Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
OneEyedLeftist

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by OneEyedLeftist » 05 Aug 2020, 01:12

AddictFPS wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 00:44
OneEyedLeftist wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 04:55
Is there any 27" 1440p monitor with PureXP or any other strobing? I'm still using my 1080p BenQ XL2720Z.. Getting tired of how crappy 1080p looks on modern games... It's like most games from the last 3 or 4 years look worse at 1080p than 720p looked on older games.

But I need something to remove the blur, gives me headaches and I don't want to go back to that.
The bad 1080 look i think is due mainly to aliasing and shimmering, but if you set high quality Anti-Aliasing, with at least 4 samples, you can improve to much. DSR for Nvidia do a god job, but only 2x2 supersampling at max quality. Supersampling hide modes can be enabled using Nvidia Inspector (only for Nvidia GPU) 4x4 and combined mode SS+MSAA. Also temporal AA modes. But temporal AA add input lag !

The more quality AA, looks better. No AA Vs high quality AA difference is like day and night. Even you can feel it more sharp that 1440p monitor without AA.
The problem is most of these newer games also are hardwired for Temporal AA and use some kind of postprocessing that will ignore any other type of AA you try to force. Temporal AA adds a blur that completely negates using a strobing monitor. Fallout 4 was the first game I ever encountered the issue with. Fallout 3 without AA looks 1000x better than Fallout 4 (and every other game that uses TAA that I've disabled it on) with TAA disabled. It's almost like modern games purposely gimp their graphics for TAA. But that's another issue entirely not to have to do with monitors. :)

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 05 Aug 2020, 03:40

I agree, developers can make default and recommended settings, but hardcoded settings is a step back, clients pay, therefore they should be able to choose the settings they like.

Smo

Post by Smo » 07 Aug 2020, 14:40

Polytech wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 14:32
For those people who cant launch Elite Display Control after updates. Do a memory recall in monitor menu. Then try to turn off RGB in there as well. EDC was able to launch for me after that. Not sure if turning off RGB helps, but memory recall sure does.
Sadly tried this and it didn't work. EDC still won't launch, has anyone else found any work around?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Aug 2020, 13:59

Smo wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 14:40
Sadly tried this and it didn't work. EDC still won't launch, has anyone else found any work around?
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest downloaded version directly from ViewSonic?
Deadvard wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 18:00
Still not getting the firmware update in the elite display controller with the cable firmly connected. I've tried reinstalling the program, resetting all my monitor settingss to default, etc. I just don't know what to do anymore.
You may already have the firmware preinstalled. Newer factory shipments are having the newer firmwares already. Open the PureXP menu. If there are 5 options (4 settings + OFF) instead of 2 options (ON/OFF), you have the upgraded firmware already.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

AnalogueInterface

Post by AnalogueInterface » 17 Aug 2020, 01:32

I've been looking forward to a 60Hz strobing mode for the XG270 for quite some time as an enthusiastic owner of this monitor, but I'm realize that may not be in ViewSonic's purview at the moment. 60Hz strobing would be amazing for a lot of the video I work with and view. As a content consumer and creator, are there any video players with Black Frame Insertion or video tools that allow transcoding 60fps videos to 120fps videos with BFI?

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 17 Aug 2020, 06:34

Smooth Video Project - Real Time Video Frame Rate Conversion

Allow convert 60p to 120p, interpolating frames, or adding black frames, enjoy !

I consider this software BFI a must be in current GPU Drivers, in order to play modern 60FPS locked games or video 60p with less motion blur, like Retroarch old emulator games + software BFI plugin.

But sadly Nvidia seems ignore the request, 6 mooths without reply. So waiting XG270 firmware upgrade, or next BlurBusters Approved monitor, i'm sure it will have unlocked single strobe.

If someone want increase pressure over Nvidia Driver forum BFI request, this is the link: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... n-classhi/

Smo

Post by Smo » 17 Aug 2020, 10:37

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 13:59
Smo wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 14:40
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest downloaded version directly from ViewSonic?
I just did that, it launches briefly and I see it in the icon tray, but quickly goes away. I never actually see the EDC screen. The last time it actually launched was when the firmware update hit and a few people posted about EDC not launching. I have submitted a ticket and they are investigating, no luck yet.

Just to be clear, Elite Display Controller v1.2.0.0 fresh install
Ticket: 82948

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Aug 2020, 23:16

AddictFPS wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 06:34
Allow convert 60p to 120p, interpolating frames, or adding black frames, enjoy !
AnalogueInterface wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 01:32
I've been looking forward to a 60Hz strobing mode for the XG270 for quite some time as an enthusiastic owner of this monitor, but I'm realize that may not be in ViewSonic's purview at the moment. 60Hz strobing would be amazing for a lot of the video I work with and view. As a content consumer and creator, are there any video players with Black Frame Insertion or video tools that allow transcoding 60fps videos to 120fps videos with BFI?
ffmpeg has a complex command line that can add BFI but don't transcode! That's wrong procedure, wrong workflow. Do direct BFI instead. Add black frames via the player. 1:1 for 120Hz, 2:1 for 180Hz, and 3:1 for 240Hz.

Another hack technique is to display the 60fps video horizontally compressed on the left half of your 120Hz screen, and black on the right half. And use SBS mode of a 3D frame-sequential projector.

For YouTube, it's possible to create a very crude jsfiddle that adds BFI via HTML5 to YouTube:
https://jsfiddle.net/4dphfe8y/
(Courtesy: Me. Please give Blur Busters a shout-out if you apply software BFI to video embed's. Also, anti-burn-in code has been added to this jsfiddle (occasionally adds 2 black frames instead of 1 full black frame, once every few seconds) to avoid bad interactions with LCD voltage inversion algorithms with BFI)

It's not 100% reliable, and it will erratically flicker in some web browsers, so try both FireFox and Chrome, to see which has the least erratic flicker.

I may create an experimental browser-based BFI video player that accepts a whitelisted video URL (YouTube, VIMEO, Twitch, even a MOV file on web) and applies BFI to the said URL in a universal refresh-rate-autodetecting manner.

Combining 120Hz hardware strobing with 60fps software BFI, creates a pretty good CRT effect for 60fps videos. Works best with 8-bit panels, not 6-bit FRC panels, as it really kills the color depth.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Smo

Post by Smo » 11 Sep 2020, 18:55

Hey Chief, still no dice on EDC launching - I've reached out to their support and after a month or so they've come to the conclusion that I need to re-install EDC with admin privileges... I've tried that. No Dice. Have you had any luck on your side?

Thanks

allocater

Post by allocater » 20 Sep 2020, 05:50

Hi, I bought the monitor and I set it to 120 hz and can see the 120 fps UFO clearly now!

But when I scroll a website the black text gets a white ghost. Can this be fixed?

Here my full results:

240hz: 240fps UFO -> 1 UFO ghost (scrolling text has horizontal blur (no idea how this is even possible))
240hz: 120fps UFO -> 2 UFO ghosts
240hz: 60fps UFO -> 4 UFO ghosts

120hz: 120fps UFO -> perfect (scrolling text has 1 white ghost)
120hz: 60fps UFO -> 1 UFO ghosts
120hz: 30fps UFO -> 2 UFO ghosts