Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
donnie

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by donnie » 08 May 2020, 11:57

TheMadMan697 wrote:
07 May 2020, 08:48
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
06 May 2020, 18:27
You can confirm 10bit signal via NVIDIA Control Panel -> Display -> Change Resolution -> Scroll to bottom > Output color depth

Try testing 220Hz and see if 10bit works. If that works, go back to 240Hz and use the same horizontal/vertical settings but at 224Hz -- it's more Pixel Clock based so if sync/porches are too big, there is not enough dotclock headroom for 10bit 224Hz.
Tried 220Hz but when I hit apply it still reverts back to 8 bit. The strange thing is I can apply 10 Bit at 240 Hz.

One other thing I noticed is there are 3 groups in the list of resolutions. 1. Custom, 2. Ultra HD, HD, SD and 3. PC. Under Ultra HD, HD, SD when I select 1080P, 1920x1080 (native) only lets me select up to 120 Hz and under PC group 1920x1080 I can select 240 Hz, 144 Hz and 100 Hz.
I decided to buy this monitor, and I must say it's a very nice on. I am really impressed. But I got the same thing as you, 10bit is only working in 240hz, if I setup custom 224hz resolution I can only use 8bit.

Also would somebody please explain me in steps what do I need to do to have that 120hz crt feeling on desktop or so?

What color temperature settings are you guys using? I notice if I use Full Color control, inside COD:MW I get terrible weird picture, like very weird. But if I use sRGB or any other option it's fine. Is there something wrong with Full Colo control?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 May 2020, 14:11

donnie wrote:
08 May 2020, 11:57
Also would somebody please explain me in steps what do I need to do to have that 120hz crt feeling on desktop or so?
1. Switch refresh rate to 120Hz instead of 240Hz.

2. Turn on PureXP+ to your favourite setting.
Ultra = 1/10th motion blur. (90% less motion blur!)
Extreme = 2/10th motion blur
Normal = 3/10th motion blur
Light = 4/10th motion blur

The low-crosstalk 120Hz PureXP+ has far less motion blur than 240Hz non-PureXP, and without the excess strobe crosstalk of 240Hz PureXP.

We redirected refresh rate headroom to massively improving lower-Hz strobing, with less strobe crosstalk than most panels (TN or IPS).

You can still strobe at higher Hz, just with progressively worse strobe crosstalk, the closer to max Hz you strobe at. The strobe Hz is unlocked unlike on ULMB monitors, so you can choose how much strobe crosstalk you can tolerate. Higher Hz strobing is lower lag but more crosstalky. Some people here like 180Hz strobing and 224Hz strobing (better looking than 240Hz strobing).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

donnie

Post by donnie » 08 May 2020, 16:13

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
08 May 2020, 14:11
donnie wrote:
08 May 2020, 11:57
1. Switch refresh rate to 120Hz instead of 240Hz.

2. Turn on PureXP+ to your favourite setting.
Ultra = 1/10th motion blur. (90% less motion blur!)
Extreme = 2/10th motion blur
Normal = 3/10th motion blur
Light = 4/10th motion blur

The low-crosstalk 120Hz PureXP+ has far less motion blur than 240Hz non-PureXP, and without the excess strobe crosstalk of 240Hz PureXP.

We redirected refresh rate headroom to massively improving lower-Hz strobing, with less strobe crosstalk than most panels (TN or IPS).

You can still strobe at higher Hz, just with progressively worse strobe crosstalk, the closer to max Hz you strobe at. The strobe Hz is unlocked unlike on ULMB monitors, so you can choose how much strobe crosstalk you can tolerate. Higher Hz strobing is lower lag but more crosstalky. Some people here like 180Hz strobing and 224Hz strobing (better looking than 240Hz strobing).
Thanks for answering couple questions:

1. Do I need to do the custom resolution for 120 hz? I have no 120hz option under PC resolutions, however the 120hz 1920x1080 appears under Ultra HD section, should I use that one?

2. EDIT: Ok I noticed that I shouldn't be using Full color control with OD mode fastest, as that causes some coronas and weird graphics (ghosting possibly), but most of the other color settings work fine with OD mode fastest.

3. 224hz, 220hz or any custom resolution in NVCP will make 10bit jump back to 8bit, seems it's a bug. However the non custom ones have 10 bit working.. even 240hz.

4. Whats the setting you guys prefer for Desktop\Website viewing and movies in terms of colors\hz etc.? For me 120hz + PureXP, still feels bit akward, laggy - I am not sure why I am not noticing glass smoothness you'r mentioning, maybe I am just not used to it yet.

donnie

Post by donnie » 11 May 2020, 08:29

Ok for those of you who got bit lost like me here is some info I noticed:

1. If you want 224hz and 10 bit working, don't create custom resolution in NVCP, all custom resolutions in NVCP have a bug it seems and don't allow 10 bit. Instead add a detailed resolution with 224hz in custom block of CRU, this will add the 224hz option under your PC resolutions in NVCP and allow you to use 10 bit with it.

2. Those of you who have blackouts occasionally with G-Sync, edit the VRR in CRU to 55 and it will fix it.

3. PureXP+ for desktop\moba's is sick 120fps + 120hz + PureXP normal.

4. For FPS -> G-Sync on + V-Sync on -4fps lock and NULL on. = really smooth or 224hz + 220 fps + Gsync ON / V-Sync off + NULL on

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 May 2020, 11:38

donnie wrote:
11 May 2020, 08:29
Ok for those of you who got bit lost like me here is some info I noticed:

1. If you want 224hz and 10 bit working, don't create custom resolution in NVCP, all custom resolutions in NVCP have a bug it seems and don't allow 10 bit. Instead add a detailed resolution with 224hz in custom block of CRU, this will add the 224hz option under your PC resolutions in NVCP and allow you to use 10 bit with it.

2. Those of you who have blackouts occasionally with G-Sync, edit the VRR in CRU to 55 and it will fix it.

3. PureXP+ for desktop\moba's is sick 120fps + 120hz + PureXP normal.

4. For FPS -> G-Sync on + V-Sync on -4fps lock and NULL on. = really smooth or 224hz + 220 fps + Gsync ON / V-Sync off + NULL on
Excellent, these are good settings.

Interesting observation about NVCP refusing to do 10bit on the video cable.

Yes, PureXP+ is excellent for MOBAs / RTS games since you can see everything clearly while panning, just like www.testufo.com/framerates-versus -- great use of PureXP+ because panning creates TestUFO-smooth motions that is enhanced by motion blur reduction. Which MOBAs do you play, and how do you cap to 120fps? (VSYNC ON + NULL, or VSYNC OFF + framerate cap).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

donnie

Post by donnie » 12 May 2020, 03:15

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
11 May 2020, 11:38

Yes, PureXP+ is excellent for MOBAs / RTS games since you can see everything clearly while panning, just like www.testufo.com/framerates-versus -- great use of PureXP+ because panning creates TestUFO-smooth motions that is enhanced by motion blur reduction. Which MOBAs do you play, and how do you cap to 120fps? (VSYNC ON + NULL, or VSYNC OFF + framerate cap).
Currently I've been playing League of Legends. One of the problems with this game is, it doesn't allow lower refresh rate in fullscreen as it always chooses 240hz. So I have to use borderless mode, but the borderless mode feels bit jerky.

What I've tried:

1. NVCP Vsync on + NULL on -> 120hz, PureXP normal\extreme (based on darkness in the room). If LoL is in borderless, this is pretty smooth but occasionally it introduces some microstutters, maybe Vsync is not working properly in the game? Because testufo is very smooth.

2. NVCP Vsync off, game cap fps to 120fps, still the same as above in some fast panning left and right I notice microstutter or two.

3. Turning Vsync in game option ON, no microstutters. Which makes me think the game is messed up.

I will try the Scanline Sync next to see if that maybe helps.

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 12 May 2020, 05:17

donnie wrote:
12 May 2020, 03:15
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
11 May 2020, 11:38

Currently I've been playing League of Legends. One of the problems with this game is, it doesn't allow lower refresh rate in fullscreen as it always chooses 240hz. So I have to use borderless mode, but the borderless mode feels bit jerky.

What I've tried:

1. NVCP Vsync on + NULL on -> 120hz, PureXP normal\extreme (based on darkness in the room). If LoL is in borderless, this is pretty smooth but occasionally it introduces some microstutters, maybe Vsync is not working properly in the game? Because testufo is very smooth.

2. NVCP Vsync off, game cap fps to 120fps, still the same as above in some fast panning left and right I notice microstutter or two.

3. Turning Vsync in game option ON, no microstutters. Which makes me think the game is messed up.

I will try the Scanline Sync next to see if that maybe helps.
Yep, the game is definitely messed up at 240hz, that's why Riot itselft recommends to play this game at a maximum refresh rate of 144.
240hz causes huge microstutters, the issue is the game engine.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

donnie

Post by donnie » 12 May 2020, 06:46

axaro1 wrote:
12 May 2020, 05:17
Yep, the game is definitely messed up at 240hz, that's why Riot itselft recommends to play this game at a maximum refresh rate of 144.
240hz causes huge microstutters, the issue is the game engine.
The problem however is, that league in Fullscreen mode forces the maximum refresh rate available in EID. So it forces 240hz no matter what, unless you delete this resolutions in CRU..

In borderless mode it uses the refresh rate and resolution set in NVCP, but V-Sync is not working correctly and everything is jerky, only the one ingame works, but causes huge input lag. So I am not sure how to solve this and fix it. PureXP+ 120hz\120fps limit in game with V-Sync in NVCP and NULL on still has microstutters. When you enable ingame V-Sync its smooth, but sacrifice is input lag.

niros

Post by niros » 12 May 2020, 12:02

Hey dear friends
I'm sorry for asking this alot.. but hopefully this will be the last time
My current monitor 144hz gsync BenQ XL2420G

I want to buy the ViewSonic monitor today from this link > https://www.newegg.com/global/il-en/bla ... klink=true

*is this the correct version to get??

And please can some tell me if this is will be good for Fast FPS games like Apex legends (compared to the BENQ XL2546 witH dYAC)?

if this is the right monitor for me i instantly buy it now
thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 May 2020, 14:38

niros wrote:
12 May 2020, 12:02
I want to buy the ViewSonic monitor today from this link > https://www.newegg.com/global/il-en/bla ... klink=true
Yes, that is the correct monitor. They have not yet edited it to mention the Blur Busters Approved.

However, if you wish to support Blur Busters via a Blur Busters link that sends a commission to Blur Busters,
I suggest this one instead, it is in stock today as of May 12th:
ViewSonic XG270 on Amazon

It's up to you, both links are the correct model.