Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
RossianSpy

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by RossianSpy » 20 Apr 2020, 14:43

Hi, I'm new here. I decided to join after I read this whole forum on this monitor and had a few questions.
How big is the lag difference between 120hz PureXP vsync ON, nvidia low latency mode vs 224hz gsync ON 221 frame cap trick?

"Optional: If you're daring, you might want to try the custom 120Hz Quick Frame Transport mode with RTSS Scanline Sync, to have 12ms less 120Hz latency than the default 120Hz PureXP+ VSYNC ON mode. But it's almost a Ph.D-league complicated tweak. You've been warned. ;)"

What are the consequences of doing this tweak if you do something wrong? Can the same tweak be applied to the 224hz PureXp mode to further reduce lag? Also, for someone that has never done this tweak what would you recommend reading besides the guide posted in this forum before attempting the tweak?
Thank you!

qgshadow

Post by qgshadow » 20 Apr 2020, 15:13

Anybody know if GSync can work over HDMI?

I use my monitor connected to my laptop via HDMI but Nvidia panel doesnt see the monitor as gsync compatible?

I mainly play fast pace shooters and want to use pure xp off, overdrive max , 224hz and gsync on.

Ansive

Post by Ansive » 20 Apr 2020, 15:47

When I swapped display port with HDMI, the refresh rate got limited to 120hz max (instead of 240), and gsync menu disappeared in the control panel. Games with lower than 120fps started to stutter.
Maybe it's different with AMD cards.

PureXp still works.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Apr 2020, 17:47

RossianSpy wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 14:43
What are the consequences of doing this tweak if you do something wrong?
More lag instead of less lag, if tweak is applied incorrectly.

The problem is you won't be able to reduce lag if you don't understand how it reduces lag. It requires an understanding of the display scanout, as seen in high speed videos of a display refreshing.

It won't break the display. It's a very fiddly almost-programming-league tweak. The kind of a tweak, where misapplied, doesn't work or fails to apply -- and the mode has same lag or worse lag (or other side effects such as stutter) than before until you uninstall the custom resolution from Windows.

Again, by default, PureXP is an easy mode.
RossianSpy wrote:
Can the same tweak be applied to the 224hz PureXp mode to further reduce lag?
No. Not enough refreshrate headroom to transfer over to dotclock acceleration. Quick Frame Transport (QFT) is better for lower Hz modes - e.g. double speed delivery of half-Hz, or quadruple-speed delivery of quarter-Hz.

It's important to understand the Blur Busters scanout charts before attempting any homebrew QFT experimentation.

In theory, it is similar lag as framerate-capped VRR, which is much lower latency than fixed-Hz. But since PureXP is a fixed-Hz technology, that's where QFT can come in to help reduce strobe lag.
RossianSpy wrote:
Also, for someone that has never done this tweak what would you recommend reading besides the guide posted in this forum before attempting the tweak?
There is no single guide. For questions about creating QFT modes, as I am going to be removing complex QFT posts away from this thread to a separate hardcore tweaking thread.

<Advanced>
TL;DR: Prerequisite study: Understand the scanout, understand what each number inside a CRU does, understand how QFT modifies the scanout, understand what RTSS is, and understand what RTSS Scanline Sync is. Then only then you are ready to attempt to become a Tearline Jedi to move a stationary-tearline to the end of an embiggened VBI to create a QFT mode.
</Advanced>

PureXP is by default an easy mode that you turn on/off. It has less lag than old LightBoost modes even without any of the above tricks.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Anthony3187

Post by Anthony3187 » 21 Apr 2020, 07:25

Just wondering how was the 224hz sweet spot discovered? And is it noticeably better than 225 or 230hz? (All of mine are on 10 bit mode) Will definitely try 224hz this evening to see if I can tell a difference using 224hz over the other two.

Kosti

Post by Kosti » 21 Apr 2020, 10:56

Hi @all!

I just bought the Viewsonic XG270 out of enthusiasm after reading this whole thread. I have to say i'm a little bit disappointed and underwhelmed regarding PureXP. I thought the effect would be much bigger when reading about "crt-like performance". My hope is that i just have the settings wrong and be helped by you guys ;)

I tested CoD and Overwatch:
I was switching between two modes:

240 Hz
Adaptive sync ON
Vsync ON
PureXP OFF
matched the FPS ingame to set Hz

and

120 Hz
Adaptive Sync OFF
Vsync ON
PureXP ON
matched the FPS ingame to set Hz

The difference to me was very subtle in regards to motion blur. In both modes i perceive motion blur with the only difference that the motion blur with PureXP OFF was more smooth and stable (probably also because of Adaptive Sync ON) and the motion blur with PureXP ON was more "blocky". I wouldn't say that one was better than the other, just different, but none looked CLEARLY better to my eyes.
So this is why i'm a little bit disappointed to PureXP not "magically" making the big difference in clarity while shaking/moving the camera around ingame. I for example tried to focus on small details in textures on an object and moved the camera from left to right switching 1. and 2. modes described above and in both modes i could make out the same details on those objects.
Maybe PureXP would be more useful in games where i can't reach 240 fps so i could get a clearer image @120 Hz with PureXP ON... .

Is there a misunderstanding on my part? Are my settings wrong?

PS: In rtings review of the monitor they mention specific values for RGB they set after calibrating the monitor. I can't find these settings in the OSD. On my monitor the game mode is set to "standard" and the color temperature to "native". Where can i find them? Also, what are the best settings for sharpness and advanced DCR?

Ansive

Post by Ansive » 21 Apr 2020, 12:12

You didn't specify your framerate.
With PureXP ON do you get exactly 120 fps? Anything less and it will look very stuttery. Higher fps will also introduce tearing.

Easiest way to check if it's working is to look at the ground texture and strafe in one direction (with FPS=HZ). Ground texture and objects should be just as clear when you move as when you are stationary. If you do this test with PureXP OFF you will see all the textures get blurred/smudged, especially those close to you (normal LCD behavior).

Testing with the mouse is more difficult as you need to keep a smooth motion and have a high polling rate mouse (so that the cursor location doesn't skip).

Kosti

Post by Kosti » 21 Apr 2020, 13:36

Thanks for the answer, Ansive.
I tried to specify the framerate in point 1. and 2. ("matched the FPS ingame to set Hz"). Even when limiting the framerate ingame (OW and CoD support this) it sometimes jumps from 119-121. I don't know if these small inconsistencies in framerate are responsible for the tearing i'm seeing with PureXP and i somewhere read that you could force games to be more precise with their framerate with RiverTuner (?).
The tearing is not the biggest problem though. It's interesting that you mentioned testing PureXP while strafing with a fixed camera. Strafing with a foxed camera and standing still and moving the camera are two separate things to black frame insertion, no? Can PureXP only "fix" the parts in games with first person view where your cursor stands still and not the parts where you are running around a corner and quickly turn with the mouse in a "competitive" shooter?
Because if that's the case, i maybe misunderstand what PureXP does in the first place.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Apr 2020, 13:57

Kosti wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 13:36
It's interesting that you mentioned testing PureXP while strafing with a fixed camera.
This can only simulate fixed-eye-gaze on moving objects, or can be useful for strobe crosstalk analysis (GtG that overlaps refresh cycles) because stationary photos still help with strobe crosstalk analysis as long as the photograph captured only one strobe flash.

(Pursuit camera tests for WYSIWYG tracking-based motion blur, ideally requires stacked exposures of multiple refresh cycles to more accurately represent human vision averaging behaviors -- that's why the tickmarks are optimized for a camera exposure that captures 4 refresh cycles in a row)

In the real world, strobed modes does not reduce motion blur of fixed eye-gaze (fixed camera gaze), it only reduces eye-tracking-based motion blurring. This is why many professional CS:GO players who stare only fixed-gaze at crosshairs all the time, don't always use motion blur reduction, because fixed-eye-gaze is not helped. While for other scrolly / panny / turning (i.e. crosshairsless games like Rocket League or RTS or MOBA) the blur reduction helps more. So some pros use different settings for different games. Right Tool For The Right Job.

For more information, please see:

1. HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively
2. Stroboscopic Effect of Finite Refresh Rate Displays

If you eye-track the background instead of eye-track the crosshairs, you will instantly notice the benefits of PureXP. Identifying objects by directly eye-tracking them. But not all CS:GO players play in the same way. Some are trained as fixed-eye-gaze on crosshairs, while others do eye-track-all-over-place tactics. So strobing will affect different people differently -- depending on whether their gaming tactics involve stationary-gaze or eye-tracked gaze.

Also, not all games have a crosshairs, and thus will generate very different eye-tracking habits in different games.

It applies to all strobe-based motion blur reduction technologies for displays -- including PureXP+
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Apr 2020, 14:08

Kosti wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 10:56
My hope is that i just have the settings wrong and be helped by you guys ;)
Question:
1. Is your gaming mouse one of those new 10000dpi+ sensors? (Won't necessarily use max-DPI, but need modern sensor)
2. Do you have your mouse configured to 1000Hz at 1600dpi or 3200dpi+? 400dpi doesn't work well with blur reduction modes.
3. Is your mouse feet clean? High dpi demands cleaner mouse feet.
4. Is your mouse pad high-resolution? High dpi demands higher resolution mouse pads.
5. Are your gaming habits fixed-gaze-at-crosshairs-all-time, or tracking-eyes-all-over?

Blur-reduction modes amplifies microstuttering of all sources (including mouse). Raise DPI of mouse, and lower the in-game sensitivity. Mouse microstuttering can eliminate PureXP+ benefits, so make sure to optimize your mouse to be TestUFO-smooth first, based on HOWTO: Using ULMB Competitively or Beautifully. The lack of motion blur massively amplifies the visibility of microstuttering, which can eliminate motion blur reduction benefits.

Fixing mouse mcirostutters can be required to milk max benefits of PureXP (for eye-tracking situations)
For best performance of blur reduction mode, you require ultrahigh DPI with lowered in-game sensitivity. This is because slow mouse movements produce stepping effects that doesn't benefit from any blur reduction modes, and doesn't help the sweet spot 500-to-4000 (pixels/sec) motion. At only 400dpi, your 500 pixels/sec motion will granularize (stepping effects), and thus kill the PureXP+ blur reduction benefits. TestUFO is 960 pixels per second, and you won't get TestUFO smoothness from a 500dpi mouse turning at 960 pixels/second. Yes, I know esports use 400dpi sometimes for championships -- but that's for non-blur-reduction modes.

Also, PureXP sometimes has more visible benefits in crosshairsless games (RTS scrolling, like DOTA2 / LOL, or 3rd person view turning like Rocket League), but don't forget to fix your mouse microstutters weak link too. Blur reduction amplifies microstuttering.

Make sure to:
-- Make your mouse slowturns as smooth & stepless (no granularity) as keyboard strafe left/right first..
-- Otherwise, it's impossible to have TestUFO-smooth mouseturns.

After you fix the mouse, get familiar with PureXP levels:
PureXP Ultra = 1/10th of motion blur of PureXP OFF
PureXP Extreme - 2/10th of motion blur of PureXP OFF
PureXP Normal - 3/10th of motion blur of PureXP OFF
PureXP Light - 4/10th of motion blur of PureXP OFF

And if 120Hz is not good, try these modes too:
- 144Hz PureXP
- 224Hz PureXP (create via NVIDIA Control Panel or AMD CCC)
- 224Hz non-PureXP (create via NVIDIA Control Panel or AMD CCC. Then set monitor to maximum overdrive, it doesn't overshoot at 224Hz)