Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Kosti

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Kosti » 16 Jun 2020, 17:54

@zaguama: The framedrops when scoping in warzone is a known issue. A lot of people (Dr.Disrespect as well) describe this problem. But it's not related to G-Sync as far as i know.

zaguama

Post by zaguama » 17 Jun 2020, 19:14

Kosti wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 17:54
@zaguama: The framedrops when scoping in warzone is a known issue. A lot of people (Dr.Disrespect as well) describe this problem. But it's not related to G-Sync as far as i know.
not sure what to tell you, fixed it for me and i'm enjoying it, of course with adaptive sync "ON" looks smoother but it's just unplayable and i love to quick scope. From what i've read on some forums a lot of people have this problerm on 1080ti but dr disrespect has 2080ti so not sure whats going on. I did find another user on reddit that tested turning gsync OFF and it worked for him as well, some other people are running "fullscreen borderless" mode and as far as i know gsync doesn't work on that mode.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 17 Jun 2020, 20:48

GSync work in windowed mode, there are one checkbox for this feature inside Nvidia driver GSync section.

When game run in windowed mode, is forced to fit inside the Windows Desktop Composition. The game window, no matter if is maximized borderless, is treated like another window in the operating system.

FullScreen mode is a "isolated" environment, bypass Desktop Composition, and receive the best priority, lower latency, and maximized resources assignement from OS. Be sure allways run in this mode.

In some games, long scope like sniper weapon or binoculars is not optimized, and cause a short heavy drop in FPS until the data of far map part is loaded from RAM to VRAM. Micro-stuttering. Is caused by how game engine manage dinamic LOD (Level of Detail), where only a limited zone around the player "Graphics settings / Viewing distance" is loaded in VRAM, because not all map can allways fit inside VRAM.

Depend also CPU performance, not only GPU, and the RAM available ! For instance 8GB RAM maybe force load from SSD or HDD part of map than not fit in RAM. And 32GB never touch SSD/HDD during gameplay.

zaguama

Post by zaguama » 18 Jun 2020, 12:40

AddictFPS wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 20:48
GSync work in windowed mode, there are one checkbox for this feature inside Nvidia driver GSync section.

When game run in windowed mode, is forced to fit inside the Windows Desktop Composition. The game window, no matter if is maximized borderless, is treated like another window in the operating system.

FullScreen mode is a "isolated" environment, bypass Desktop Composition, and receive the best priority, lower latency, and maximized resources assignement from OS. Be sure allways run in this mode.

In some games, long scope like sniper weapon or binoculars is not optimized, and cause a short heavy drop in FPS until the data of far map part is loaded from RAM to VRAM. Micro-stuttering. Is caused by how game engine manage dinamic LOD (Level of Detail), where only a limited zone around the player "Graphics settings / Viewing distance" is loaded in VRAM, because not all map can allways fit inside VRAM.

Depend also CPU performance, not only GPU, and the RAM available ! For instance 8GB RAM maybe force load from SSD or HDD part of map than not fit in RAM. And 32GB never touch SSD/HDD during gameplay.
I hear you but Gsync comes enabled by default for fullscreen only, you need to change it to fullscreen and windowed mode, most gamers don't even mess with those settings. I don't think the micro stuttering is resources related on this particular case, this guy with the 2080ti that has the same issue has an overkill computer, i personally have a 9900k 1080ti 32gb ram and run my games from a 1tb nvme drive.

qgshadow

Post by qgshadow » 18 Jun 2020, 13:55

donnie wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 14:14
qgshadow wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 13:34
So what's the prefered way to create the custom 224hz resolution now?

CRU or Nvidia Control Panel and which settings to use?
Cru under CEA block because in NVCP created res you wont be able to set the 10bit color setting. I find nvcp has a bug where any custom resolution is jumping back to 8bit.

The gsync blackouts are fixed by raising the vrr limit to 55.
When i create it with CRU i still get 8bit over hdmi. Maybe i don't know how to use CRU correctly.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jun 2020, 15:24

Kryptik wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 20:20
Like many others I've been looking for a CRT like monitor for a long time. I started to hear about this monitor recently and how people compare it to CRTs. To me that's important because I do digital art and play fps games like quake so having a monitor with accurate colors, motion clarity and very low input lag is what I'm looking for.

These 240HZ IPS monitors seems to be be what I'm looking for but I have some questions about this monitor. I'm sorry if you have already answered some of them before but it's hard for to go through 50 pages to find what i'm looking for.

First of all why has this monitor specifically been compared to CRT monitors like the FW900. What advantages does it have over other 240HZ IPS monitors when it comes to motion clarity.

I've posted in the other thread about the 240hz IPS monitors tier list where RLCScontender has concluded that the MSI MAG251RX and Asus VG259QM were the best 240HZ IPS monitors available. I'm curious to know how the Viewsonic XG270 compares to them and what advantages does it have over them if any. I'm still interested in it and would like to know more about it.

Also i keep reading that to get that CRT like motion clarity this monitor should be used at 100-120HZ. Why is that and what about using it at higher refresh rates like 240HZ? For example what would be the best way to use it for a game like quake live to get that CRT like feeling?
Refresh rate headroom reduces strobe crosstalk

The more refresh rate headroom, the less artifacts from strobing, and the more it matches a CRT of the same Hz.

Unlike some brands that lock strobing to only 100Hz or 120Hz (example: older LightBoost or ULMB), ViewSonic XG270 is super flexible, letting you strobe at 75Hz-240Hz at any custom Hz. You can choose lower latency higher-Hz strobing with more crosstalk, or higher quality lower-Hz strobing with less crosstalk. The trade-off is the user's own choice, on how they want to push the panel's limits.

This is true for all LCDs.

This is because it's easier to hide LCD GtG between refresh cycles, if you have "headroom below max Hz", hiding GtG limitations from human eyes, in cleaner strobing. See high speed videos of LCD refreshing -- not all pixels refresh at the same time. It is always beneficial to refresh in total darkness, with some guard time between refresh cycles, before the backlight strobes again.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

donnie

Post by donnie » 18 Jun 2020, 16:35

qgshadow wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 13:55
donnie wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 14:14
qgshadow wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 13:34
So what's the prefered way to create the custom 224hz resolution now?

CRU or Nvidia Control Panel and which settings to use?
Cru under CEA block because in NVCP created res you wont be able to set the 10bit color setting. I find nvcp has a bug where any custom resolution is jumping back to 8bit.

The gsync blackouts are fixed by raising the vrr limit to 55.
When i create it with CRU i still get 8bit over hdmi. Maybe i don't know how to use CRU correctly.
Maybe its HDMI, I use DP. Are you creating the resolution under CEA block? Because anything under custom resolution in NVCP bugs out the 10bit and downgrades to 8bit..NVIDIA should fix that issue tbh

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 19 Jun 2020, 01:34

Kryptik wrote:
Like many others I've been looking for a CRT like monitor for a long time. I started to hear about this monitor recently and how people compare it to CRTs. To me that's important because I do digital art and play fps games like quake so having a monitor with accurate colors, motion clarity and very low input lag is what I'm looking for.
I think Viewsonic XG270 is currently one of the best well balanced LCD monitors to replace CRT for gaming and at the same time for general use. But be aware of one know weak point, backlight bleeding reported by some users. If you work with dark art content, especialy in a low lit room, it can bother more or less depending how you tolerate this. Moderate brightness help. Not have dinamic overdrive in non-strobed VRR, and not support VRR on HDMI.

But there are no perfect monitor, no matter the brand, allways we need to assume some weak point. TN panels is viewing angles, and VA very slow response time.

Others 27" IPS 240Hz like ACER XV273X limit strobing range. Fit inside monitor the power supply, avoidind easy user replacement in case of failure, and not add extra weight if you use monitor Arm. Also not allow user self-upgrade firmware. So any bug-fix, you need to send monitor to manufacturer, not fun.

This is a special feature of XG270, can receive fixes and new features, and people can install fast and easy like a motherboard BIOS upgrade ;)

donnie

Post by donnie » 19 Jun 2020, 14:45

AddictFPS wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 01:34
Kryptik wrote:
I think Viewsonic XG270 is currently one of the best well balanced LCD monitors to replace CRT for gaming and at the same time for general use. But be aware of one know weak point, backlight bleeding reported by some users. If you work with dark art content, especialy in a low lit room, it can bother more or less depending how you tolerate this. Moderate brightness help. Not have dinamic overdrive in non-strobed VRR, and not support VRR on HDMI.

But there are no perfect monitor, no matter the brand, allways we need to assume some weak point. TN panels is viewing angles, and VA very slow response time.

Others 27" IPS 240Hz like ACER XV273X limit strobing range. Fit inside monitor the power supply, avoidind easy user replacement in case of failure, and not add extra weight if you use monitor Arm. Also not allow user self-upgrade firmware. So any bug-fix, you need to send monitor to manufacturer, not fun.

This is a special feature of XG270, can receive fixes and new features, and people can install fast and easy like a motherboard BIOS upgrade ;)
One way you can tackle the back light bleed is massaging the bastard with microfiber cloth, also loosening the front plastic panel thats too tight on some places.

ELK

Post by ELK » 19 Jun 2020, 18:07

I'm having an issue with my xg270. I have not checked if there is a newer firmware so the issue may be my laziness. There are horizontal lines across the screen in PureXP mode only. I have restarted my computer and the issue only occurs in pureXP mode. I will attempt to take some photos with my cell phone

The file is too large to upload the photos. They are resized to 50% 50% and saved as jpeg but they're still too large. Anyways it looks like every other row of pixels is brighter. Similar to a crt look. The effect is not faint as everything looks heavily striped, for example folders in windows file explorer in "details" mode

edit: similar to the screen door effect but they're not black/invisible lines but rather just brighter every other row.