Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
witega

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by witega » 06 Dec 2019, 16:33

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 15:48
witega wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 23:45
Yeah 120hz strobed is incredible with this monitor. I am not seeing any crosstalk, just remarkable. With the color accuracy of an IPS, it's time to retire the Sony FW900 (well I already did, but if I still had it).
That's quite the testimonial!

Right now, used FW900 CRTs are priced at several thousand dollars, partially thanks to DigitalFoundry and Vice. And shipping costing several hundred...

I love CRTs as much as the next person, but Blur Busters is striving to keep improving LCDs to try to match ever closer and closer to CRTs. The XG270 is much cheaper, easier to carry and ship, and has other benefits like tack-sharp 1080p. Sure, you have to throttle back the Hertz a bit to make the crosstalk disappear, but even the FW900 barely does 120Hz at 1080p.
Chief, you have no idea how long I have waited for LCD PC monitors to approach the image quality of the legendary FW900 CRT.

Ever since the introduction of LCD monitors and soon becoming the de-facto standard worldwide, they never could get close to the motion clarity, input lag-free and color reproduction of a higher end Sony Trinitron or Aristan CRT. I went back to purchasing a few CRTs a couple years ago after my frustrations with TN panels that had washed out colors with motion blur reduction enabled. And even those 144hz MBR panels still couldn't match the glass of a CRT.

So for me the FW900 CRT is the benchmark to compare all other gaming monitors, although I do admit it is an unfair comparison due to the difference in technology.

But I can comfortably say with this ViewSonic monitor, I do not miss the FW900 and if I still owned it, would not lament if it ever died. Now if we truly want to split hairs, sure the CRT is still going to win out in input lag and perhaps edges out in no blur without crosstalk (while having a brighter picture). But again I'm splitting hairs here, as I think the ViewSonic panel has considerably closed the gap. You still deal with the IPS glow and you don't get inky blacks like a CRT but still these are small niggles.

I agree with Digital Foundry that the adoption to LCD technology was done way too fast and a mistake for gaming. But it's no surprise CRTs got ditched for the cost savings you'd get manufacturing LCD panels.

The FW900 is dead, long live the FW900!

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 07 Dec 2019, 05:48

Not being able to find a FW900 for myself, i think, based on your opinions and some others i've found, this can be a good choice (OLED seems to never come xD), but i want to know opinions of how it looks at low FPS (<60) with and without strobing. That (and its availability on Europe xD ) will help me decide, but by now nothing else seems to be worthy.
And if it is pretuned for an expert on blur it can't be anything better! ;) (hope this start to be a common part of your job as it is very needed on monitors :) ) .

LagBuster

Post by LagBuster » 07 Dec 2019, 07:02

I suggested this monitor for review at RTINGS.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/suggestions

Go vote!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Dec 2019, 13:15

Both ViewSonic XG270 and XG270QG are available for voting there, so just want to give a heads up:

XG270 = 240 Hz ...This is the Blur Busters tuned & certified PureXP one
XG270QG = 165 Hz ...This is the one with the native G-SYNC chip with NVIDIA's own ULMB

So if you do vote, make sure to vote for the one you wanted to vote for!

The XG270QG (165Hz) votes is winning ahead of XG270 (240Hz), so scroll further down to vote for the XG270 if you are specifically wanting to vote for the 240 Hz IPS ViewSonic monitor instead of voting for the 165 Hz -- just to make sure your voting intent isn't confused between the two monitors. RTINGS uses a voting system to decide whether or not to review a monitor.

If your voting intent is for a missing model at RTINGS
1. Go to www.rtings.com/monitor/suggestions
2. Go to bottom
3. Click the "SHOW MORE" button, go to bottom again
4. Click the "SHOW MORE" button again until more than 200 monitor are displayed.
5. Now all monitors are displayed, and you can search for it via Ctrl+F
6. VOTE for the monitor(s) you want.

To get RTINGS to review gaming monitors:
You can vote 1 monitor a month for free.
You can vote 5 monitor a month if you pay $5 membership. 5 different monitors, or 5 votes on the same monitor.

You don't have to vote for ViewSonic on my suggestion, but I just want to provide a public information service to not confuse XG270 versus XG270QG... ;)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

LagBuster

Post by LagBuster » 07 Dec 2019, 18:32

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
07 Dec 2019, 13:15
If your voting intent is for a missing model at RTINGS
1. Go to www.rtings.com/monitor/suggestions
2. Go to bottom
3. Click the "SHOW MORE" button, go to bottom again
4. Click the "SHOW MORE" button again until more than 200 monitor are displayed.
5. Now all monitors are displayed, and you can search for it via Ctrl+F
6. VOTE for the monitor(s) you want.
I don't need to do this, I can just type in the model number and if it's available in the list it will show me it.

But yes, I noticed people were voting for the X270QG, not the X270, that's why I went ahead and added the XG270 to the list. :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Dec 2019, 19:41

Good catch, thanks!

In the White theme on RTINGS, Find Monitors looked like one of those Legend boxes -- and no cursor was flashing in it and it didn't have a search icon (magnifying glass) -- so I was not seeing the forest for the trees -- thanks.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

maxc0ntr0l

Post by maxc0ntr0l » 08 Dec 2019, 09:10

It's very good that we have 240Hz IPS with sRGB with strobing but there are TWO big problem of all strobing 1) eyе fatigue and 2) for me(starcraft2) impossible to get even 100fps minimal(no cpu with single threat performance enough on the market).

It is real to suggest viewsonic "black frame insert" as a feature of monitor: 240Hz on monitor, 120fps from display port(gpu)? Or even in future 480Hz monitor with 120fps input...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Dec 2019, 17:52

maxc0ntr0l wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 09:10
It's very good that we have 240Hz IPS with sRGB with strobing but there are TWO big problem of all strobing 1) eyе fatigue and 2) for me(starcraft2) impossible to get even 100fps minimal(no cpu with single threat performance enough on the market).

It is real to suggest viewsonic "black frame insert" as a feature of monitor: 240Hz on monitor, 120fps from display port(gpu)? Or even in future 480Hz monitor with 120fps input...
The strobe range is 75 Hz through 240 Hz.

240Hz with 120fps BFI is possible with software that has built-in black frame insertion, so it can be done Windows-side.

Black frame insertion at the refresh granularity is simply a mathematical "Hardware Strobe Length = 50%". In other words, there is theoretically no difference between a 120Hz monitor with support for 60 Hz software strobing at 50% refresh cycle pulse length (~8ms), versus using black frame insertion (8ms visible, 8ms OFF). That said, black frame insertion has a rolling-scan behavior since the refresh cycles are "wiped-in" like www.blurbusters.com/scanout -- which can be less harsh than full-strobe.

You will need to do it on the software/driver side. Building refresh-based black frame insertion is too big of a firmware ask for too small a niche market, but theoretically it can be done in a Windows virtual desktop driver. Then it would work with any game. I had been working on such a project but that had to be shelved for now while working on other Blur Busters initiatives.

I don't have eye fatigue once strobing is in the triple-digits. People DO get eyestrain from motion blur, so sometimes the motion clarity is the lesser evil once the strobing is high enough. Different people are sensitive to different things. Fatigue from stutter, fatigue from strobing, fatigue from motion blur, fatigue from poor colors, fatigue for wrong brightness (too bright/too dark), etc. In many cases, strobing can be less eyestrain if you're in a session that has lots of panning motion that you eye-track, like DOTA2 / LOL / RTS / etc.

ELK

Post by ELK » 09 Dec 2019, 15:20

Darn. This monitor has the same problem that I hate on every strobed monitor I've owned. I can't adjust the voltage (named response time OD on this mointor) while in strobed mode. In 144hz the first is a yellow ghost then the second is a blue corona... WTF?. in 120hz it's 2 blue coronas. in 100hz it's 1 yellow ghost.

Am I mad? NO. The motion clarity is INSANE in 120hz or 100hz. There is absolutely NO motion blur or smearing. CRT clarity. Brings me back to my dell p1130 triniton that would rock 1600x1200@100hz.

Is there a plan to make response time OD adjustable while in strobe mode, or maybe through firmware? Why does 144hz strobe have a ghost followed by a corona. Makes no sense and is freaking me out lol.

ELK

Post by ELK » 09 Dec 2019, 15:33

For those who are curious 240hz strobed has a strong second yellow ghost which creates a double image effect (I think this is what strobe crosstalk is? idk) It completely destroys clarity.

I HIGHLY recommend 100hz. On the moving photo test you do not see the ugly corona atop the rooftop like you do in 144hz and 120hz but I think this is because of the non adjustable response time OD. It's 100% CRT level awesome at 100hz. This is what I've been waiting for for so long. It's not 100% perfect because I do see ghosting on the ghosting test and on the street map moving photo (which is really strange because i see absolutely no ghosting on the vertical scrolling text test, super confused again, can you explain?) but it's completely invisible on all the other moving photos. I expect to see no ghosts while playing my fps.

However I know that when it comes to flashing lights what causes headaches stops around 100hz. There is a thread with a lot of science and vision stuff here on blur busters with info on it. Hopefully I don't get a headache.

I put my vote in on rtings! Unfortunately even though I skimmed the article before buying this monitor I didn't notice your link. 240hz+ips+blur buster approved=instantly sold... sorry I bought it so damn fast XD. I will however say I greatly appreciate the work you're doing on this monitor and all you do for the blur buster community.

Time to load up my favorite CRT era games!