Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Jun 2020, 19:59

ELK wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 18:07
I'm having an issue with my xg270. I have not checked if there is a newer firmware so the issue may be my laziness. There are horizontal lines across the screen in PureXP mode only. I have restarted my computer and the issue only occurs in pureXP mode. I will attempt to take some photos with my cell phone

The file is too large to upload the photos. They are resized to 50% 50% and saved as jpeg but they're still too large. Anyways it looks like every other row of pixels is brighter. Similar to a crt look. The effect is not faint as everything looks heavily striped, for example folders in windows file explorer in "details" mode

edit: similar to the screen door effect but they're not black/invisible lines but rather just brighter every other row.
You can email me the pics to mark [at] blurbusters.com and Blur Busters will imagehost them for you. Alternatively, upload them to IMGUR and link to them.

Abnormal horizontal-line issue (beyond acceptable thresholds) is an RMA-able defect (excessively visible LCD inversion artifact). But would like to see the pictures to confirm. I haven't seen blatant cases of this defect specific to XG270 so I am very interested in the pics.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

qgshadow

Post by qgshadow » 19 Jun 2020, 23:36

donnie wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 16:35
qgshadow wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 13:55
donnie wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 14:14
qgshadow wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 13:34
So what's the prefered way to create the custom 224hz resolution now?

CRU or Nvidia Control Panel and which settings to use?
Cru under CEA block because in NVCP created res you wont be able to set the 10bit color setting. I find nvcp has a bug where any custom resolution is jumping back to 8bit.

The gsync blackouts are fixed by raising the vrr limit to 55.
When i create it with CRU i still get 8bit over hdmi. Maybe i don't know how to use CRU correctly.
Maybe its HDMI, I use DP. Are you creating the resolution under CEA block? Because anything under custom resolution in NVCP bugs out the 10bit and downgrades to 8bit..NVIDIA should fix that issue tbh
Where do i go to apply it after i create it in CRU. When i go under display setting and check for hz on that monitor there is like 10 different ones and but the 224 that i apply is not the same as the one in CRU since the pixel clock is different. When i look in the monitor menu information i see 554hz and when i look under windows display settings i see 8bit.
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot_1.png (34.17 KiB) Viewed 5495 times

zaguama

Post by zaguama » 21 Jun 2020, 13:59

qgshadow wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 23:36
donnie wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 16:35
qgshadow wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 13:55
donnie wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 14:14

Cru under CEA block because in NVCP created res you wont be able to set the 10bit color setting. I find nvcp has a bug where any custom resolution is jumping back to 8bit.

The gsync blackouts are fixed by raising the vrr limit to 55.
When i create it with CRU i still get 8bit over hdmi. Maybe i don't know how to use CRU correctly.
Maybe its HDMI, I use DP. Are you creating the resolution under CEA block? Because anything under custom resolution in NVCP bugs out the 10bit and downgrades to 8bit..NVIDIA should fix that issue tbh
Where do i go to apply it after i create it in CRU. When i go under display setting and check for hz on that monitor there is like 10 different ones and but the 224 that i apply is not the same as the one in CRU since the pixel clock is different. When i look in the monitor menu information i see 554hz and when i look under windows display settings i see 8bit.
Just click add, select LCD Native and change the refresh rate under frequency to 224 and that's it, leave all the timings default of LCD Native. Here is how it should look like afterwards.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (58.74 KiB) Viewed 5439 times

Refuel

Post by Refuel » 21 Jun 2020, 20:00

*fixed*
Last edited by Refuel on 22 Jun 2020, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.

Refuel

Post by Refuel » 21 Jun 2020, 20:15

*fixed*
Last edited by Refuel on 22 Jun 2020, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.

Refuel

Post by Refuel » 21 Jun 2020, 22:41

**Fixed** My sound defaulted initially to the xg270 speakers and i moved it back to my surround sound. Thats when the on screen display borked but its now setup. I have access to it now and updated everything. Finally got to play with this new monitor and man it is a dream. Amazing monitor. Well worth it!

I have no plans on using the onboard xg270 speakers. In order for me to get into the elite display controller OSD software, I have to have the built in speakers enabled as my primary audio device. If i have my 5.1 setup enabled or if I disable the xg270 nvidia high def audio device from control panel > sound > manage sound devices I cannot get into the OSD and the taskbar icon appears and then disappears. I can work around it for now but it's odd that I have to change my output to the xg speakers to use the software OSD to make video changes even though on the software OSD there are no audio options to choose from. the built in OSD does have audio options but i just find it weird that when the elite OSD software controller tries to load, it expects the audio portion to be connected.

Deadvard

Post by Deadvard » 22 Jun 2020, 11:07

Hey, I'm still not getting the new firmware update. I've tried reinstalling the Elite Display Controller numerous times, USB cable plugged in, rebooted, etc. Help!

winterking

Post by winterking » 22 Jun 2020, 11:40

Refuel wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 22:41
**Fixed** My sound defaulted initially to the xg270 speakers and i moved it back to my surround sound. Thats when the on screen display borked but its now setup. I have access to it now and updated everything. Finally got to play with this new monitor and man it is a dream. Amazing monitor. Well worth it!

I have no plans on using the onboard xg270 speakers. In order for me to get into the elite display controller OSD software, I have to have the built in speakers enabled as my primary audio device. If i have my 5.1 setup enabled or if I disable the xg270 nvidia high def audio device from control panel > sound > manage sound devices I cannot get into the OSD and the taskbar icon appears and then disappears. I can work around it for now but it's odd that I have to change my output to the xg speakers to use the software OSD to make video changes even though on the software OSD there are no audio options to choose from. the built in OSD does have audio options but i just find it weird that when the elite OSD software controller tries to load, it expects the audio portion to be connected.
I've experienced similar issues. Elite Display Controller seems to crash if the Windows speaker configuration is set to anything more than stereo. I suspect it might have something to do with the 'Jazz' and 'Elite Global' RGB lighting settings which synchronize the RGB lights in time with audio.

cheesebanana

Post by cheesebanana » 23 Jun 2020, 09:38

Quick question

Trying to understand something (While being relatively new to understanding a lot of the things discussed on this forum, but learning!)

Is the upshot of the 120hz strobe/240hz refresh rate and the talk of CRT like performance, basically boiling down to:

"By buying a monitor that can run to 240hz, but using it effectively at 120hz (to match a game performing at say 120fps), is what gives you this CRT like experience"?

So in essence you're buying a 240hz monitor, but "running it" at 120hz (via the strobe), to sacrifice the pure display of 240 image refreshes a second, that are dirty/blurry, to instead show 120 perfectly calibrated and pristine CRT-like frames instead.

So, what i mean is, technically, running it this way would be a "downgrade" from a 144hz, in that you'd be seeing less frames per second, but the smoothness, and the quality of those refreshes at 120, would would feel far nicer and from an experience point of view, actually feel smoother than the technically faster 144hz?

Is that kind of a laymans explanation of that?

Basically i'm looking to upgrade from a 144hz to a 240hz, and this monitor seems very well received and has the ol mark of approval from the experts themselves, but it feels counter intuitive to pay to upgrade to 240hz...and then run it at effectively 120hz to get the best results, if that makes sense.

(And i realise you can customize the strobe, so you can just run it at 240hz/240hz strobe and still have a super fast display, but the effect wont be that apparent CRT-like super clarity)

Thanks for anybody that can decipher my nonsense.

That didn't turn out so quick, oh well!

Ansive

Post by Ansive » 23 Jun 2020, 13:20

You're upgrading from 144hz to 240hz, plus IPS benefits (and freesync if you don't have that already).
Running it at 100 or 120hz in strobbing mode (purexp) is simply a different option that gives CRT-like performance, great for some but not all games.