Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 May 2020, 13:31

niros wrote:
30 May 2020, 05:29
also- do you think we'll see a frimware upgrade in the future that allow purexp to work without changing the brightness? or its a hardware thingy that cant be changed by frimware?
Hardware thing that can only be adjusted as a strobe pulse width (like the 4 levels of PureXP or the adjustments found in other monitors, such as NVIDIA's "ULMB Pulse Width"). By defintion, a strobe backlight mode requires turning on/off the backlight every refresh cycle. That, by itself, necessarily changes the brightness. There are tricks to trade off brightness versus clarity, since motion blur is directly proportional to pixel vibility time, regardless of strobed or non-strobed.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

niros

Post by niros » 30 May 2020, 13:35

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 May 2020, 13:31
niros wrote:
also- do you think we'll see a frimware upgrade in the future that allow purexp to work without changing the brightness? or its a hardware thingy that cant be changed by frimware?
Hardware thing that can only be adjusted as a strobe pulse width (like the 4 levels of PureXP or the adjustments found in other monitors, such as NVIDIA's "ULMB Pulse Width"). By defintion, a strobe backlight mode requires turning on/off the backlight every refresh cycle. That, by itself, necessarily changes the brightness. There are tricks to trade off brightness versus clarity, since motion blur is directly proportional to pixel vibility time, regardless of strobed or non-strobed.
Can you share of to properly make 240hz/224hz on CRU with the right settings that will allow the use of Fastest OD+ Full Color Control?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 May 2020, 13:35

niros wrote:
30 May 2020, 13:35
Can you share of to properly make 240hz/224hz on CRU with the right settings that will allow the use of Fastest OD+ Full Color Control?
The screens were posted earlier in the thread.
During June, a HOWTO will be posted.
TheMadMan697 wrote:
27 May 2020, 19:09
Which of the two, native or standard timings is the better setting to use when making the resolution?
Both have worked, but I would keep it to default when unsure.
niros wrote:
When you say 224hz purexp with vsync off and uncapped fps - is still better even if you cant match fps/hz?
Let's view this from an apples-vs-apples perspective.

If your priority is to improve the overdrive a little bit, then any framerate at 224Hz is better than any framerate at 240Hz at the same sync setting. This seems to be occuring regardless of sync setting (VSYNC ON/OFF/VRR)
secretwar66 wrote:
30 May 2020, 13:14
Has anyone used the on screen crosshair available in settings? Mine seems to time out after a random period and then come back occasionally. I tried adjusting the timeout for the menus overall but it didn’t seem to have an effect.
When does it come back? Resolution change, etc?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

secretwar66

Post by secretwar66 » 30 May 2020, 15:54

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
niros wrote:
The screens were posted earlier in the thread.
During June, a HOWTO will be posted.
TheMadMan697 wrote:
27 May 2020, 19:09
Which of the two, native or standard timings is the better setting to use when making the resolution?
Both have worked, but I would keep it to default when unsure.
niros wrote:
When you say 224hz purexp with vsync off and uncapped fps - is still better even if you cant match fps/hz?
Let's view this from an apples-vs-apples perspective.

If your priority is to improve the overdrive a little bit, then any framerate at 224Hz is better than any framerate at 240Hz at the same sync setting. This seems to be occuring regardless of sync setting (VSYNC ON/OFF/VRR)
secretwar66 wrote:
30 May 2020, 13:14
Has anyone used the on screen crosshair available in settings? Mine seems to time out after a random period and then come back occasionally. I tried adjusting the timeout for the menus overall but it didn’t seem to have an effect.
When does it come back? Resolution change, etc?

Thanks for responding! No particular resolution change, just disapears after a while. Shows as active if you pull the menu back up but its not there. If you pull up the menu then back out of it, it reappears. Upon further testing it does timeout in sync with what you set the “OSD Timeout” setting to. It disappears after 60 seconds when set to 60/60 and 5 seconds set to 5/60. I’m using standard 1920x1080p, 240hz, game mode standard, response time “faster” gsync on.

GammaLyrae

Post by GammaLyrae » 30 May 2020, 17:17

GammaLyrae wrote:
13 May 2020, 20:54
Decided to bite the bullet and just ordered the monitor. For use outside of PureXP I don't expect a huge leap for high refresh rate performance relative to the PG279Q I have, but tests show the XG270 has lower motion blur at lower refresh rates, and even if PureXP isn't CRT perfect (according to the few images posted here anyway), it'll still be leaps and bounds ahead of the ULMB implementation on the PG279Q.

My dream monitor would be something with proper ELMB-sync on an OLED, but that's probably not happening in my lifetime :lol:
It came in today. 100hz looks about as good as expected. Firmware updated fine, really nice to have the ability to choose your own tradeoff between brightness and motion blur with the selectable levels.

120hz looked kind of average. Not a huge upgrade over the PG279Q. Having a similar experience to a prior poster where 119hz ended up looking much better (about as good as 100hz does). I'll have to go back and re-read some posts to see if I need to set up a custom resolution or something.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 May 2020, 21:16

GammaLyrae wrote:
30 May 2020, 17:17
Firmware updated fine, really nice to have the ability to choose your own tradeoff between brightness and motion blur with the selectable levels.
Thanks for the compliment :D
GammaLyrae wrote:
30 May 2020, 17:17
120hz looked kind of average. Not a huge upgrade over the PG279Q. Having a similar experience to a prior poster where 119hz ended up looking much better (about as good as 100hz does). I'll have to go back and re-read some posts to see if I need to set up a custom resolution or something.
Try warming up the monitor for a bit to break it in. See if 120Hz improves. There's a slight temperature-sensitivity in LCDs that dynamically affects strobe crosstalk, if you received the monitor in a cold shipment. We calibrated it after a 1-hour warm up, so the PureXP calibration is optimized for a warmed-up monitor the average room temperature (20C)

niros

Post by niros » 31 May 2020, 09:48

Chief thanks for the comments as usual :) I'll be waiting for June guide on CRU and so on.

Wanted to know if i should mess with ECO mode in the Monitor Settings?
it's on Standart right now..
should it be something else? anyway to disable eco?

GammaLyrae

Post by GammaLyrae » 31 May 2020, 14:42

Ansive wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 14:22
Summary of the photos:

100hz - 114.6Khz/99.9hz 302.6 Mhz
> upper to middle 50% = very low crosstalk
> very top = colored pre ghost
> lower part = colored after ghost
https://imgur.com/a/d1yIufe

119hz - 134.9Khz/119.9hz 296.7 Mhz
> upper to middle 40% = very low crosstalk
> very top = overdrive after ghost + colored pre ghost
https://imgur.com/a/0h88JxS

120hz - 135.1Khz/120.1hz 297.0 Mhz
> middle to lower 20% = very low crosstalk
> top = overdrive after ghost
https://imgur.com/a/Yh4eGUB

144hz - 158.3Khz/144.2hz 325.0 Mhz
> middle 15% = low crosstalk
> lower part = colored after ghost + 2nd overdrive after ghost
https://imgur.com/a/W8kRVpa

240hz - 278.4Khz/240.0hz 564.8 Mhz (no OC)
> very top and bottom 10% = low crosstalk
> upper middle = colored after ghost
> lower middle = double image
241hz - 279.3Khz/240.8hz 567.2 Mhz
> same as above
https://imgur.com/a/1iSWlr4
My 100, 119, and 120hz results are very similar to yours here. Being very sensitive to inverse ghosting artifacts, I actually end up finding 100/119 preferable, even if 120hz might have what some would consider better overall crosstalk performance. In desktop use, like for browsing this forum, at 100, 119, or 240hz, scrolling past high contrast content like text in posts does get a little blurrier, but there aren't much in the way of inverted after images trailing past anything. 120hz gives razor sharp text that's 100% visible at near any scrolling speed, at the expense of having equally sharp inverted afterimages trailing them. This is with the latest firmware, memory recall performed after upgrade, after warming up, etc.

I have to wonder, is there a CRU trick of some sort I could try that would give 100/119-like performance at 120hz refresh rate?

I'm also going to tag this one for myself to try later: I was playing a shmup and had screen blackouts occur during specific portions where the game hitches entirely.
Zealot wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 07:40
Ansive wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 02:49
Also my screen blacks out from time to time when using Gsync, but that might be Nvidia's driver to blame.
I had that issue aswell, I fixed it by using CRU to set the VR limit from 48 - 240 to 55-240. No more black screens once I changed the lower VRR limit.

Open CRU(Custom Resolution Utility) and hit Edit in the top right corner, then change the Vrate limit like i mentioned. You will have to use the restart .exe thats included in the download afterwards

donnie

Post by donnie » 01 Jun 2020, 04:49

Did anybody measure input lag with different modes? I am wondering if there is input lag difference between 224hz and 240hz non strobed.

Also let's say I am after lowest input lag, does having 240hz and G-sync on and V-Sync off, have more lag then without G-Sync? I know people are saying G-Sync doesn't add input lag, but then why are people avoiding it so hard, not really sure.

Also let's say I want to play some fps game where I mostly get +240fps but sometimes dip in to the 200 area. Would making 240hz OD Fastest with G-Sync on make sense in terms of lowest input lag possible (neglecting the lower motion clarity then other modes.)

CommandoSteve

Post by CommandoSteve » 01 Jun 2020, 11:52

Why would I buy a 240hz monitor just to use it at 120hz though? Wouldn't I buy a 120hz monitor for that? I have the AW2518hf but was disappointed by the motion blur for competitive shooters and was looking for a different monitor, would this one be a good choice?