Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Mar 2020, 13:31

Ansive wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 14:22
Good to know my unit isn't faulty or misconfigured.
I guess the technology is still quite limited. I was hoping for no crosstalk at all across the screen.
Make sure you're not confusing strobe crosstalk with half-framerate double images.

You want VSYNC ON framerate=Hz to eliminate frame-repeat issues.

And to reduce VSYNC ON latency, you can use other tricks such as RTSS Scanline Sync and/or Low-Lag VSYNC ON HOWTO.

This one is not crosstalk, impulse-based image doubling should not be confused with crosstalk.

To eliminate low-framerate image doubling effects on strobed displays -- always run fps=Hz. The triple sync, framerate = refreshrate = stroberate, is what you need for best motion results with a strobe backlight. Once you've done this, any duplicates left over is strobe crosstalk.
Ansive wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 14:22
Do CRT monitors also have crosstalk
No, they don't.
However, they are prone to impulse-based image doubling from low frame rates.

Excuding contributions by strobe crosstalk, the effect is identical on both strobed displays and CRTs. 50fps at 100Hz will always have double images on them.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 01 Mar 2020, 14:48

I think:

1) Uncapped FPS, 100Hz, VSync On, Nvidia Adaptive VSync On (that activate VSync Off when framerate is lower than refreshrate), DoubleBuffer On (NV Inspector Prerended frames 1)

has the same low input lag that,

2) 100Hz, VSync Off, RTSS framerate cap 100 FPS

I deduce this because both, VSync On DoubleBuffer and VSync Off, use the same DoubleBuffer rendering, so i do not see any input-lag differences. I'm wrong ?

I chose allways the first method, to avoid tearing with best rebiability, due that both CRT and LCD, i've read info that say Vertical Frequency unfortunately is not 100% fixed, flat and rock solid sustained, there are small fluctuations :!:

So, is not possible to perfect sync FPS with Hz if a RTSS fixed framerate cap is used with a fluctuated V frequency. Random artifacts appears. Is better VSync On that take in account VFreq small fluctuations, and framerate and refreshrate are the same value, fluctuates, but allways both at same value, continuous perfect sync.

Ansive

Post by Ansive » 01 Mar 2020, 14:53

@Chief Blur Buster
Yes, I was testing with HZ=FPS.

Should I try a custom resolution with higher Vertical Total for even less PureXP crosstalk?
Does the monitor support it?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Mar 2020, 15:55

AddictFPS wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 14:48
I think:

1) Uncapped FPS, 100Hz, VSync On, Nvidia Adaptive VSync On (that activate VSync Off when framerate is lower than refreshrate), DoubleBuffer On (NV Inspector Prerended frames 1)

has the same low input lag that,

2) 100Hz, VSync Off, RTSS framerate cap 100 FPS
Not necessarily -- Not equal.

Offtopic alert: This lag topic applies to all monitors, and is not an XG270 related or PureXP related topic.

For a longer explanation, post this in a separate thread. I'd be happy to expand this topic for you, and link to other topics. Also, input lag is more complex than a single number. Different pixel rows can have different input lag each! And there are input-lag-gradient differences (TOP = CENTER = BOTTOM versus TOP > CENTER > BOTTOM versus TOP < CENTER < BOTTOM .... the latency graident along the vertical axis of the display can change -- and even invert direction -- with different sync settings interacting with different strobe enable/disable state!). I've written many threads about it, and "speculation questions" and "offtopic questions" will be moved to appropriate threads. Keep speculation to different threads -- because readers may get misinformed by speculation. Just prefer speculation be avoided in this specific particular thread. Some of these things have already been tested by other users and reviewers in different threads too. This is the XG270 real information thread -- nor the non-XG270 speculation thread. Appreciated.
Ansive wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 14:53
Should I try a custom resolution with higher Vertical Total for even less PureXP crosstalk?
Does the monitor support it?
See Vertical Total Tweaks Are Mostly Unnecessary On XG270.

The monitor is already automatically using large VBIs insternally in the scaler (internal scanrate conversion to fastest scanout velocity for the longest intervals between scanouts -- www.blurbusters.com/scanout for explanation what I mean about "scanouts").

Note: A different purpose of Large VTs is input lag reduction of VSYNC ON and/or strobing. Large VTs, will slightly reduce input latency of PureXP via the Quick Frame Transport effect (up to an approximate 4ms reduction, by delivering 120Hz refresh cycles in 1/240sec instead of 1/120sec). Easiest to do so at 120Hz, because you can use double VT at half refresh rate.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

qgshadow

Post by qgshadow » 03 Mar 2020, 23:31

Any update or ETA on new Firmware?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Mar 2020, 17:28

qgshadow wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 23:31
Any update or ETA on new Firmware?
Read this post. Don't hold me to the date, though. Lots of monitor manufacturers are delayed on everything because of COVID-19 (coronavirus) and disruptions to factories. But it IS coming, the new monitor manual PDF already has information that only applies to the new firmware!

ELK

Post by ELK » 10 Mar 2020, 12:41

This is really odd. Maybe I'm confused what color range is. I thought color range was limited to 16~235 instead of 0-255 for screens that have troubles ( like no contrast) when showing dark or light scenes.

When set to auto(default) I get the same imagine as limited.
When I set it to limited I get deeper blacks and brighter whites and can tell 254 from 255 & 0 from 1.
When I set it to full I get washed out blacks and dimmer whites and can tell 254 from 255 & 0 from 1.

Am I confused what color range is or is the option full actually limited and the option limited actually full?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Mar 2020, 13:00

ELK wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 12:41
When I set it to full I get washed out blacks and dimmer whites and can tell 254 from 255 & 0 from 1.
I think that is because of 10-bit color processing (8-bit plus FRC)

Configure your GPU to 8-bit instead of 10-bit and you'll see it behave like normal 16-235.

Doing 16-235 on a 10-bit panel is more like "64-940" on a color range "0-1023", because you have 1024 shades per subpixel on a 10-bit panel (whether true 10-bit, or via 8-bit plus FRC, whether the FRC is done via monitor or via GPU -- temporal dithering).

In other words, you're still getting all 256 colors in Limited, thanks to 10-bit processing.

ELK

Post by ELK » 10 Mar 2020, 13:21

When I updated my graphics drivers it set my color settings to default. I can produce the same results of my previous post if I set the color range to limited in the NVCP. If I set the color range to full in NVCP I get the expected results with the monitor options.

The problem was my nvidia settings.

I thought the extra 2 bits on 10bit were used for backlight dimming. I knew about 6+2 FRC. Are you sure this panel is 8+2? Are there even any video games using 10bit yet? As far as I'm aware 10bit is only used for photo editting and what not.

ELK

Post by ELK » 10 Mar 2020, 13:46

What does "OverClocking" do in the monitor options? Using CRU I see that every (front porch, sync width, back porch/blanking/total, and polarity are all the same except the refresh rate is 240.763 vs 239.760. The 144hz and 60hz modes are identical with overclocking on or off.