Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
TheMadMan697

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by TheMadMan697 » 27 May 2020, 16:57

donnie wrote:
27 May 2020, 14:16
If you want to find the firmware version refer to this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6850&p=51640#p51640

TheMadMan697 wrote:
27 May 2020, 11:02
I found something interesting about this issue with Full Color Control. It does not happen for me if I use the custom resolution (224Hz) that I created in CRU but if I select any other refresh rate in NVIDIA control panel it goes all wonky unless I lower the OD.

How do you check the firmware version? I was looking for this when I got my monitor a few weeks ago. It came with the different Options for PureXP that were added but there was still a firmware update and I don't know what actually changed in the firmware update that I installed. (My monitor date of manufacture was 12-02-2020)
I made the custom resolution in CRU with 224hz and the issue still happens to me even if I use that one. Can you post your CRU settings for that custom resolution? Maybe a screenshot where you created it and how it looks in NVCP
This is my setup on CRU. I don't really know what the timings do, I think I left all default which is the same as Automatic - LCD Native.

donnie

Post by donnie » 27 May 2020, 17:18

Can you make a screenshot of how the https://www.testufo.com/crosstalk and make sure you got full color control on? It's so weird that it would work for you and not for me on same settings.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2020, 17:29

donnie wrote:
27 May 2020, 17:18
Can you make a screenshot of how the https://www.testufo.com/crosstalk and make sure you got full color control on? It's so weird that it would work for you and not for me on same settings.
Just to clarify,

I think you meant a "photo", not a "screenshot".
-- Screenshots are done via PrintScreen and will not capture overdrive artifacts.
-- You need a physical camera to capture overdrive artifacts
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

donnie

Post by donnie » 27 May 2020, 17:57

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 May 2020, 17:29
donnie wrote:
27 May 2020, 17:18
Just to clarify,

I think you meant a "photo", not a "screenshot".
-- Screenshots are done via PrintScreen and will not capture overdrive artifacts.
-- You need a physical camera to capture overdrive artifacts
Yes sorry, a photo you're right.

EDIT:

Just found out that using LCD Native when making resolution actually fixed the Full color control as the user above me figured out. Chief using LCD Standard timings actually breaks it in OD Fastest. I guess all the NVCP default resolutions are using standard timings. Maybe now we can pin point the issue?

Anybody maybe has a tip for good timings for 224hz for lowest input lag?

TheMadMan697

Post by TheMadMan697 » 27 May 2020, 18:39

Just discovered that Adaptive Sync effects it too because with Fastest OD Full Color Control at 224 Hz Adaptive Sync off is fine but when adaptive sync is enabled at 224 Hz it looks all wonky too.

Sorry if my images are very poor.

Here is 224 Hz (Full Color Control w Fastest OD & Adaptive Sync Off)

Here is 240 Hz (Full Color Control w Fastest OD & Adaptive Sync Off)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2020, 18:48

donnie wrote:
27 May 2020, 17:57
EDIT:

Just found out that using LCD Native when making resolution actually fixed the Full color control as the user above me figured out. Chief using LCD Standard timings actually breaks it in OD Fastest. I guess all the NVCP default resolutions are using standard timings. Maybe now we can pin point the issue?

Thanks for additional detail. So 224Hz behaviour changes dramatically based on the timings (LCD Native versus LCD Standard formula for Custom Resolution Utility). This may be why some of us didn't see it and others saw it -- because different people are creating 224Hz slightly differently. Also behaviour may change if you turn ON versus OFF the Overclock setting.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TheMadMan697

Post by TheMadMan697 » 27 May 2020, 19:09

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 May 2020, 18:48
Thanks for additional detail. So 224Hz behaviour changes dramatically based on the timings (LCD Native versus LCD Standard formula for Custom Resolution Utility). This may be why some of us didn't see it and others saw it -- because different people are creating 224Hz slightly differently. Also behaviour may change if you turn ON versus OFF the Overclock setting.
Which of the two, native or standard timings is the better setting to use when making the resolution?

My overclock setting was disabled with the images above. I'm not at my PC to double check right now but I did try enabling it and I don't think it made a difference for me.

donnie

Post by donnie » 28 May 2020, 01:33

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 May 2020, 18:48
donnie wrote:
27 May 2020, 17:57
EDIT:

The main problem however is, that this issue happens with all refresh rate settings\resolutions if they are not specifically created in CRU with native 60hz timings.. So if you're not using CRU and just using default NVCP resolutions you're going to be affected by this issue. Imho this shouldn't be the case and calls for a fix.

niros

Post by niros » 30 May 2020, 05:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
26 May 2020, 19:35
donnie wrote:
24 May 2020, 12:16
You don't want to use PureXP at 240hz, ideal is 120hz and you want to use PureXP for MOBA games like LoL\Dota2.
While I recommend PureXP for 120Hz for best tradeoffs...

There are still benefits to PureXP at 224Hz and 240Hz, it's a matter of user preference. 224Hz looks much better than 240Hz, while 120Hz looks better than 240Hz for PureXP strobe crosstalk. This is useful if you prefer to use PureXP as an aim stabilizer (like DyAc) with uncapped CS:GO 300fps VSYNC OFF. In this situation, it can be more favourable to use PureXP at 224Hz or 240Hz, to reduce strobe lag.

Now, 120Hz PureXP+ has far less strobe crosstalk, can look like perfect CRT clarity during scrolling / panning / turning when you have framerate=Hz. This is better if your goal is panning-motion-clarity benefits (ala Sony GDM-FW900 CRT-like motion clarity) more than quicker aim-stabilizing benefits (ala DyAc). And framerate=Hz is easier at 120Hz than 240Hz, given the amplified double-images of strobed 120fps@240Hz (like CRT 30fps@60Hz).

Strobe crosstalk is simply a law of physics issue of LCD GtG pixel response -- the refresh rate headroom needed to hide LCD GtG in total darkness (unseen by eyes) between refresh cycles in order to reduce strobe crosstalk -- NVIDIA strobe-locks the ULMB refresh rate to prevent quality complaints -- while ViewSonic gives user the choice of crosstalk-versus-refresh tradeoff.
donnie wrote:
23 May 2020, 04:10
Full control:
https://ibb.co/9YZYXCs

So the only thing I am changing is the color temperature..The full control doesn't add this ghosting stuff in OD Ultra Fast. Feels like it shouldn't do such drastic thing also in fastest, can you check this with viewsonic?
1. Did you a firmware upgrade?
2. Did you do a "Memory Recall" after firmware upgrade?

I'm trying to reproduce this specific problem, you may have to contact me at mark [at] blurbusters.com with photos of all your menu screens, so I can duplicate all your picture settings (one by one) since this might be picture-settings specific. Then I can properly report this bug to ViewSonic for them to address in future firmwares.
When you say 224hz purexp with vsync off and uncapped fps - is still better even if you cant match fps/hz?

also- do you think we'll see a frimware upgrade in the future that allow purexp to work without changing the brightness? or its a hardware thingy that cant be changed by frimware?

secretwar66

Post by secretwar66 » 30 May 2020, 13:14

Has anyone used the on screen crosshair available in settings? Mine seems to time out after a random period and then come back occasionally. I tried adjusting the timeout for the menus overall but it didn’t seem to have an effect.