Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Captain Hammer

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Captain Hammer » 18 Dec 2019, 23:28

First time poster. I spent the last couple of weeks looking for a new monitor, and bought this one (hopefully using the reference link correctly) primarily because of this thread. I never realized how much motion blur was wrecking my experience with certain games, and how I'd built habits around it (how I look, what I do, etc.). I'm really looking forward to that firmware upgrade, but after adjusting gamma I've pretty much settled on keeping purexp on all the time even during the day.

One question I do have: I often remote into my desktop, which wakes the monitor. Does backlight strobing come at a big energy or lifespan cost? I need to make a habit of turning it off when I'm done if so.

Alpine_Stranger

Post by Alpine_Stranger » 19 Dec 2019, 00:19

Hi guys. I'm super happy with this monitor. Does anyone else who owns this monitor use Razer's Chroma Connect with it? I can't seem to get the monitor to show up in the devices tab in Synapse... Is there a trick to it?

Thanks!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Dec 2019, 02:02

Captain Hammer wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 23:28
One question I do have: I often remote into my desktop, which wakes the monitor. Does backlight strobing come at a big energy or lifespan cost? I need to make a habit of turning it off when I'm done if so.
There is no energy or lifespan cost for using PureXP.

It actually uses less energy; since energy consumption is more correlated to average human perceived brightness of the screen. LEDs are safely "strobed" millions times per second on optic fiber communications, so simple 120 Hz doesn't even wear the LED backlight/edgelights unless they're excessively overvoltaged overboosted (which it isn't on the XG270).

There is no harm in leaving it on 100% of the time, unless you have a flicker sensitivity. That said, some of us get more eyestrain from motion blur, so the strobe (at a comfortable 120Hz+) is a definite lesser evil.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Dec 2019, 02:04

Captain Hammer wrote:
First time poster. I spent the last couple of weeks looking for a new monitor, and bought this one (hopefully using the reference link correctly) primarily because of this thread. I never realized how much motion blur was wrecking my experience with certain games, and how I'd built habits around it (how I look, what I do, etc.).
Indeed, glad you like PureXP! As long as it's used at ideal settings (Use 120Hz if using PureXP, and use framerate=Hz matching), the blur elimination benefits are uncanny.
Alpine_Stranger wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 00:19
Hi guys. I'm super happy with this monitor. Does anyone else who owns this monitor use Razer's Chroma Connect with it? I can't seem to get the monitor to show up in the devices tab in Synapse... Is there a trick to it?
Thank you for the compliment! I will reach out to ViewSonic about this. Hang tight!
Captain Hammer wrote:
and bought this one (hopefully using the reference link correctly)
P.S. Thank you for using the Blur Busters Affiliate links that sends a commission to Blur Busters. You can buy anywhere you wish (don't have to be via Blur Busters, you can choose to support great allies such as RTINGS or TFTCentral or others instead!). That said, totally appreciate it if you do from this thread's automatic advertisements or affiliate links. Cheers.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 19 Dec 2019, 05:23

I have a question: comparing the Sony FW900 with the Viewsonic XG270, on a well lit room (from a sunny window), what is easier to look at?
I have a CRT and when i have not light or i have an "artificial" one it looks great but if it is a sunny day i have to "close" the window and still it looks a bit like washed out. As you can compare both maybe you can tell us-me ;) .

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 00:53
Wow, 37 votes already thanks to you all enthusaic readers!
41 now! Can't wait to see its review! (hopefully soon).

Thormus

Post by Thormus » 21 Dec 2019, 00:00

I’m having an issue with this monitor. The latest Nvidia drivers lists the XG270 as GSync compatible but it is not recognized in the control panel. Also whenever I have vrr enabled and play a game or test the GSync with Nvidia pendulum test the screen goes black intermittently.

witega

Post by witega » 23 Dec 2019, 01:16

Thormus wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 00:00
I’m having an issue with this monitor. The latest Nvidia drivers lists the XG270 as GSync compatible but it is not recognized in the control panel. Also whenever I have vrr enabled and play a game or test the GSync with Nvidia pendulum test the screen goes black intermittently.

You need to make sure Adaptive Sync is turned On and PureXP is turned Off in the OSD menu of the monitor. You won't see a G-Sync option in the Nvidia Control Panel if this isn't set as such.

I'm not sure what you mean you have "vrr enabled" when you say G-Synce is not recognized in the Control Panel (G-Sync = VRR).

What Nvidia card are you using?

Thormus

Post by Thormus » 23 Dec 2019, 09:27

I have adaptive sync on and purexp grey's out so it's not possible to have that on as well in the OSD of the monitor. G-sync option does show in the nvidia control panel and says the monitor is not validated as g-sync compatible even though it's listed in the latest nvidia driver specifically. I can turn gsync on in the control panel and it will run the pendulum test. However I experience random intermittent black screens in that pendulum test and when I play games such as World of Warcraft or Overwatch. I have a 1070 TI GPU and a i7 7700k CPU. I have used DDU to remove drivers and re-installed.

GammaLyrae

Post by GammaLyrae » 24 Dec 2019, 15:48

I started sleuthing around a bit to try and get some answers to minor questions I'd had about this monitor.

TFTCentral did a review on the Acer Nitro XV273 X which has a 240hz 1920x1080 IPS panel, and they listed this panel as being inside of it - M270HAN03.0

I used the search tool on Panelook and it looks like that's the only panel with this specs, so it seems relatively safe to assume that all current monitors with those specs are using the same panel -

http://www.panelook.com/M270HAN03.0_AUO ... 39933.html

This might've been an obvious thing to some, but it's something I hadn't personally come across as plainly stated anywhere yet.

The reason I think this ends up being at least a little interesting is some specs from monitors that share the panel are likely to carry over, such as contrast ratio, and tft central reports that the XV273 X had just over a 1000:1 contrast ratio after calibration, which is within the advertised specs. The response time without overdrive is probably identical too.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/ac ... xv273x.htm

Which is a good thing to be aware of I think, considering the LG 27GL850 had fantastic response time for an IPS panel, but disappointing contrast ratio performance - much lower than average. I think nearly everything else about the panel will likely be down to how Viewsonic chooses to drive it compared to Acer, which will lead to differences in out of the box color accuracy, actual pixel response times in various overdrive modes, etc.. The most notable and obvious difference is that the Acer monitor is not tuned by the Chief and will not have the "PureXP" mode that makes the viewsonic one so interesting.

Anyway, in the absence of an actual review, I figured some thoughts and comparisons to another monitor which seems to be using the same panel might be interesting. I'd still like to know more about the response times and overshoot performance without PureXP mode on, for example. Assuming that we get enough votes over at RTings, it's probably still going to be a few months before we see any sort of comprehensive breakdown on this monitor.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/suggestions

Lifestop

Post by Lifestop » 25 Dec 2019, 16:56

Any chance there will be a 1440p version of this next year?