Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
alienware

Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by alienware » 24 Nov 2019, 04:03

https://www.viewsonic.com/eu/products/lcd/XG270.php

Apparently its certified and tuned by blur busters. Any more information on this? Is this the 240hz IPS to get?

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Public Notice about Blur Busters Approved

Editor's Note: Announcement inserted in this thread to provide additional context for readers unfamiliar:

New Blur Busters Certification Program For Gaming Monitors

Q83Ia7ta

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 24 Nov 2019, 07:32

"Fully certified and tuned by Blur Busters, PureXP blur reduction utilises backlight strobing, drastically improving left to right motion image clarity for clear visuals in fast-moving objects."
Nicely done Chief!

There is also funny part at this page at monitor reviews sections : "Silver for Best Monitor - SMB's 2016 Reader's Choice Award".

Does that IPS really have response time (typical GTG): 1ms? I guess it's 1ms when maximum overdrive is set.

whitepuzzle

Post by whitepuzzle » 27 Nov 2019, 18:38

If only it was 24"...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Nov 2019, 20:30

Yep. ViewSonic had me factory-optimize the ClearXP+ strobe backlight mode on this monitor.

For a long time, bad strobe crosstalk and poor strobed color quality has been a long-time pet peeve of Blur Busters.

It's 120 Hz strobing is among the better I've seen thus far.

Yes, you heard me right. 99% sRGB strobed. IPS colors strobed. With the low crosstalk of TN. The cake is not a lie.

Its 1ms IPS is roughly as fast as a yesteryear 1ms TN. Even if not perfect 1ms. See Pixel Response: GtG vs MPRT FAQ for how pixel response numbers are measured, it's really fuzzy. But I've seen worse and ghostier 1ms TN panels than these 240 Hz 1ms Nano IPS panels. For 120Hz, I have less strobe crosstalk on my XG270 than my very old BenQ XL2720 which I also love for its flexibility.

If you want to support Blur Busters, feel free to buy your XG270 via this Amazon link:
(Purchasing this monitor via this link sends a commission to Blur Busters)

Amazon: ViewSonic XG270 -- 240Hz 1ms IPS Gaming Monitor

Also, I am pleased to mention that the XG270 is easy user firmware upgradeable via its USB port! No dongles.

A new Blur Busters Approved firmware is coming at ViewSonic that will add levels to the strobe backlight (Light, Normal, Extreme) as a pulse width adjustment. Though you can't adjust strobe phase, you will eventually be able to adjust pulse width in granular steps. I believe the new firmware is coming out early 2020. While you still lose a lot of brightness strobing. I'm able to get it pretty bright (about 2.5x to 4x brighter than PureXP+ first firmware) with the upcoming firmware I'm currently testing.

Custom Refresh Rate compatible (NVIDIA / AMD / ToastyX). Single strobes 75Hz thru 240Hz. Recommended strobe refresh is 120 Hz. Refresh rate headroom is your friend. No monitor (TN or IPS) does low-crosstalk at 240Hz yet. Though requires help to single-strobe 60 Hz, it also does really great strobed 60 Hz via software BFI in emulators (much better on this IPS than on TN). The nearly crosstalk-free 100 Hz and 120 Hz motion clarity reminds me of a Sony FW900 CRT on my desk -- except for LCD-style blacks instead of CRT-style blacks. The most CRT-color-quality strobing I've seen so far at this price range (if you strobe at 120Hz or less).

P.S. Although the marketing copy says "left/right" -- the blur reduction is omnidirectional and works vertically too. Marketing copy probably refers to TestUFO and FPS head turning since that's sideways motion. It works fine with vertical web browser smooth scrolling, no text ghosting -- we've dialed the strobe-optimized overdrive with careful consideration of comfortable strobed browser smooth scrolling too, not just games!

We're a LONG way from the "Poor LightBoost Colors" days, toto!
99% sRGB color gamut strobed.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Malinkadink

Post by Malinkadink » 27 Nov 2019, 21:51

Curious in this monitor even though I’m not a fan of 1080 at 27” I do wish to move away from TNs picture quality while still retaining good panel performance. I may be an outlier but I also like to have great performance at 60hz for console use and was curious to know if the input lag on this display is <10ms if measured in the center via Leo bodnar for example. Every single 240hz monitor I’ve seen so far is closer to 13-15ms of delay at 60hz which is undesirable.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Nov 2019, 22:51

Malinkadink wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 21:51
Curious in this monitor even though I’m not a fan of 1080 at 27” I do wish to move away from TNs picture quality while still retaining good panel performance. I may be an outlier but I also like to have great performance at 60hz for console use and was curious to know if the input lag on this display is <10ms if measured in the center via Leo bodnar for example. Every single 240hz monitor I’ve seen so far is closer to 13-15ms of delay at 60hz which is undesirable.
That's because nearly all 240Hz monitors have to buffer slow refresh cycles for fast-velocity scanout (1/240sec). The panels aren't horiz-scanrate multisync so they have to essentially scan-convert internally. That adds a few milliseconds of console lag. The same problem also occurs to many 1440p TN panels too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SilverOne

Post by SilverOne » 28 Nov 2019, 09:13

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 22:51
Malinkadink wrote:
That's because nearly all 240Hz monitors have to buffer slow refresh cycles for fast-velocity scanout (1/240sec). The panels aren't horiz-scanrate multisync so they have to essentially scan-convert internally. That adds a few milliseconds of console lag. The same problem also occurs to many 1440p TN panels too.
Wow. I've always found the added input lag odd but never understood why. Even though I'm unable to fully comprehend your answer I'm still really impressed. Does this happen at say 144hz or 237hz?

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 28 Nov 2019, 12:09

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 20:30
The nearly crosstalk-free 100 Hz and 120 Hz motion clarity reminds me of a Sony FW900 CRT on my desk -- except for LCD-style blacks instead of CRT-style blacks. The most CRT-color-quality strobing I've seen so far at this price range (if you strobe at 120Hz or less).
That sounds great and, for me, 1080p is great (quality at 27" seems that varies from monitor-brand).

But i have questions (feel free to answer what you want and how you want , as i post these more making my mind :D ;) ):
- How is the quality when non strobing?
- How is the quality when low FPS or unstable FPS (both strobed and nonstrobed)?
- I don't understand how the strobing at 60Hz works? You need software (guess you disable the BFI of the monitor), right? (don't try too hard to explain as i will probably don't really understand it, sorry xD ).
- The strobing, start to work "fine" at 75Hz (stable), right?
- What is your opinion comparing to your Sony FW900 CRT? (apart what you already said).
- Guess it works good from both HDMI and Displayport, right?
- How does it work with text? (i know it is not the main thing but i'd use it for games and text-Internet).
- When does it relase on Europe?!! :)

I'd love to see some videos with tests, are these planed? I think that can be nice :) .

Anyway, great job!!!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Nov 2019, 14:48

SilverOne wrote:
28 Nov 2019, 09:13
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 22:51
Malinkadink wrote:
Wow. I've always found the added input lag odd but never understood why. Even though I'm unable to fully comprehend your answer I'm still really impressed. Does this happen at say 144hz or 237hz?
<Technical>

Explanation: Why Most 240 Hz Monitors Are Low-Lag At 240 Hz But Higher Lag For Console 60 Hz

Technologically, the easiest way to explain why some 240Hz monitors are super-low-lag at 240Hz but slightly-higher-lag at 60Hz:

1. All screens only refresh some pixels at a time, they can't refresh all pixels simultaneously -- High Speed Videos.
2. Also, all cables transmit some pixels at a time, they can't transmit all pixels simultaneously.
3. If both (1) and (2) are in perfect sync (no scan conversion), then you can get lagless operation from GPU output to screen pixel.
4. If both (1) and (2) are not in perfect sync (require scan conversion), then you have some mandatory buffering lag.

Some monitors such as ZOWIE XL2420Z can do (3) at all refresh rates, while most 240 Hz monitors only do (3) at 240Hz while they have to do (4) at any refresh rate less than 240 Hz.

Also, not all pixels have the same latency. Sites such as DisplayLag and RTINGS typically measure screen center, as that's where most human-gazing is. And the latency gradient, along the vertical dimension on the screen, can vary from screen to screen, and from sync setting to sync setting (e.g. top=center=bottom versus top>center>bottom versus top<center<bottom). Those 9ms 60 Hz screens (screen center) typically has ~2ms latency at top edge and ~15ms latency at bottom edge during VSYNC ON operations, so screen center is also a good co-relation to average latency.

</Technical>

SilverOne

Post by SilverOne » 28 Nov 2019, 17:05

It's funny, this was once such a mystery to me. It didn't even make any sense at all but your explanation has definitively cleared it up. Thank you :).