Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
ELK
Posts: 93
Joined: 18 Dec 2015, 02:51

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by ELK » 29 Mar 2020, 19:44









Chief Blur Buster wrote:
29 Mar 2020, 18:56
Cattiy19 wrote:
29 Mar 2020, 07:31
Next I am considering a 1440p IPS panel monitor with 165hz, but that means even more motion blur as far as I understand?
-- Reducing refresh rate will increase motion blur. Halving refresh rate will typically double nonstrobed motion blur
-- Higher resolutions will mean bigger difference between stationary-vs-moving images. Moving images will have unchanged motion blur, but stationary images will be sharper, creating a bigger delta between stationary images versus moving images.

Consider a 1440p 240Hz monitor if you hate strobing and hate motion blur, but still want 1440p. And upgrade your graphics to maintain framerates (or use a frame rate amplification technology such as NVIDIA DLSS)
Moving images will have unchanged motion blur...? I'm confused

I assume 1440p vs 1080p will have the same motion blur if the object is moving at the same pixel/s but that would mean the object is moving slower on the 1440p screen. If it was moving the same speed (crossing the screen in the same amount of time) it would have more motion blur. Is this correct?

edit: I think I figured it out XD. Assuming it's going the correct speed for this, the 1080p will have 3 pixels of blur and the 1440p will have 4 resulting in the same length blur trail.

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 7555
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Mar 2020, 01:03

ELK wrote:
29 Mar 2020, 19:44
Moving images will have unchanged motion blur...? I'm confused

I assume 1440p vs 1080p will have the same motion blur if the object is moving at the same pixel/s but that would mean the object is moving slower on the 1440p screen. If it was moving the same speed (crossing the screen in the same amount of time) it would have more motion blur. Is this correct?
Correct.

Unchanged motion blur definitely refers to the number of milliseconds of motion blur (milliseconds MPRT / persistence), which would definitely lead to what you say. Higher dpi means more motion blur over the same physical distance.
ELK wrote:
29 Mar 2020, 19:44
edit: I think I figured it out XD. Assuming it's going the correct speed for this, the 1080p will have 3 pixels of blur and the 1440p will have 4 resulting in the same length blur trail.
Effectively, for the same physical speeds (e.g. turnspeed in game), you have more motionblur (on a pixel basis). So you've got a bigger delta between the higher spatial resolution of a stationary image, versus blur-over-more-pixels for the same motionspeed.

Not everyone is annoyed by this, but it is quite noticeable to some. Higher resolutions (higher DPI), amplify the visibility of motion blur, because of the bigger difference in sharpness between stationary images and moving images (of same physical speed). Consequently, 60Hz limitations are much more visible at 4K than at 1080p.

<Science>
This is part of why we're big fans of the refresh rate race, as seen in Blur Busters Law: The Amazing Journey To Future 1000Hz Displays. Higher resolutions amplifying refresh rate limitations, is part of the what we call the "Vicious Cycle Effect" -- higher rez begets higher Hz. As soon as you go to retina resolutions (e.g. 8K desktop monitors), reaching retina refresh rates gets very high (several thousand Hz) and in VR contexts, retina refresh rates will require quintuple digits. So we still need the strobing (impulsed low-persistence displays) because we're unable to use those unobtainium frame rates & refresh rates to completely eliminate motion blur without strobing/BFI techniques.
</Science>
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

tznch
Posts: 2
Joined: 30 Mar 2020, 07:33

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by tznch » 30 Mar 2020, 07:37

Hi everyone. XG270 owner here. Today i noticed firmware upgrade for elite controller. Decided "why not". After update - my XG270 went off and dont go on anymore. However, USB hub works fine.

Just FYI that it seems new firmware could be broken. Already created request on Viewsonic support, hope they will react fast. Tried re-install drivers, controller (with and without new firmware). Windows cannot detect it now in any case. Appreciate in any advices\help how this issue could be fixed.

Regards

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 7555
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Mar 2020, 13:47

tznch wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 07:37
Hi everyone. XG270 owner here. Today i noticed firmware upgrade for elite controller. Decided "why not". After update - my XG270 went off and dont go on anymore. However, USB hub works fine.
When the firmware upgrade finishing installing, it will blank out for a few seconds -- a brief blanking (like a monitor being turned off then back on automatically) is normal during a firmware upgrade. (Don't interrupt the firmware upgrade at this stage) However.... if the picture never came back after a long period, then I'm curious what's happening.

Can you please email me personally directly at mark [at] blurbusters.com as I'd like to connect you to my ViewSonic contacts. This is better than the forum because this is an abnormal report. Thanks!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

Cattiy19
Posts: 7
Joined: 27 Mar 2020, 07:03

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Cattiy19 » 30 Mar 2020, 16:26

Same problem here...Immediately after starting the update process, the screen turned black. Sitting here for minutes. How long I am supposed to wait?

Also got notice, that a new version of the Elite Software was available, maybe one should upgrade it first?

Which version is the newest version, or what is the shipping version and where can I see which version I am running. Of course, if the monitor ever will turn on again.

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 7555
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Mar 2020, 16:46

Cattiy19 wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 16:26
Same problem here...Immediately after starting the update process, the screen turned black. Sitting here for minutes. How long I am supposed to wait?
It shouldn't be black that long -- it should be coming right back up just as if you had turned off the monitor, and then turned on the monitor again (monitor reboot). I've now forwarded to ViewSonic.

It's currently 5:46am in Taiwan, so hang tight.

______________

Attention everyone, if you see this before you saw the firmware upgrade notification.

I suggest holding off on accepting the firmware upgrade that ViewSonic has released -- until I know what is going on.

It may be safest to wait until further information / instructions are posted.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

Cattiy19
Posts: 7
Joined: 27 Mar 2020, 07:03

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Cattiy19 » 30 Mar 2020, 17:08

Update. Power unplug did NOTHING. 3 days old and dead. All while the greatest pandemic for 100 years. Glad I have not sold my old trusty DELL. I will give Viewsonic 1 day, Otherwise I will send this thing back and will never look back. Other mothers have beautiful daughters too as we say in Germany.

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 7555
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Mar 2020, 19:15

Cattiy19 wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 17:08
Update. Power unplug did NOTHING. 3 days old and dead. All while the greatest pandemic for 100 years. Glad I have not sold my old trusty DELL. I will give Viewsonic 1 day, Otherwise I will send this thing back and will never look back. Other mothers have beautiful daughters too as we say in Germany.
Can you please email me personally directly at mark [at] blurbusters.com as I'd like to connect you to my ViewSonic contacts too. This is better than the forum because this is an abnormal report. Thanks!

___________

IMPORTANT NOTE -- For Other Users: I'm awaiting information from ViewSonic Taiwan (different timezone) for a solution. Keep tuned. You may wish to hold off accepting firmware update until further information is available.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

Coloz
Posts: 7
Joined: 30 Mar 2020, 19:56

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Coloz » 30 Mar 2020, 20:03

Yep. Mine was also bricked in the same way. Turned off just after clicking update firmware and right after it was downloaded. Tried power unplugging power, nothing. Tried unplugging usb, nothing. Also tried holding down the power button and a combination of the other buttons nothing.

Facts:
- I did not upgrade the elite software first before doing the firmware upgrade
- I was not running any other 3d applications in the background.
- I have a dual monitor setup.
- 2080 RTX

I'm giving viewsonic until the end of the week to come up with a fix, or back to amazon this goes. And i had jsut gotten used to the resolution downgrade from 1440p down to 1080p. Womp Womp. Luckily i still have my asus p279q

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 7555
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Mar 2020, 20:21

Third report.

This makes me greatly concerned, and I'll also ask if there's a solution that doesn't require returning monitor for exchange.

I have now reached ViewSonic, currently talking to my contacts. Business day in Taiwan started (9:00am ET) and ViewSonic is now aware. Please keep tuned.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

Post Reply