Asus Tuf VG27BQ

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
kandor1978

Asus Tuf VG27BQ

Post by kandor1978 » 22 Dec 2019, 09:10

Hi everyone,

I could not resist to buy one even though I heard alot of bad stuff about ELMB-Sync and these monitors

Anyway it is really not a good implementation of ELMB,
But things I have found that helps alot that I would assume are same on the IPS and VA variance of these screens

For example, I get terrible ghosting on all FPS ranges at any HZ I set the monitor to,
But I have found a work arround that actually looks better than when ELMB-Sync is off

You need to turn off ELMB-Sync first and then go and move the trace free settings to 0
then you go and turn on ELMB-Sync, for some reason I think the monitor firmware is bugged and does not set correct overdrive settings in ELMB-SYNC

This has essentially made the monitor quiet useful and works quiet well even up to 140hz
I actually think 140fps limit looks better than 120fps, even with all crosstalk and so on
But it looks absolutley terrible if you enable ELMB-Sync when monitor has Tracefree setting at anything beside 0

Please report if you have any of these 3 monitors and tell if this helps anyhow

Best,
Kandor

kandor1978

Re: Asus Tuf VG27BQ

Post by kandor1978 » 22 Dec 2019, 09:44

Please do not get me wrong,
I am not recommending this monitor. I think their implementation is absolutley terrible
Just that it is even worse than it could be

Best,
Kandor

kandor1978

Post by kandor1978 » 23 Dec 2019, 20:22

This monitor makes no sense to me

Sometimes when you start it, everything works pretty well with ELMB-Sync, and some other times it has such severe ghosting that it gets unplayable.
I have tried many different FPS limits, even added some custom resolution with CRU with very high Vertical total and at first it looked quiet good
Then after some restarts and resolution changes it is back to having such severe ghosting that its totally unwatchable or playable

Any suggestions would be highly appriciated

Best,
Kandor

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 20 Jan 2020, 12:47

Hi, thanks for the info, i not have this monitor, but i'm interested to know what happens if set at OSD VRR-Off ELMB-On, and test it like a basic ELMB monitor, with fixed frequency, test CRU custom resolutions at 100Hz with diferents VT's of around 144-150Hz PixelClock.

Reviews show that the TUF Series 2019 apply a decent single-strobe with fixed frequency's, strobing at the exact ms-rate of the frequency, so the double image issue with ELMB-Sync can be fixed with VRR-Off.

I type max. 150 because i saw people reporting that this model strobing at 165Hz is not stable, for some tech issue cause heavy flicker, is a lottery, some units can apply it, others not. That explain why this monitor has 144-150-155-160-165 frequency's availables. And Asus first announcement say 155Hz monitor, but finally launch it "Up to 165", i guess it was to try make people think that the panel is the same or more modern than the PG278QR (2016) or PG278QE (March 2019).

With this config, VSync ON, and 100FPS steady, work good ?

Now that can't see the double image issue, can examinate the size of crosstalk band without interferences, if is placed Up/Down or at center of the screen, and try different OD settings (Trace Free) to see if can help.

Another matter: In your unit, you can see a strange behavior at first two pixels at Upper-Left corner ? I saw customers reporting that this monitor has a faulty desing panel, and these two pixels are receiving the color signal of the Bottom-Right pixels :shock:

A image with upper half red, and lower half black, these Upper-Left pixels are not red, are black !

A image with upper half black, and lower half red, these Upper-Left pixels are not black, are red ! and if you move the white mouse pointer to Bottom Right corner, these two Upper-Left pixels change from red to white :lol:

I not know if is a issue with the first batch, or current units also. The report is a germany unit from October 2019. This guys buy three units from different sellers, the three units with the same issue :o

https://www.amazon.de/ASUS-VG27BQ-Monit ... geNumber=1

kandor1978

Post by kandor1978 » 22 Jan 2020, 08:52

Hi

I have tried to set it to single refresh mode, and it works, and looks decent, did not investigate that too much to be honest as its not what I bought it for

The 2 top pixel issue does not exist on my monitor at least, I guess Asus fixed it in later revisions

165hz in vrr mode with ELMB-sync does flicker indeed, so when I tried ELMB-sync it was up to 155hz I tried with success of not having flicker

But I have found to love this monitor after all this.
It does extremely well without ELMB-SYNC, it actually is quiet blur free image because the panel is fast.
It is my first TN panel so I do not have alot to compare to, but it has made me not want to touch my Acer XB271HU anymore
I can not stand the motion blur of that screen.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Kandor

Mike68

Post by Mike68 » 22 Jan 2020, 12:12

My thoughts on this monitor.

FYI for kandor. ASUS might have a firmware update you can RMA for if you ask them about it. They claimed to me that the engineers "improved" the crosstalk in a new firmware, but didn't tell me for what build of the monitor. My build was october 2019, and i was set to send it in, but decided to just return it for other reasons. I returned it because the motion just looked strange to me in motion. Even with glasses it hurt my eyes. Going back to my AOC 2260 VWQ6 21.5 inch fixed it. This, im thinking, might be due to the variation in pixel times between 60 and 144 fps (w/ adaptive sync), and maybe the sheer size of the thing. I tried turning off AS, and that helped a lot, but the motion was still the same strangeness. It just wasn't as clear as my AOC (to my eyes). So IT DOES have the same problem as the VG27AQ in that the pixel response is worse at 60 than it is at higher refreshes. And the trace settings didn't matter for me either. Across all trace settings the ghosting looked largely the same, except for higher refresh rates caused ghosting to be closer to the actual image. Most said TF 60 was good. But none of them really did much for me. TF 20-40 is what i stuck with. With the possibility of TF 60 at 144 hz.

For me FIXED Hertz worked better to reduce this issue.

But the ELMB feature has crosstalk regardless of whether you have Adaptive Sync enabled. For me this was true of any frequency where ELMB was allowed on.All UFO tests showed crosstalk. But as is usual, the center of the screen was the cleanest, then you had worse at the top and bottom bands.

For most games, it didn't matter. ELMB wasn't much better than ELMB OFF. I still could see blurring. That's probably due to the strobe length being too large to get the clearest picture.

But if you're interested, contact Asus support and see what they tell you about the firmware update.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 22 Jan 2020, 16:22

I read that exists a trick to set the desired OD Level (TraceFree) with ELMB-On VRR-Off: disable both, set the desired OD level, and enable ELMB, and now OD is fixed at this level during strobe. But if not disable ELMB, OD is blocked.

Also, in Scenary mode color settings are unlocked, you can make sRGB calibration, you can get very good colors, close to IPS panel VG27AQ. And some people say that this custom color is also apply to other modes like FPS, RTS, ... this sound cool.