Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
ish^

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by ish^ » 16 Jan 2021, 18:08

Otzl wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 18:19
Polytech wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 15:42
Best blur reduction mode for me is 119hz with PureXP on Extreme setting. With 119hz strobed i can really track the moving window with text and actually read it in the same time. NO other mode allows that, i tried 240 unstrobed, 224 strobed and so on, 120hz strobed doesnt work as well, its even worse than 240hz unstrobed. I think i can safely extrapolate this assumption for other 240hz IPS and 240hz TN panels. So the best mode to use this monitor for surfing, working with text and so on for me is 119hz with PureXP on. Though its not nearly as good as the CRT 120Hz, even though i didnt see one for a LONG time, but still. I think there's noticeable difference. I see small ghosting trail behind a moving window on 119hz strobed . Also i dont notice strobing on 119hz on XG270. Even though my eyes are pretty sensitive. I recall seeing strobing on CRT with 85hz and below, at 100hz i was pretty comfortable and on any frequency above 100 i couldnt really notice it anymore.
I made a custom resolution with a large vertical total of 2269 at 119Hz. I highly recommend you create one yourself, as it takes 119Hz to near CRT motion clarity. Prepare to be amazed, seriously. Most of where you'd be looking at has no noticeable crosstalk.

I tried to create a low-lag custom resolution with a large vertical front porch value just like the Chief created in a related thread, but I cannot do so with CRU or AMD Control Panel. CEA-861 won't accept the vertical front porch of 1080, but when I create it under DisplayID, the custom resolution doesn't show. Besides, I don't notice any input delay as it is, so...
Would you mind sharing a screenshot of your CRU settings?
Tried doing this but it causes micro stutters in my tests :S

kawerte

Post by kawerte » 06 Feb 2021, 15:47

Is there a way to completely remove crosstalk on this monitor?
I've tried everything - PureXP at Ultra with 100Hz or 119Hz and even Large Vertical Total of 2268 (which doesn't make any difference).
Still there is a slight annoying crosstalk throughout the screen on the testufo blur reduction test.
Top and bottom lines are worse than the middle section.
Am I doing something wrong?

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 07 Feb 2021, 13:39

Seems is the expected result. Screenshots made by another owners months ago at 100 and 120Hz Ultra, and 119Hz ApertureGrille.com review, also show a bit of crosstalk top and bottom. Seems with this IPS pixel color change speed (GtG 100% transition time) and the absence of rolling scan backlight to take full advantage of current GtG, 100Hz can't be conquested.

But even with this issue, is a very good result taking into account the hardware limitations, like GtG or strobe peak brightness. Good Strobe Tuning work, it get almost the best of this hardware. Waiting better hardware BlurBusters Approved.

https://www.aperturegrille.com/reviews/ ... talk-119Hz

Rtings.com XG270 Overdrive Faster (Recommended)

100Hz is one refresh each 10ms. Is need add the scanout speed at begin, and the strobe MPRT at end. GtG must reach target color in betwhen, or crosstalk appears.

When 100Hz (10ms) refresh begin, with 240Hz (4.16ms) internal scanout speed, takes 4.16ms to refresh all pixels, and let's say MPRT is 1ms, so the first pixel has 9ms to reach color target until next 100Hz refresh, but last pixel only have 4.84ms.

See table, how many Total Response GtG is under 4.84 to make sure crosstalk never appears ? GtG bottleneck

You have tested under 100Hz ? 80Hz must be more clear, but under 100Hz is flicker territory. You see flicker at 100Hz or lower ?

kawerte

Post by kawerte » 07 Feb 2021, 14:53

Thank you for the reply AddictFPS!
Yeah, I am running it at 100Hz as it really seems the best one. No flicker to me at 100Hz.
PureXP at Ultra is extremely good, but sadly too dim to use it for everyday and I couldn't find a way to make the display brighter
(by changing gamma, color temp, contrast and what not), so I guess I will continue to use 100Hz at PureXP Extreme.
Thanks again for the info.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Feb 2021, 21:29

kawerte wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 14:53
Thank you for the reply AddictFPS!
Yeah, I am running it at 100Hz as it really seems the best one. No flicker to me at 100Hz.
PureXP at Ultra is extremely good, but sadly too dim to use it for everyday and I couldn't find a way to make the display brighter
(by changing gamma, color temp, contrast and what not), so I guess I will continue to use 100Hz at PureXP Extreme.
Thanks again for the info.
For current panels, there is a brightness-versus-clarity tradeoff due to the Talbot-Plateau Theorem (law of physics) where brightness halves during persistence halving. There is only so much a voltage-boosted strobe backlight can do, before it potentially damages the LEDs by trying to strobe too bright too briefly.

ULMB has the same tradeoff effect (ULMB Pulse Width setting) and BenQ DyAc has the same effect (Strobe Duty / Persistence setting).

That said, PureXP 75Hz, 100Hz and 119Hz has less strobe crosstalk than NVIDIA ULMB has on any IPS panel that I know of during 2020 and prior. So while there is strobe crosstalk with PureXP on XG270, it is one of the best available for any IPS panel at the same strobe refresh rate range of 75Hz-120Hz.

The crosstalk is worse at the top and bottom for all of them (PureXP, DyAc, ULMB, etc), due to the asymmetric effect of the LCD scanout in dark (www.blurbusters.com/scanout) and the global strobe flash. That's the asymmetry between "GtG-start-time":"strobe-flash-time" on a per-pixel basis, and the strobe backlight is tuned for minimum crosstalk in screen centre.

If you want even less strobe crosstalk than 100Hz, try creating a 75Hz refresh rate.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

kawerte

Post by kawerte » 09 Feb 2021, 13:59

Thanks for the explanation Chief!
Is there a way to create a setting for PureXP that is between Extreme and Ultra? I would like to use Ultra but it is simply too dark.
Somewhere on the forum was said that the default setting for PureXP before the latest firmware was between Extreme and Ultra.
Can I recreate that setting somehow on the new firmware, or can I somehow go back to the previous firmware where you couldn't adjust strobing?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Feb 2021, 22:32

kawerte wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 13:59
Thanks for the explanation Chief!
Is there a way to create a setting for PureXP that is between Extreme and Ultra? I would like to use Ultra but it is simply too dark.
Somewhere on the forum was said that the default setting for PureXP before the latest firmware was between Extreme and Ultra.
Can I recreate that setting somehow on the new firmware, or can I somehow go back to the previous firmware where you couldn't adjust strobing?
Unfortunately, not on this particular monitor model.

However, I am pushing for more adjustability in future monitors that are approved under Blur Busters Approved Program Version 2.0 (2021), at least as an optional User Defined setting. Please keep tuned for upcoming announcements.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Markachy

Post by Markachy » 01 Mar 2021, 15:47

Hi all!

I have been reading many threads on here for the last few weeks, getting to know motion blur better, and solutions to it. I remember getting our first ever LCD monitor, that came with a new family PC back when I was around 15 years old, and wondering at the time why games just didn't look the same on the new system in some hard-to-describe way compared to our older PC with a CRT - this was despite the vastly improved graphics power. I now realise it was the LCD blur that came with the new monitor, but I guess time lulled me into acceptance of blur, and I forgot what I was missing. Up until now! The work done on this website/forum is absolutely amazing, and kudos for it. It is making a difference in terms of fighting all the smeary screens around nowadays!

This has all led to my purchase yesterday of the XG270. I hadn't quite appreciated how much of an impact that the strobing can have until I saw it in person - it is crazy how clear things can look compared to standard modes! I've had a few issues however getting things set up to optimise PureXP, and have a few other queries before I can commit to keeping it that I'd love some insight into.

Firstly, some context: I currently have an Acer XF270HUA, a 1440P Freesync 144Hz IPS monitor, and no slouch, but has always felt quite "blurry" to me, although the Freesync and colours are good. Before I settled on it a number of years ago, I've been able to try a Dell S2719DGF (felt less blurry than my Acer but I struggled with the TN panel colours and viewing angles), a Viewsonic XG2401 (I remember it felt the most smooth, but same TN panel issues), and a Samsung curved VA panel (C27FG73 I think), which I found hideous and borderline unusable in games in terms of blur (black smearing?). I use my monitor for games (mainly single player, story-driven, RPG and FPS) AND for work (lots of reading scientific papers and writing reports, light coding).

I have an AMD RX5700XT, paired with a Ryzen 3600, so a decent setup for achieving 120Hz in a lot of games at the 1920x1080 resolution of the XG270.

I've had issues with multiple games I've tried so far - Civ 6, Doom Eternal, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, none of which wanted to play ball with Vsync properly or consistently. Doom Eternal repeatedly reset my actual display settings within Windows from 119.88Hz to 60Hz, and then ran at 60Hz locked itself, Civ 6 wanted to run with Vsync on at 144Hz (ruining PureXP), and Deus Ex just didn't feel "right" either (hard to tell exactly what was going on as Rivatuner for some reason would not display FPS details on it). I got periods where it "clicked" and things looked great (especially Doom Eternal), but then issues cropped up and it lost that clarity. It has led to a lot of hassle, messing with settings, Radeon Chill, Enhanced Sync, Borderless Windowed modes, etc etc. However, for the periods of time where they were playing ball, it was glorious, and leaves me wanting to sort the issues and keep the PureXP goodness! So to my queries:

1. To avoid using any in-game vsync settings after multiple issues, I have now settled on using Rivatuner Statistics Server to lock framerate to 119.87Hz (0.01Hz less than monitor refresh, as recommended on here), and have disabled Freesync (on monitor and Radeon software), disabled Radeon Chill (which I tried for a while initially to lock frame rate when ingame Vsync failed), and enabled AMD Enhanced Sync in Radeon software. Given I am not a competitive, twitch-shooter online gamer but play mainly single-player, story driven FPSes and RPGs and so value blur reduction over input lag, are these the best settings and steps to use to achieve an easy-to-manage, good, consistent PureXP setup, that will work across games with minimal messing around?

2. I currently use an MX Master 1 mouse, which apparently has a 125Hz polling rate and up to 1600dpi sensor (things I'd never worried about until my reading here!). I have set the pointer sensitivity to max using the Logitech Options software - is this the correct way to do it? And also, will changing mouse to one with a 1000Hz polling rate really make that much difference to the blur/micro-stutter in, for example, Doom Eternal at 119.8Hz, from personal experience, and given that I am sensitive to blur?

2. I am struggling a bit with 1080P on a 27" monitor on my desk, and am eagerly awaiting the news on the 24" XG2431 on here as a result. It feels a lot of money to spend to step down from 1440P, especially for work. But in the same breath, being able to run games at 120Hz at 1440P is not realistic with my hardware, and I do value clarity and smoothness a lot. Do people get used to the 1080P at this size for work? And (I know you might not be able to say much yet Chief, but even a hint!) is there the prospect on the very near horizon of outstanding strobing at, for example, 75Hz? (I can't see how to set this monitor to 75Hz to test it and see how it performs, there is no option within the Windows display settings - how do I try this with the XG270? Is it much worse than the 120Hz "best" setting?)

3. Colours - what colour profile should I be using for this monitor? I think I have one saved from my XF270HUA - is there a way to "reset" the profile to default without losing that setting if I decide to go back to my old monitor? Any tips for colour tuning this one for PureXP use, either in Windows or in monitor menus?

4. An an outsider question - in the opinion of people who have seen these monitors (or similar), would a Nano IPS 27" 1440P monitor show significantly less blur than my XF270HUA, to the point where it would feel close to the 120Hz strobing clarity of this monitor? I have pondered one of the NanoIPS panels for a while due to their sweet spot of 1440P, low blur (apparently) and great IPS colours. Is the gap between them and PureXP still huge?

Thanks for all done here in the name of busting blur, and apologies for the essay! But you now have a convert!

Ansive

Post by Ansive » 09 Mar 2021, 10:08

I got a Somfy remote to control my window shades. I think it uses a radio signal... RTS.
Almost every time I use the remote the monitor turns off for a few seconds. It's as if the monitor reads the remote signal.
I'm wondering if there is a setting in the monitor I can use to stop this from happening.
But I guess this question is more suited for Viewsonic support.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Mar 2021, 18:32

Ansive wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 10:08
I got a Somfy remote to control my window shades. I think it uses a radio signal... RTS.
Almost every time I use the remote the monitor turns off for a few seconds. It's as if the monitor reads the remote signal.
I'm wondering if there is a setting in the monitor I can use to stop this from happening.
But I guess this question is more suited for Viewsonic support.
It's RFI / EMI / interference

Quite common, my ASUS monitor does the same too when I turn on a LED desk lamp next to the monitor (Some cheap LED bulbs emit a brief surge of interference when powering up, when it's too close to the monitor) -- equipment can be literally EMP bombs to other equipment, with the interference surge/pulse being emitted by high-power devices that are too close to each other.

Probably unrelated to the remote control, but a side effect of a sudden electromagnetic pulse coming from a motor. See below:

Fortunately, usually there's simple fixes:

Please:
(1) Locate your monitor & monitor power brick further away from the power cable, power brick or motor connected to your blinds
(2) Operate your remote control at least 1 meter away from your nearest computer equipment (monitor, computer, wires)
(3) Keep blinds power wires at least half a meter away from computer power wires
(4) Keep blinds power brick at least half a meter away from computer/monitor power bricks
(5) Try plugging your blinds into a power filter (i.e. a separate protected power bar), to protect interference from travelling over the power wires back into the computer (through the same power outlet or same shared power bar).

You are simply experiencing interference, a common cause of many computer problems.

All monitors on retail have a FCC statement that indicates your equipment may have interference. Refer to Page 70 of ViewSonic XG270 manual.

Sometimes interference is too sensitive (e.g. LG 5K WiFi interference situation) and requires remediation. But this isn't the case here because some blinds motors emit 100x more interference than a WiFi router. It would cost too much to all vendors to encase the monitor like a thick radiation-proof metal tank to resist stronger interference sources than a WiFi router -- That's why there's a disclaimer that monitors must accept interference too strong to be shielded since it is sometimes impossible when interference is too strong -- see below. All vendors have do this (ASUS, BenQ, ViewSonic, LG, whatever).

All monitors on the market has this interference disclaimer too. The inverse square law is your friend -- pay attention to distance between computer + wiring + power bricks behind your desk! Universal rule for all equipment. This is very old FCC rules written years ago so the "antenna" can be "intefering device" or "power brick". And "television" is "computer accessory or blinds accessory". But the principles of adding distance between equipment (and their power supplies) is the rule of thumb.
fcc.png
fcc.png (275.63 KiB) Viewed 6608 times