Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Sep 2020, 16:27

allocater wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 05:50
But when I scroll a website the black text gets a white ghost. Can this be fixed?
Test-out the different color profiles -- if you're scrolling a white-background website, you can reduce this by using original color gamut (white being maximum-brightness white) and/or slightly reduced contrast (overdrive headroom below black + above white).
allocater wrote:
Here my full results:

240hz: 240fps UFO -> 1 UFO ghost (scrolling text has horizontal blur (no idea how this is even possible))
240hz: 120fps UFO -> 2 UFO ghosts
240hz: 60fps UFO -> 4 UFO ghosts

120hz: 120fps UFO -> perfect (scrolling text has 1 white ghost)
120hz: 60fps UFO -> 1 UFO ghosts
120hz: 30fps UFO -> 2 UFO ghosts
That's normal.

CRTs and plasmas had this behavior too, the familiar "30fps-at-60Hz" duplicate behavior applies to all refresh rates on impulsed displays.

For PureXP+ motion-quality priority, you want to adjust your refresh rate to match the framerate you want. 75Hz strobing for 75fps, 120Hz strobing for 120fps, etc.

If you tolerate the duplicate images (from framerate difficulty reaching Hz) combined with strobe crosstalk (increased at higher Hz), 224Hz and 240hz PureXP are the low-lag strobing options. Alternatively, a good latency compromise is 120Hz PureXP combined with RTSS Scanline Sync.

Current popular favourite modes on this monitor has generally been:
- 75 Hz and 100 Hz PureXP+ for low framerate games to do framerate=Hz (replicate CRT experience)
- 119Hz / 120 Hz PureXP+ for general purpose CRT-like motion blur reduction (replicate CRT experience)
- 224 Hz PureXP+ for lower lag strobing at slight increase of crosstalk
- 224 Hz non-PureXP+
- 240 Hz non-PureXP
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Sep 2020, 16:28

Smo wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 18:55
Hey Chief, still no dice on EDC launching - I've reached out to their support and after a month or so they've come to the conclusion that I need to re-install EDC with admin privileges... I've tried that. No Dice. Have you had any luck on your side?
All copies of EDC are all installing successfully on all of my computers, so I'm currently stumped, since a large number of firmware upgrades have executed just fine according to ViewSonic. Happy users don't generally post in forums, so this forum captures the one-off upgrade complaints. Currently, the ones who report EDC failures seem to be a smattering of one-off cases, which is what is making it hard for ViewSonic to debug this.

I think it may be an interaction between GPU, GPU drivers, OS version.

Fix for Elite Display Controller Unable To See/Upgrade Monitor

1. Make sure the USB cable is connected to the monitor.
2. I assume you have DDC/CI enabled in the Monitor Settings menus.
3. I assume you have executed a "Monitor Recall" in the Settings menus, it helped some of the people, although not all.
4. Have you briefly tested HDMI-to-HDMI instead of DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort, even at a lower refresh rate? Sometimes the DDC/CI works better in some graphics drivers, allowing you to execute a firmware upgrade. Once the firmware is upgraded, you can switch back to DisplayPort.
5. Have you tested different USB ports, including trying different USB ports directly on the back of the computer? Make sure the monitor appears correctly in Device Manager when you plug in the USB cable; it shows up as a USB hub.
6. You can also use a completely different computer too (e.g. NVIDIA vs AMD), just to finish the firmware upgrade.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

brownvim

Post by brownvim » 21 Sep 2020, 11:39

allocater wrote:
Hi, I bought the monitor and I set it to 120 hz and can see the 120 fps UFO clearly now!

But when I scroll a website the black text gets a white ghost. Can this be fixed?

Here my full results:

240hz: 240fps UFO -> 1 UFO ghost (scrolling text has horizontal blur (no idea how this is even possible))
240hz: 120fps UFO -> 2 UFO ghosts
240hz: 60fps UFO -> 4 UFO ghosts

120hz: 120fps UFO -> perfect (scrolling text has 1 white ghost)
120hz: 60fps UFO -> 1 UFO ghosts
120hz: 30fps UFO -> 2 UFO ghosts
You see the white trail less at 119hz, try it.

Smo

Post by Smo » 25 Sep 2020, 12:54

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 16:28
Smo wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 18:55
Hey Chief, still no dice on EDC launching - I've reached out to their support and after a month or so they've come to the conclusion that I need to re-install EDC with admin privileges... I've tried that. No Dice. Have you had any luck on your side?
All copies of EDC are all installing successfully on all of my computers, so I'm currently stumped, since a large number of firmware upgrades have executed just fine according to ViewSonic. Happy users don't generally post in forums, so this forum captures the one-off upgrade complaints. Currently, the ones who report EDC failures seem to be a smattering of one-off cases, which is what is making it hard for ViewSonic to debug this.

I think it may be an interaction between GPU, GPU drivers, OS version.

Fix for Elite Display Controller Unable To See/Upgrade Monitor

1. Make sure the USB cable is connected to the monitor.
2. I assume you have DDC/CI enabled in the Monitor Settings menus.
3. I assume you have executed a "Monitor Recall" in the Settings menus, it helped some of the people, although not all.
4. Have you briefly tested HDMI-to-HDMI instead of DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort, even at a lower refresh rate? Sometimes the DDC/CI works better in some graphics drivers, allowing you to execute a firmware upgrade. Once the firmware is upgraded, you can switch back to DisplayPort.
5. Have you tested different USB ports, including trying different USB ports directly on the back of the computer? Make sure the monitor appears correctly in Device Manager when you plug in the USB cable; it shows up as a USB hub.
6. You can also use a completely different computer too (e.g. NVIDIA vs AMD), just to finish the firmware upgrade.
Thanks Chief, I'll give these a try - going to try and plug this into a second computer when I can as well... I'll report back!

qgshadow

Post by qgshadow » 27 Sep 2020, 17:49

Anybody having issues with the Elite Display Controller software not even opening?

It does up in the taskbar then disapears and i get this error in the event viewer.

Faulting application name: EliteDisplayController.exe, version: 1.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x5eba43fa
Faulting module name: EliteDisplayController.exe, version: 1.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x5eba43fa
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00027093
Faulting process id: 0x433c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6951f5eeb84ca
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ViewSonic\Elite Display Controller\1.2.0.0\EliteDisplayController.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ViewSonic\Elite Display Controller\1.2.0.0\EliteDisplayController.exe

GammaLyrae

Post by GammaLyrae » 06 Oct 2020, 12:28

I ended up having to do a reset on my display configuration to fix an issue in Windows. This ended up removing my custom monitor settings that adjusted the freesync range to be 55-240hz. Within an hour, this reminded me that if you leave it at the default of 48-240hz, you get black screens if the refresh range actually dips to 54 or below. It seems very strange to me that this hasn't been fixed either in a firmware update or a new driver from Nvidia at this point.

If they are going to push another firmware for it to fix this bug (users shouldn't have to download third party software and change an obscure setting to use an advertised feature), it would be great if they let you use PureXP+ on 60hz sources like consoles.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Oct 2020, 15:52

GammaLyrae wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 12:28
I ended up having to do a reset on my display configuration to fix an issue in Windows. This ended up removing my custom monitor settings that adjusted the freesync range to be 55-240hz. Within an hour, this reminded me that if you leave it at the default of 48-240hz, you get black screens if the refresh range actually dips to 54 or below. It seems very strange to me that this hasn't been fixed either in a firmware update or a new driver from Nvidia at this point.

If they are going to push another firmware for it to fix this bug (users shouldn't have to download third party software and change an obscure setting to use an advertised feature), it would be great if they let you use PureXP+ on 60hz sources like consoles.
I'll have to reach out to NVIDIA to ask why this is happening. Since FreeSync came from AMD, and AMD appears to have more mature bottom-of-VRR-range handling for FreeSync than NVIDIA does due to NVIDIA's original focus on G-SYNC native.

(Thinking: Currently, the frametime difference of 1/48sec and 1/55sec is only 2.65 milliseconds so in theory timer jitter in NVIDIA drivers may cause refresh cycles to take long, since many monitors will automatically blank out when refreshtime exceeds tolerance parameters. It also may be the signal timings (VBI size, etc) that affects VRR range sensitivity as well)

Zealot

Post by Zealot » 13 Oct 2020, 11:10

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 15:52
(Thinking: Currently, the frametime difference of 1/48sec and 1/55sec is only 2.65 milliseconds so in theory timer jitter in NVIDIA drivers may cause refresh cycles to take long, since many monitors will automatically blank out when refreshtime exceeds tolerance parameters. It also may be the signal timings (VBI size, etc) that affects VRR range sensitivity as well)
So uh, I made the original post about the 55 VRR fix and I'd just like to mention that I'm really not an expert in this field. All I did was google for a possible fix and found that other G-sync compatible monitors had similiar problems which were fixable by raising the lower VR limit. I then procedeed to just pick a number that was a bit below 60 (since I imagined that would cause issues) and ran with it. There are probably other solutions, I just wanted to share a fix that was working for me.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Oct 2020, 13:46

I should add that NVIDIA drivers has been having the 55fps blackout problem with some other monitors (other than ViewSonic) for the FreeSync logic ("G-SYNC Compatible"). Hopefully a future driver will improve/fix this.

Fortunately, there's a silver lining. Raising the LFC lower limit is actually better anyway from a quality standpoint on 240Hz panels. LFC stutter is generally getting invisible on 240Hz+ panels (unlike 144Hz or 165Hz), since the LFC penalty is tiny (it's linked to the fastest refresh cycle -- 4.2ms for 240Hz). So a 55Hz LFC actually is an improvement over 48Hz LFC because a lot of material runs at 48fps and 50fps, as well as the fact that more frequent-refreshing produces better LCD GtG consistency between min-Hz and max-Hz. It also can reduce the faint (1%) flicker from sudden framerate changes (240fps suddenly going to 30fps suddenly going to 240fps, such as when a menu is brought up).

GammaLyrae

Post by GammaLyrae » 21 Oct 2020, 19:25

Dmoney405 wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 16:15
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 16:59
There was tuning targeted towards standard refresh rates, with the strobe tuning rounding-down to nearest tuned Hz, as no tuned refresh rates were done between 100Hz and 120Hz. 119Hz probably activates the same strobe-tuning as the tuning done for 100Hz. So any Hz between 100Hz-119Hz activates the 100Hz strobe tuning. (On my side, overriding 120Hz tuning with the 100Hz tuning makes things appear worse, so I can't recommend that solution... fixing you but breaking other users)
Can you disclose what the tuned refresh rates are? I'm guessing 75, 100, 120, 144, ???, ???, ???, 240.
If I recall earlier posts in the thread correctly...

75-90 was quoted as using the timings for 75hz so presumably there's no other tunings between between 75 and 100. 119 was quoted as using the 100hz timings, presumably nothing in the gap there either. 144hz seems like a safe assumption (can chief confirm?), I think he also posted that there was a separate timing for 230hz. 75, 100, 120, 230, 240 would be the ones I know i've seen from posts in the thread. Would be interesting to have a complete list.