Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Robbo99999

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Robbo99999 » 02 Jul 2022, 07:51

Quick Update: I had said in an earlier post that 120Hz PureXP performed better than 119Hz in terms of reduced artifacts, but today I re-tried the experiment using TestUfo and 119Hz performed significantly better. I wonder if this is temperature related or due to the panel "burning-in". The reason I say that is because it's 25 degC right now in this room, so that's gonna be a bit warmer than back in beginning of June, by maybe 5 degC difference or a bit less - also I will have put in the region of 350hrs on this monitor so far since I bought it so maybe the panel "burns-in" and behaves differently re PureXP and preferring 119Hz vs 120Hz? Mark Rejhon and of course others are welcome to comment on my experience right there. (I have changed slightly the Red Green Blue levels in Full Colour Control since my original test, so perhaps that's affected it too, or instead.)

DeFierro

Post by DeFierro » 04 Jul 2022, 20:27

After overthinking a lot, I grabbed this XG270 to upgrade my XL2720Z on my arcade machine and boy, this thing is marvelous. I'm pleasantly surprised that PureXP doesn't take a big hit on brightness even on its Extreme setting.

I'm currently using PureXP on Normal combined with Retroarch's BFI on 2. And even combined, it's bright enough for my needs, with no noticeable crosstalk at all.

My old XL2720Z had some trouble with stuttering on games like Metal Slug (the background specially) but this one is way smoother. Even finer, it does portrait mode on both sides and shmups have never looked better, as the viewing angle of the IPS panel is way greater than TNs.

I thank you Chief for tuning this one up, I think it's as close as we can get to CRT heaven for retrogaming lovers. I know it's a small niche, but if anyone is thinking about building a MAME cabinet or something with Windows, this is the one to get.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jul 2022, 16:40

DeFierro wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 20:27
After overthinking a lot, I grabbed this XG270 to upgrade my XL2720Z on my arcade machine and boy, this thing is marvelous. I'm pleasantly surprised that PureXP doesn't take a big hit on brightness even on its Extreme setting.

I'm currently using PureXP on Normal combined with Retroarch's BFI on 2. And even combined, it's bright enough for my needs, with no noticeable crosstalk at all.
180Hz BFI in RetroArch is a good move (2 black frames, 1 visible) with the XG270.
It's 100% immune to image retention that way.
DeFierro wrote:
I thank you Chief for tuning this one up, I think it's as close as we can get to CRT heaven for retrogaming lovers. I know it's a small niche, but if anyone is thinking about building a MAME cabinet or something with Windows, this is the one to get.
You might be interested to know about the ViewSonic XG2431 can go even more zero-crosstalk than XG270 (top/middle/bottom goes perfect) for emulators. It uses the ViewSonic Strobe Utility.

Also, the controversial-but-good Eve Spectrum 4K144 is also a great MAME panel too, if you're building an arcade cabinet (post). It uses the Eve Strobe Utility. There is KSF ghosting but it feels somewhat analogey (red phosphor ghosting) and the 4K-ness makes MAME HLSL shine.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

DeFierro

Post by DeFierro » 07 Jul 2022, 09:21

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 16:40
180Hz BFI in RetroArch is a good move (2 black frames, 1 visible) with the XG270.
It's 100% immune to image retention that way.
Yes, that's exactly how I'm using it. 180hz with BFI at 2 and PureXP on normal. The only disadvantage (besides being only 1080p) is that you need stable FPS or it will flicker, and also being forced to only play at 60fps, so games like R-Type that's originally a 55hz title, will play a little faster to get the strobing working right.

I also looked at the options you mention but those are not available in my country and I would've had to import them, which is a big difference in price. To give you an idea, I grabbed the XG270 (on sale) for 370 USD on a local store. The XG2431 after shipping and taxes is 477 USD on Amazon, and I didn't even want to think about the Eve, that I assume it would've been something like 1200 USD with a way longer waiting time. For someone living in the US, that XG2431 looks indeed like the perfect option for a bartop arcade build.

I'm pretty optimistic about where this is going though. I can truly imagine something like a 32" crosstalk free XG2431 at 4K in the future, perhaps with VRR strobing.

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 07 Jul 2022, 13:30

DeFierro wrote:

My old XL2720Z had some trouble with stuttering on games like Metal Slug (the background specially) but this one is way smoother. Even finer, it does portrait mode on both sides and shmups have never looked better, as the viewing angle of the IPS panel is way greater than TNs.
I'm using XL2411Z since many years, and have used 2720Z for a few months.
The stutter cannot be the fault of the monitor. Maybe you had some software issues, or have used it as a secondary monitor, which would be a likely culprit.

About the brightness. Neither of 6 monitors of this Benq line had serious brightness issue. Of course it's just a standard TN monitor, so the backlight strobing mode obviously makes it much dimmer.
This makes me think that either this ViewSonic is really a lot brighter and you're playing in a brightly lit room (sunny day) or mabye you've somehow missed the Blurbuster Strobe utility which allows you to pick the compromise between brightness and motion clarity.

Also, I'd argue 2720Z was good for MAME. Aside from it being an IPS, cause obviously pivot mode won't be even close to what you get on IPS. The 2720Z has no strobe range. It surely can do native 60Hz strobing and I'm 99,99999% sure it can even do 55Hz and 50Hz. But after trying 50Hz on LCD, I gave up after 30 seconds.
Luckily I still have my CRT. :D
(it's super dim, at least compared to what I remember, surely also my eyes are just "used up" as well, but nothing, absolutely nothing will beat the real CRT image in 16bit games. Amiga 50Hz PAL mode works great, MAME has "native res" on everything. CRTs are just the gods of retro, period :D )

Old Prospector

Post by Old Prospector » 22 Sep 2022, 15:52

What settings should I use for FPS?

I've had my XG270 for a while, but I have, frankly, forgotten the results of my testing at purchase. What I remember is: DisplayPort, 119hz, exclusive full screen, PureXP normal or extreme per desire.

I don't remember the proper Nvidia settings, including Gsync. I value input latency, but only to a certain extent.

kt1

Post by kt1 » 27 Sep 2022, 08:19

Hi:
My old monitor finally broke, in the market and I read you guys are the best on motion.

Question, how is the motion clarity on the XG270 vs the new QD-oled monitor varieties, and will there be a wide gamut version in the future?

buff3rbl0at

Post by buff3rbl0at » 23 Dec 2022, 17:26

Hey guys, has anyone found out how to get into the service menu of this monitor?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Jan 2023, 23:43

kt1 wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 08:19
Hi:
My old monitor finally broke, in the market and I read you guys are the best on motion.

Question, how is the motion clarity on the XG270 vs the new QD-oled monitor varieties, and will there be a wide gamut version in the future?
Without strobing, 240Hz OLED is ~1.5x clearer than 240Hz LCD due to OLED GtG being near zero.

With strobing, 240Hz LCD can still beat OLED.

Most people will increasingly opt for 240Hz non-strobed at OLED GtG pixel response speeds -- the combination is sufficiently motion nirvana for most people (i.e. people who use basic strobing rather than Custom PureXP or LightBoost 10% etc). Strobing fanatics will still thumb nose at OLED (for now).

ViewSonic is also releasing OLED too, so if you want to wait, there's that option too.

Now that being said, XG2431 supports Strobe Utility while XG270 does not. Just wanted to give you that heads up.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Jan 2023, 23:45

Old Prospector wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 15:52
What settings should I use for FPS?

I've had my XG270 for a while, but I have, frankly, forgotten the results of my testing at purchase. What I remember is: DisplayPort, 119hz, exclusive full screen, PureXP normal or extreme per desire.

I don't remember the proper Nvidia settings, including Gsync. I value input latency, but only to a certain extent.
Framerate=Hz is usually your best friend when it comes to strobing, and there are reduced-latency methods (e.g. VSYNC ON + NULL is easiest, while RTSS Scanline Sync can do lower lag). But brute framerate VSYNC OFF is also acceptable, too.

Try both 119 and 120 on XG270. Panel variances may lean one way or another. The 119 trick does not apply to XG2431 since it supports Strobe Utility to obliterate preset Hz requirement.