Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
donnie

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by donnie » 24 May 2020, 12:16

You don't want to use PureXP at 240hz, ideal is 120hz and you want to use PureXP for MOBA games like LoL\Dota2.

The reason why you see weird graphics on OD fastest if probably using full color control like I mentioned in my post, there seems to be a huge bug in the firmware, and viewsonic should imho address this. Swap to Native color temp and should be fine.

niros

Post by niros » 24 May 2020, 12:21

donnie wrote:
24 May 2020, 12:16
You don't want to use PureXP at 240hz, ideal is 120hz and you want to use PureXP for MOBA games like LoL\Dota2.

The reason why you see weird graphics on OD fastest if probably using full color control like I mentioned in my post, there seems to be a huge bug in the firmware, and viewsonic should imho address this. Swap to Native color temp and should be fine.
Alright donnie so i will try 240hz + vsync off + gsync off + od fastest + native colors and ill update if it worked

thanks!

Edit: my thoughts on the monitor after 2 days of use!

First having 1080p at 27' is perfectly fine for me and i really like it compared to 24-25' (maybe 1440p is better for other tasks) anyway i find reading text easy+ playing games look great and enjoyable! - only con i saw was when i once loaded a pdf file and the text file was abit larger so i needed to get used to this new way

Second! The colors of the monitor - i finally understand how bad my TN was - not only by playing Apex legends and see the difference but also when i went back to old wallpapers i used to have and now i finally see how big the colors impact!

Third- pureXp and other features- sadly i cant say much about Yet! Because my gpu is old and its hard to test properly some settings when you cant match fps/hz! I did tried the 120 pure xp and it was so detailed i was amazed! But i find it less viable for games like Apex! But i do want to test this method for RPG games like Witcher3! (Any1 tried RPG's?) because you guyss say 120hz is better for moba/rtss which i dont really play !
Anyway i tried purexp 224hz but sadly my gpu is again a problem so i cant test it prop
So i just disabled freesync/purexp and i choosed 24-hz + fastest od and apex felt amazing even when i mostly didn't match the fps ! I can see better i can aim better and i cant explain in words how good this monitor vs my older 144hz tn! The panel is great and i love that i have all the features i might want to use in the future like gsync/frersync/pureXP and so on

Some other thoughts?
PureXP- i can only use it with the light setting because otherwise its too dark for me

What is OD i can disable/enable it?
What's the hertz limiter for? Is it like ingame fps capper?

Are there some settings worth messing with in the menu? For example lowering the delay when switching between my tv/pc input? Or when you turn the monitor on? Like removing the logo or something like that?

I disabled the back LED because i prefer less rgbs when i sleep but i like that it was not too bright

What else can i say? Package came with everything i need!
The monitor looks impressive and a joy to look at!( i dont think it has a "gaming" vibe like other brands i saw)
Mine came with the latest frimware !
I disabled all quick acess because i found it annoying but anyway navigate the menu is simple and easy! We might dont have s switch but i dont really think we need one with quick access/buttons

And thats it! I'm pretty hAppy and my next goal next month is to get a new pc to fully enjoy this monitor!

I do think the monitor got not enough reviewes and it was and still hard to find info about it unless you come here and i think viewsonic needs to improve that!

zaguama

Post by zaguama » 25 May 2020, 18:31

I don't know if i have an eyesight problem or not but i really can't tell the practical difference between all these modes. I've been playing for a week now with this monitor COD Warzone and CS GO and with PureXP on or off all i see is the difference in brightness bertween modes.

I've stuck with 224hz, OD Fastest, Adaptive Sync ON, Vsync OFF, framerate unlimited and i cannot see any tear lines or blur. I tried limiting the framerate and can't tell the difference, both ways looks good. I even tried 240hz to compare to 224hz and looks the same to me lol.

PureXP seems like a nice feature and i could probably tell the benefits if i used it for a while but the display becomes just too dim, i do have the latest firmware.

I thought COD could cause problems because i'm running it at 224hz and the fps bounce between the 120-140 range but visually looks good.

Just wanted to share my thoughts and all of these modes i guess are for people with extreme needs!

P.S. i did have to change the color temperature to native, i can replicate the same issue the other users were having, when moving the pointer it looks fuzzy and everytime you pan around everything looks fuzzy if you have it set to full control.

donnie

Post by donnie » 26 May 2020, 02:02

Yes hopefully viewsonic will fix the full color control option on OD Fastest as its just fuzzy and bugged out for everyone.

Otherwise it depends how your used to viewing screens, if you focused on crosshair only then you might not notice the difference. The PureXP and Adaptive sync will drastically improve tearing\motion blur. Its most seen as when your fast scrolling. In COD MW i find its most visible when you are fast moving and sliding or when your tracking enemy that's sliding.

Just use: https://www.testufo.com/crosstalk this link and you will clearly see whats the difference, and switch the modes while you at it, you will see how much more blurry it is without PureXP and on different hertz.

zaguama

Post by zaguama » 26 May 2020, 11:17

donnie wrote:
11 May 2020, 08:29
Ok for those of you who got bit lost like me here is some info I noticed:

1. If you want 224hz and 10 bit working, don't create custom resolution in NVCP, all custom resolutions in NVCP have a bug it seems and don't allow 10 bit. Instead add a detailed resolution with 224hz in custom block of CRU, this will add the 224hz option under your PC resolutions in NVCP and allow you to use 10 bit with it.

2. Those of you who have blackouts occasionally with G-Sync, edit the VRR in CRU to 55 and it will fix it.

3. PureXP+ for desktop\moba's is sick 120fps + 120hz + PureXP normal.

4. For FPS -> G-Sync on + V-Sync on -4fps lock and NULL on. = really smooth or 224hz + 220 fps + Gsync ON / V-Sync off + NULL on
Hi Donnie,

Thanks for the tip on the VRR to 55, fixed my issue. Can you share some screenshots on how to create the custom resolutions on CRU to achieve 10bit? I have created them following this tutorial viewtopic.php?t=6478 and they work fine but the option to change to 10bit is grayed out and i did notice that if i run the CRU reset-all util and use the default refresh rates from NVCP it lets me use 10bit at 240 and 144hz without problems. I did notice a difference between the pixel clock and porch block from the Nvidia default resolutions and the ones from the tutorial, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks!

Kosti

Post by Kosti » 26 May 2020, 11:18

Hey guys,

I'm using this monitor now for a couple of weeks and i like PureXP and the normal mode equally. Both have their strenghts and weaknesses.
What bugs me is the added input lag with PureXP ON + Vsync ON @ 120 Hz and FPS limited to 120 with RTSS. I tried to turn Vsync OFF and limit the fps again to 120 to get rid of the input lag but still have a tear free picture. Sadly i get much screen tearing even with my GPU being able to easily pump 120 fps in CoD.

Do you guys have any tips with how to get a lag free or lag reduced experience with PureXP ON?

Dmoney405

Post by Dmoney405 » 26 May 2020, 12:44

Kosti wrote:
26 May 2020, 11:18
Hey guys,

I'm using this monitor now for a couple of weeks and i like PureXP and the normal mode equally. Both have their strenghts and weaknesses.
What bugs me is the added input lag with PureXP ON + Vsync ON @ 120 Hz and FPS limited to 120 with RTSS. I tried to turn Vsync OFF and limit the fps again to 120 to get rid of the input lag but still have a tear free picture. Sadly i get much screen tearing even with my GPU being able to easily pump 120 fps in CoD.

Do you guys have any tips with how to get a lag free or lag reduced experience with PureXP ON?
PureXP shouldn't really have much noticeable input lag. A couple MS at most. What is causing the input lag is not using a fast vsync method and lowering the refresh rate to 120 from 240. At 120hz your frametime is a bit over 8ms and at 240 it is 4ms. So you lose a minimum of 4 ms of latency by going to 120. Also rivia tuner is said to have 0-1 FRAME of input lag. A frame is not a static measurment when it comes to total delay. A frame at 120hz is another 8ms of lag and 16.67ms at 60hz. This is why you should always use the ingame FPS limiter if possible. RTSS should only be used for games that do not have their own.

So total lag quick recap;

4ms - Going from 240 to 120
0-8ms - RTSS
1-2ms - PureXP
24ms - If you use slow vsync. Look up fast sync options on this website

So as you can see it's not PureXP, it's a combination of multiple lag sources added together by going to a lower refresh rate. Use faster vsync or none at all, find a suitable framerate balance of input lag and crosstalk, mess with different overdrive settings.

Total added input lag at 120hz vs 240hz without vsync should only be a maximum of 6ms (4ms from reresh and 2ms from pureXP) or so if you use an ingame fps limiter. 6ms is less than a single frame at 120hz.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2020, 13:55

Kosti wrote:
26 May 2020, 11:18
PureXP ON + Vsync ON @ 120 Hz and FPS limited to 120 with RTSS
There's a way to use Quick Frame Transport to reduce this lag by 12 milliseconds.

This is a 120Hz Large Vertical Total + RTSS Scanline Sync + End of VBI framebuffer flipping.

Advanced Tweak:
How to do Quick Frame Transport (QFT)
to Reduce 120Hz VSYNC ON PureXP Lag With ViewSonic XG270 by 12ms Less Lag

I wish Microsoft and NVIDIA built these capabilities into the operating system or graphics drivers, but for now, a CRU-hack + RTSS-hack is required to do DIY QFT.

Unfortunately, this is a very advanced tweak, that requires getting familiar with RTSS Scanline Sync first.

However, the fact that this tweak exists, is exciting. Hopefully I will be able to work with vendors to build this into displays as a more automatic feature, and/or create a frame-Present()-modifying driver to block until end of VBI instead of start of VBI. Then QFT can later become a much easier user feature.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Kosti

Post by Kosti » 26 May 2020, 18:11

Thanks again Chief for your answer. I was hoping there would be an easier way to solve my problem. I read through the guide you linked but i'm afraid this is too advanced for me. I probably could get it to work but i just don't want to invest so much time into it. Thank you again though!
Last edited by Kosti on 26 May 2020, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2020, 18:55

Hopefully easier solutions will arrive in the future.

I'm going to contact NVIDIA if they could add a hidden flag to block Present() until end of VBI. That would make Quick Frame Transport much easier for significantly reducing VSYNC ON input latency.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!