Two monitors: 240hz and 60hz

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Caronizeeee

Two monitors: 240hz and 60hz

Post by Caronizeeee » 10 Jan 2020, 23:42

Hello guys, I apologize for my bad English.

I am using a 240h Alienware and am looking to get a second monitor, maybe Ultrawide, which will probably be 60 or 75hz.

I am a competitive player and have heard that connecting a low refresh rate monitor along with a high refresh rate monitor interferes with the high refresh rate monitor performance. A friend of mine who does just that had also told me that he felt a lot of difference when he linked the two together.

However, I'm an audio producer too and I do some things that on two screens I would gain a giant productivity.

My question would be, if I took a second 60hz monitor, what should I do so when I play competitively, this monitor will not interfere with anything at all on my 240hz performance? Would I really need to disconnect it from the HDMI of my video card or just turning it off would end the problems?

Thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Two monitors: 240hz and 60hz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jan 2020, 12:19

Caronizeeee wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 23:42
My question would be, if I took a second 60hz monitor, what should I do so when I play competitively, this monitor will not interfere with anything at all on my 240hz performance? Would I really need to disconnect it from the HDMI of my video card or just turning it off would end the problems?
1. 240 Hz as primary monitor
2. Game in true Full Screen Exclusive. Not windowed or borderless windowed.

Windowed on one monitor will interfere with windowed on the other monitor. It's currently a Microsoft limitation that the Windows compositor is single-Hz. Hopefully they fix discordant-Hz multimonitor down the road by running separate compositor threads per monitor. If you only open one window, it will usually sync to the monitor it is on. But two windows on different monitors, they start stuttering or lagging, even if things are smooth (when the Hz is divisble).

Games running in FSE on primary doesn't have this problem.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!