Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Jun 2020, 18:32

cheesebanana wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 09:38
Basically i'm looking to upgrade from a 144hz to a 240hz, and this monitor seems very well received and has the ol mark of approval from the experts themselves, but it feels counter intuitive to pay to upgrade to 240hz...and then run it at effectively 120hz to get the best results, if that makes sense.
Yes.
- No 240Hz panels can strobe perfectly clear top-to-bottom for the entire screen for 240Hz.
- This is why some vendors lock their strobe range to not run at high strobe Hz at 240Hz (e.g. ULMB 144Hz max)
- However, with XG270 you have a choice. You can strobe at any Hz (in 0.001Hz increments) from 75Hz through 240Hz.
- You can choose how much strobe crosstalk you are willing to tolerate.

Here's a motion blur chart:

PureXP = OFF

PureXP = ON

The four PureXP+ levels is calibrated to between 10% to 40% refresh cycle (in 10% increments) so your MPRT(100%) will vary from as little as <0.5ms MPRT (screen middle, 240Hz PureXP Ultra, but lots of crosstalk) to >5ms MPRT (screen middle, 75Hz PureXP+ Light).

In other words, for 1ms MPRT(100%) without using a motion blur reduction mode (strobe backlight mode), you need 1000fps on a 1000Hz display to match in a non-strobed manner.

For more information about GtG and MPRT, see Pixel Response FAQ: GtG Versus MPRT.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

cheesebanana

Post by cheesebanana » 24 Jun 2020, 07:01

Thank you so much for all of that.

I'm totally with you now.

It does essentially boil down to, this monitor can do a reaaaaaaally nice, nigh on CRT-level perfect 120hz, or you could run it at 240hz and it's still going to be top tier for that too, but not quite borderline-new-paradigm levels of awesomess with some standard blur reduction crosstalk artifacts present (but still better than most)

Depends on the game and the motion inherent to the game as to which one may end up looking and feeling better to you personally. Luckily, there's loads of customizability to dial in regardless, which is especially nice for mostly single-game players. Dial it in, set it and forget it.

Think i've finally decided on a 240, and gonna try and pick up one of these today.

Thanks!

qgshadow

Post by qgshadow » 24 Jun 2020, 18:54

Did BlurBusters test the new XL2546s ?

brownvim

Post by brownvim » 25 Jun 2020, 08:20

I just got this monitor, its sitting next to my FW9011 CRT and i'm really impressed, nice job chief!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Jun 2020, 11:36

brownvim wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 08:20
I just got this monitor, its sitting next to my FW9011 CRT and i'm really impressed, nice job chief!
Thanks! That is a fantastic CRT, normally part of "Why This 20-Year-Old CRT Monitor Is Better Than a 4K LCD (VICE.com).

I wish more websites would test lower-Hz strobing of 240Hz monitors, since hertzroom-below-max can improve strobe quality (closer to CRT quality). I'm writing a new article about optimizing strobe backlights, to update some ancient strobe-related articles on the main site.

What settings are you using for PureXP+?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

brownvim

Post by brownvim » 25 Jun 2020, 13:30

I have been flicking between Extreme and Ultra, its similar brightness to my CRT in Extreme. I'm waiting for it to get dark here so i can test further.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Jun 2020, 14:42

brownvim wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 13:30
I have been flicking between Extreme and Ultra, its similar brightness to my CRT in Extreme. I'm waiting for it to get dark here so i can test further.
Good to know!

Many say Ultra is too dim for them, but many old CRTs were also fairly dim too especially when worn over the years.
As a rule of thumb:

Ultra = 10% motion blur of non-strobed at same Hz
Extreme = 20% motion blur of non-strobed at same Hz
Normal = 30% motion blur of non-strobed at same Hz
Light = 40% motion blur of non-strobed at same Hz

If you want even less strobe crosstalk, you can create custom resolution modes for 75Hz and 100Hz too. The strobe range of XG270 is 75Hz-to-240Hz, with 120Hz recommended as a sweet spot. Most strobed monitors lock their strobe range (e.g. only 100Hz or 120Hz), but ViewSonic kept the strobe range unlocked so you can choose your tradeoffs (pros/cons).

brownvim

Post by brownvim » 25 Jun 2020, 14:58

I think the highest my FW900 got to was 180ish cd/m², in a bright room its not great especially as it has no AR Coating. Its beautiful in a dark room though.

I would sell it if the XG270 could do strobed 60hz from external sources. Why is the cut off at 75hz?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Jun 2020, 15:13

brownvim wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 14:58
I think the highest my FW900 got to was 180ish cd/m², in a bright room its not great especially as it has no AR Coating. Its beautiful in a dark room though.

I would sell it if the XG270 could do strobed 60hz from external sources. Why is the cut off at 75hz?
See this thread, Dear ViewSonic: Please Add 60 Hz Single-Strobe for PureXP on XG270.

Reasons of Lack of 60 Hz Hardware Strobe In Most Monitors
Although technically a 1-line firmware change, many manufacturers have chosen an arbitrary low-Hz strobe cutoff, because most users don't like flicker (and possibly also customer returns / liability concerrns). Unfortunately, that sabotages most strobed monitors from emulating CRTs well for emulators -- this is quite unfortunate, and caused a fuss among our users who want the choice. Manufacturers can display a warning message, "WARNING: PureXP will flicker at 60 Hz. Please discontinue use immediately if you get headaches or nausea."

60 Hz Single-Strobe Solution for Emulators (Combo of Software BFI + Hardware Strobe)
One solution is software-based black frame insertion. If you view www.testufo.com/blackframes at 120Hz PureXP+, you'll see that software BFI can be used to black-out every other hardware strobe. RetroArch, WinUAE and GroovyMAME emulators all support a software-based black frame insertion, and 60Hz BFI at 180 Hz PureXP+ (2 black frames per 1 visible frame) can be an even better option -- Lower latency, less interaction with LCD inversion. See the new modified GroovyMAME (see this forum thread of the new above-120Hz black frame insertion modifications). Please post in that thread over there on ArcadeControls if you like the BFI modifications.

brownvim

Post by brownvim » 25 Jun 2020, 16:33

Hopefully they add it soon as it would be perfect for my use and i'm sure a lot of others.

I have played around with BFI on the emulators and it looks great, maybe I don't need a CRT in an arcade cab anymore. Will have to play around more.