options other than rgb. I think the software is fooled into thinking my monitor is updated when it isnt... what do I do

edit: I uninstalled both version. Tried installing 1.1.1.0 for the same effect. Uninstalled then installed version 1.0.0.12. The button is back but it's upgrade display controller version not firmware version. I guess the software doesn't see my monitor?

edit: I have a usb 2.0 type b cable. The monitor has a usb 3.0 type b jack. They are shaped slightly different. The usb 2.0 fits into the 3.0 jack but I think this may be the reason why I'm unable to update my monitor. :cry: The odd thing is I was able to change my settings through the display controller software before 1.1.1.0 came out using the 2.0 cable (it's now greyed in 1.0.0.12 and says available only in next version)

It looks like (one other user lol) are having the same issue as me. No popup for firmware update. They're probably also using a 2.0 connector instead of 3.0.