Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
LordGurciullo

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by LordGurciullo » 13 Jun 2020, 17:51

Alright guys I'm a little confused I must say.

I'm sitting here iwth the xl2546 running it at 240 with dyac and put the crosstalk below the crosshair and its pretty great....

Maybe Chief you can help here....

Do I want to get this or the xl2746S ....
If I do the custom 182hz with this I get a cleaner smoother picture with a little less input lag but how different would that be from this viewsonic elite?

AnalogueInterface

Post by AnalogueInterface » 14 Jun 2020, 06:04

Kryptik wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 20:20

Like many others I've been looking for a CRT like monitor for a long time. I started to hear about this monitor recently and how people compare it to CRTs. To me that's important because I do digital art and play fps games like quake so having a monitor with accurate colors, motion clarity and very low input lag is what I'm looking for.
Well, congrats on finding this monitor. It's great from my perspective. I've been using it for about a month, and I have to say the motion clarity on this display is as close to my Gateway VX720 as I've ever seen.
Kryptik wrote:
First of all why has this monitor specifically been compared to CRT monitors like the FW900. What advantages does it have over other 240HZ IPS monitors when it comes to motion clarity.
Whilst I can't speak for other monitors, BlurBusters' reputation precedes them. Their official recommendation pushed me to purchase this, and I don't regret it. CRT-like without the bulk (and weight!) is a good way to describe it. For the month I've been using the XG270, I have to say that it's about as close as I can get in LCD form to my Gateway VX720, a CRT Diamondtron Monitor that could push 120Hz at 768p, or 75Hz at 1600x1200.

As for the reason it's being compared to the FW900, it's twofold. One is because of the FW900's more accommodating 16:10 aspect ratio versus the more commonly found 4:3 in that era of CRT monitors, making it quite usable where 16:9 is ubiquitous in modern-day gaming and video (albeit the latter is changing with more ultrawide content). The XG270 competes head to head with it in aspect ratio there with a 16:9 ratio. The other reason is because the FW900 is considered by many to be the last great CRT, a swansong to CRTs before their manufacture and adoption declined, and along with it motion clarity on the PC for quite a while.

As for motion clarity, it's awesome. When I first used the monitor, I wasn't really blown away. But then I turned on PureXP to see how it would look with the motion blur reduction, and I was astounded as to how clear it was. The UFO here went from a semi-perceivable blur to nearly as clear as a moving photo in real life.
Kryptik wrote:
I've posted in the other thread about the 240hz IPS monitors tier list where RLCScontender has concluded that the MSI MAG251RX and Asus VG259QM were the best 240HZ IPS monitors available. I'm curious to know how the Viewsonic XG270 compares to them and what advantages does it have over them if any. I'm still interested in it and would like to know more about it.
Again, can't answer on my own. Other review sites have indicated that ViewSonic's implementation of motion blur reduction/backlight strobing (aka PureXP) has near perfect timing. I can attest that my other monitor, a 144Hz monitor, also has backlight strobing but with absolute terrible timing. It makes the biggest difference possible.
Kryptik wrote:
Also i keep reading that to get that CRT like motion clarity this monitor should be used at 100-120HZ. Why is that and what about using it at higher refresh rates like 240HZ? For example what would be the best way to use it for a game like quake live to get that CRT like feeling?

Also what about using it at lower resolutions but with higher refresh rates like 240hz, would that make a difference or will it still have some issues?..when using CRTs I'm used to use lower resolution because that's the only way to get higher refresh rates.
I believe in the forums from reading that crosstalk (information from previous images leftover) is kept at a minimum in the 90-130Hz range, although best around 100-120Hz.

So with any LCD there's a time where the image is drawn down on the screen, and the trick to getting rid of LCD motion blur is to hide the change, and then display the fully drawn image. The best way to do that is keeping the screen dark for as long as possible while the change is happening, and simultaneously speed up the screen changing as fast as possible while it's dark. The screen has a longer time to stay dark at 120Hz than at 240Hz, and the screen pixels can still change as fast thanks to their "acceleration" since they were designed for higher "speeds".

For Quake Live, there is a 224Hz "hack" (not really a hack though) which improves framerate and lowers input lag, but that requires some tinkering and tweaking beyond just changing the refresh rate in Windows Display Settings. Otherwise, the preset refresh rates are pretty good about delivering great clarity and decent lag.

You also don't need to lower your resolution to get high refresh rates on this monitor. It's designed for 1080p at 240Hz. (Older CRTs had to drop the resolution due to limited video bandwidth, since they didn't have enough space to send the signal and the CRT couldn't draw fast enough.) You can play lower resolutions, but playing at native resolution is your best bet. As Digital Foundry has noted time and again, the improper scaling caused by resolution mismatch (i.e. playing at 720p on a 1080p monitor) is often the biggest contributor to perceived fuzziness of graphics on modern displays.
Kryptik wrote:
Another question, you mentioned earlier in this thread that you are not aware if Viewsonic is going to release a 24 version. Has this changed and are they planning to?

Sorry my technical knowledge about monitors and how they work is a bit limited so hopefully you can explain in simpler terms..thanks
That would be a question for ViewSonic and Chief Blur Buster themselves.

Overall though, this monitor is amazing. So amazing in fact that I'll have to upgrade my rig in order to push a stable 120fps at 1080p in modern games since my rig is a bit unconventional at the moment. I'm pretty CPU bound so that hampers my ability to get the 120Hz in most games, but the great thing is the PureXP (ie backlight strobing) is unlocked from 75Hz to 240Hz, so it's quite adaptable to many use cases.

Apologies for this quite long first post here! Hopefully this helps clear up your questions as much as possible! :)

Kryptik

Post by Kryptik » 14 Jun 2020, 11:24

AnalogueInterface wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 06:04

I believe in the forums from reading that crosstalk (information from previous images leftover) is kept at a minimum in the 90-130Hz range, although best around 100-120Hz.

So with any LCD there's a time where the image is drawn down on the screen, and the trick to getting rid of LCD motion blur is to hide the change, and then display the fully drawn image. The best way to do that is keeping the screen dark for as long as possible while the change is happening, and simultaneously speed up the screen changing as fast as possible while it's dark. The screen has a longer time to stay dark at 120Hz than at 240Hz, and the screen pixels can still change as fast thanks to their "acceleration" since they were designed for higher "speeds".

For Quake Live, there is a 224Hz "hack" (not really a hack though) which improves framerate and lowers input lag, but that requires some tinkering and tweaking beyond just changing the refresh rate in Windows Display Settings. Otherwise, the preset refresh rates are pretty good about delivering great clarity and decent lag.

You also don't need to lower your resolution to get high refresh rates on this monitor. It's designed for 1080p at 240Hz. (Older CRTs had to drop the resolution due to limited video bandwidth, since they didn't have enough space to send the signal and the CRT couldn't draw fast enough.) You can play lower resolutions, but playing at native resolution is your best bet. As Digital Foundry has noted time and again, the improper scaling caused by resolution mismatch (i.e. playing at 720p on a 1080p monitor) is often the biggest contributor to perceived fuzziness of graphics on modern displays.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. It's good to hear that you're happy with it. I decided to go with the VG259QM and just ordered it yesterday. It's also a highly recommended 240hz IPS monitor but it's 24 inch and much better priced. It was a tie between the XG270 and that monitor for me but because the Asus is a lot cheaper I figured I will take the risk with it and see how I like it since this is going to be my first 240hz IPS monitor. If i'm not happy with it it will be easier to sell later on because it's in high demand. Hopefully in the next year or so more monitors will come out and it will be more clear as to what are the best "CRT like" monitors out there. I would still be interested to see if Viewsonic makes a 24 version with some improvements.

About the motion clarity on this monitor. So you're saying that you can use it at higher refresh rates like 224hz and still get that CRT motion clarity?..but it's best at 100-120hz?

And yea I know you don't have to lower the resolution to get 240hz. I meant that if it was only possible to get the CRT motion clarity at 100-120hz then would it make a difference if you lowered the resolution. So I guess my question is would the motion clarity at 240hz be any better at a lower resolution? but i guess that's not the case.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain and answer my questions. It was very helpful :)

KissyKissy

Post by KissyKissy » 14 Jun 2020, 17:47

donnie wrote:
13 May 2020, 07:52
This monitor is absolutely fantastic. Here are my suggestions for three different cases:

FPS games (COD MW, Apex, CS:GO):

CRU custom resolution with 224hz, G-Sync ON + OD Fastest + NULL on + 220 fps limit via in game or RTTS for games like cod\apex
So I have a question regarding this "Gsync ON" config vs PureXP enabled.

On my setup, I can run Warzone at a pretty stable 120 fps. Would the above config still have any advantages over a pureXP config at 120hz/120fps cap? From what I understand, a purexp setup would drastically reduce blur effect at the cost of a little bit of input lag. having a gsync on config at 224hz/220fps wouldn't give me much of an advantage because I can't run this game close to those fps numbers.

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something.

AnalogueInterface

Post by AnalogueInterface » 14 Jun 2020, 18:52

Kryptik wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 11:24

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. It's good to hear that you're happy with it. I decided to go with the VG259QM and just ordered it yesterday. It's also a highly recommended 240hz IPS monitor but it's 24 inch and much better priced. It was a tie between the XG270 and that monitor for me but because the Asus is a lot cheaper I figured I will take the risk with it and see how I like it since this is going to be my first 240hz IPS monitor. If i'm not happy with it it will be easier to sell later on because it's in high demand. Hopefully in the next year or so more monitors will come out and it will be more clear as to what are the best "CRT like" monitors out there. I would still be interested to see if Viewsonic makes a 24 version with some improvements.

About the motion clarity on this monitor. So you're saying that you can use it at higher refresh rates like 224hz and still get that CRT motion clarity?..but it's best at 100-120hz?

And yea I know you don't have to lower the resolution to get 240hz. I meant that if it was only possible to get the CRT motion clarity at 100-120hz then would it make a difference if you lowered the resolution. So I guess my question is would the motion clarity at 240hz be any better at a lower resolution? but i guess that's not the case.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain and answer my questions. It was very helpful :)
Congrats on your new purchase! I hope you enjoy it! :) Going to a higher refresh rate will give you less motion blur and input lag, and Asus is a quality brand. And I agree, I'm looking forward to when we get even better improvements in the years to come with a wide variety of LCDs approaching CRT-like clarity with this BlurBusters Approved program.

And yes, you can get good motion clarity at 224Hz with PureXP (backlight strobing) on, but it approaches CRT-like quality at 100-120Hz. The main advantage of 224Hz is the lower input lag with enough headroom that the pixels can still switch fast enough between images. At the higher refresh rates like 224Hz/240Hz, the pixels don't get as much time to change when the screen is dark, which hampers the motion clarity (but it's still pretty good.)

Interestingly, there is a "ViewScale" option in the menus, offering different aspect ratios and screen sizes, allowing the user to chose from 19" to 24" images on the 27" monitor, but these use less pixels (so lower resolution) on screen and create the same image scaling problem unless you calculate the custom resolution it's displaying (e.g. using the 24" ViewScale mode would need a resolution of approximately ~1706x960 to avoid scaling issues, and 21.5" would need ~1525x856). These modes would avoid crosstalk at the top and bottom of the screen, but they would NOT make change the motion clarity at 224Hz/240Hz.

PS Went on a little bit of a math tangent using PPI and screen size calcs to approximate resolutions of these smaller displays ViewScale creates. They might not be exactly right but a good start for others who want the "perfect" image without crosstalk at the top and bottom; for those who want to do this, multiply the 81.59PPI by the width and height of the screen size, so for a 24" ViewScale image, it would be (20.92in)(81.59 pixels/in)= 1706.86 px, and (11.77in)(81.59 px/in)= 960.31 px, creating a ~1706x960 image on screen. A good place to find the width and height of the displays is here

donnie

Post by donnie » 15 Jun 2020, 02:12

KissyKissy wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 17:47
donnie wrote:
This monitor is absolutely fantastic. Here are my suggestions for three different cases:

CRU custom resolution with 224hz, G-Sync ON + OD Fastest + NULL on + 220 fps limit via in game or RTTS for games like cod\apex

On my setup, I can run Warzone at a pretty stable 120 fps. Would the above config still have any advantages over a pureXP config at 120hz/120fps cap? From what I understand, a purexp setup would drastically reduce blur effect at the cost of a little bit of input lag. having a gsync on config at 224hz/220fps wouldn't give me much of an advantage because I can't run this game close to those fps numbers.

It depends what you like. I tried Warzone with 120fps + PureXP on and didn't rlly like it that much. I play warzone with G-Sync on and OD Fastest and RTTS cap with -4 fps.

Atm I am playing with 240hz and 236fps lock (in multiplayer and Warzone). IT feels pretty smooth, since G-Sync fixes the fps dips.

niros

Post by niros » 15 Jun 2020, 11:17

guys which settings are best for Valorant?
cant really use gsync yet! but i ordered a new pc already(waiting for cpu/mobo to arrive) so when i get my new pc ready i'll be able to utilize Gsync

but i still want to know the best settings for Valorant! it's important :)!

Kryptik

Post by Kryptik » 15 Jun 2020, 12:58

AnalogueInterface wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 18:52

Congrats on your new purchase! I hope you enjoy it! :) Going to a higher refresh rate will give you less motion blur and input lag, and Asus is a quality brand. And I agree, I'm looking forward to when we get even better improvements in the years to come with a wide variety of LCDs approaching CRT-like clarity with this BlurBusters Approved program.

And yes, you can get good motion clarity at 224Hz with PureXP (backlight strobing) on, but it approaches CRT-like quality at 100-120Hz. The main advantage of 224Hz is the lower input lag with enough headroom that the pixels can still switch fast enough between images. At the higher refresh rates like 224Hz/240Hz, the pixels don't get as much time to change when the screen is dark, which hampers the motion clarity (but it's still pretty good.)
Thanks, yea I'm looking forward to try my first 240hz IPS monitor. That's good to hear that the Viewsonic still performs well at higher refresh rates. I wish I can actually test them all to see for myself how they perform then decide. I don't have the resources for that though but I tend to sell and upgrade every once in a while. If I don't like the Asus for some reason and Viewsonic makes a 24 version it will most likely be the next monitor I will try. I had the 144hz XG2401 before and just sold it recently. It was the best 144hz monitor I owned that I kept for a while. Viewsonic build quality and performance is pretty good. Asus is good as well. I'm using the Asus PA248 IPS at the moment but it's only 60hz and isn't good for gaming. Hopefully the new one will replace both.

zaguama

Post by zaguama » 16 Jun 2020, 11:29

donnie wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 02:12
KissyKissy wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 17:47
donnie wrote:

It depends what you like. I tried Warzone with 120fps + PureXP on and didn't rlly like it that much. I play warzone with G-Sync on and OD Fastest and RTTS cap with -4 fps.

Atm I am playing with 240hz and 236fps lock (in multiplayer and Warzone). IT feels pretty smooth, since G-Sync fixes the fps dips.
I was having an issue playing warzone with gsync on, during the initial transition from the regular view to ADS on some sniper scopes i would get stutters making the snipers unusable, after playing at 240hz with gsync off i dont get any stutters, i have a 1080ti and get an average of 150-160 fps in battle royal.

donnie

Post by donnie » 16 Jun 2020, 16:36

I am having the exact same gpu and no issues with G-Sync and snipers.