LG OLED CX 120Hz BFI

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
NeonPizza

Re: LG OLED CX 120Hz BFI

Post by NeonPizza » 29 Nov 2021, 09:27

whitestar wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 18:28
Technically this is a question for the LG C1, but since there was no thread for it (and it's very similar to the CX) I ask it here. In the RTINGS test I saw this:

"In 'Game Optimizer' mode, the settings are the same, but note that you can't enable BFI if you have Prevent Input Delay set to 'Boost'. Unfortunately, you can't enable BFI in 'PC' mode."

So what does that mean exactly. Can I still enable BFI when connecting a PC to the C1?

Also, how will a 1080p game look on the 4K screen? I assume the upscaling is pretty good on that TV? Or is that just true for TV signals?
I've had the 65" C1 for several months now and after doing numerous comparisons here's what I've noticed. Game mode isn't as sharp as ISF Bright/Dark, nor is it as bright. They clearly had to ditch some of that extra shnazzy' processing to get lag as low as possible i'm guessing. To compensate for the lack of sharpness, just increase the sharpness to your liking and play with the Super Resolution Settings. I find with 3D titles running in 900p/1080p content on switch like Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey etc setting sharpness to 50 + Super Resolution High yields the best result. But for 2D sprite based titles knocking it down to at least 10 and turning off Super resolution looks best.

As for PC mode, i dont like it. It greys out the Wide color gamut(This TV needs it due it's weak color volume and lack luster WRGB Color) and whatever else. I just stick to the game setting. Also, as you know boost mode gives you 9.5-10ms, but MotionPro HIGH which is designed for 60fps and below content is 21-22ms when gaming. Not ideal for stuff like platformers but not too shabby for 3rd or first person shooters. If you plan on using boost mode you might want to reduce brightness to 48-49 and plunk the black stabilizer setting at -9 to compensate for the near black gamma issue. ;)

And if you want to squeeze more brightness out of this TV when using BFI in game mode or even without it, you can always go into the service menu and turn HDR Module ON, which basically gives you the peak brightness HIGH setting in game mode for brightness. BUT, the downside is that it makes colors inaccurate, but at least it adds zero latency.

NeonPizza

Post by NeonPizza » 29 Nov 2021, 09:44

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 15:04
NeonPizza wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 20:32
I mean, with 3rd party titles on PC, using an RTX3080Ti isn't it possible to run EVERY single game you throw at it in 120fps? even if it means dropping down to 1080p? if that's doable than i'll just go straight to PC and skip the PS5 until the PS5 Pro comes out which assumingly will push 120fps for nearly every game. Switch is still screwed without emulation though.
You'll be able to do 1080p/120 on most non-raytraced games on an RTX 3080 Ti. You will have to significantly reduce detail levels on titles such as Cyberpunk 2077 though, but it can peak at 120fps with the help of lower detail and DLSS enabled.

If you get a good any-Hz strober like the XG2431 -- like www.blurbusters.com/xg2431 -- then you can create a QFT modes catering to the specific frame rates your games can achieve, e.g. 100Hz strobing if you want a bit more game detail.

Well, the 3080Ti is officially out of my price range. :P I might have to drop down to the regular RTX3080 once i decide to go PC.
Hmm, what will it take to run Native 4K+120fps at max settings(without raytracing) on my future 77" QD-OLED Sony/Samsung? lol I really wish developers would include Gyro Motion pointer Aiming too in their games rather than playing it safe and resorting to just Analog stick aiming....Yeesh, it makes me feeling i'm operating a tank. it's so jerky, unrealistic and unimmersive compared to motion. It's so....XBOX 360/2005. lol The Wii remote + sensor bar under controlled lighting conditions 'outside' of VR is still the motion pointer champion. Metroid Prime 3's pointer controls were mind blowing back in 2007 and they're still amazing to this day.

Anyways, I'm far more interested in VR at this point. It's really tough for me to go back to something like Resident Evil 7 on my LG C1 after spending a few hours of it in VR even with the handful of compromises stemming from the PSVR in all of it's proto type feeling glory. I figure, the next best option or alternative to VR would be a 77" 2022 Sony or Samsung QD-OLED, running the game at 120fps + 120hz BFI/Rolling Scan 1 or better yet 2, since QD-OLED should have more gobs of brightness to spare) and using motion gyro aiming(which unfortunately doesn't exist in this case). that's 2 out of 3 at least. :P I'm crossing my fingers that Bioshock 1, Infinite, Resident Evil 8 especially and several other traditional Titles get ported to VR.

As for gaming on a monitor. At this point, i'd only be willing to settle for at least 65" so that basically limits me to TV's only.
Also, I'm guessing it will take a game to run at 240fps with 240hz Rollings Scan/BFI '2'('Medium' on the LG C1 for example) to finally or nearly eliminate OLED motion blur? The sad reality though is that we probably wont be seeing 240fps games, let alone TVs for years.
Ugh, i hate motion blur. I totally miss the days of CRT. I know monitors are finally correcting this, but again i'm looking for a 65"-77" TV

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Nov 2021, 15:32

Older games like Bioshock Infinite has no problems running 4K 120fps on a lowly RTX 3070, you just may have to be judicious with certain settings with older games.

Back up the truck on those massive Steam Sales on 3-year-old games and older and you can have a lot of 4K 120fps nirvana with just a 3070 or 3080, or even a 2080.

May want to enable GSYNC to allow games to room to breathe in minor fluctuating frame rates (80-120fps) without visible stutter.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

NeonPizza

Post by NeonPizza » 10 Dec 2021, 08:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 15:32
Older games like Bioshock Infinite has no problems running 4K 120fps on a lowly RTX 3070, you just may have to be judicious with certain settings with older games.

Back up the truck on those massive Steam Sales on 3-year-old games and older and you can have a lot of 4K 120fps nirvana with just a 3070 or 3080, or even a 2080.

May want to enable GSYNC to allow games to room to breathe in minor fluctuating frame rates (80-120fps) without visible stutter.
I think I'll roll with an RTX3080 for a little more power, which wont partially break the bank like that supposedly overpriced Ti. :P

And I've got to say, going back to 60fps on sample & hold TV's like OLED is a sad story. 60fps can look great on CRT & even plasma depending on the model but with sample and hold technologies like OLED and especially QLED, nah, not a chance imo. Especially for anything that's in first or 3rd person. The motherload of motion blur layered on top of only 300p motion resolution which destroys and smears all details in the environments the moment the camera starts moving at a decent speed is complete BS when you factor in just how expensive these TV's are.

The BFI HIGH setting like i mentioned earlier on the C1 drains too much brightness for my liking. And the increase in latency(21ms) is kind of unacceptable(especially for platformers) and that flicker can be pretty noticeable at times. So i'm kind of at a lose lose situation with both the base motion & BFI.

Only solution is brute forcing 120fps for games & using a higher end BFI max setting for movies/TV.

Just wondering though. When TV's do finally adopt 240hz, will running a game at 240fps using 240hz BFI/Rolling Scan finally eliminate motion Blur once and for all?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Dec 2021, 19:29

NeonPizza wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 08:29
Just wondering though. When TV's do finally adopt 240hz, will running a game at 240fps using 240hz BFI/Rolling Scan finally eliminate motion Blur once and for all?
Short Answer: No

Long Answer: Depends

BFI motion clarity depends on whether it can do sub-refresh BFI (The LG CX can do BFI in 4ms increments, while LG C9/C1 can do BFI in 8ms increments).

No. Retina refresh rate is well over 10,000Hz. The diminishing curves goes a long way. More reading can be found at www.blurbusters.com/area51

For slower 960 pixels/sec speeds, retina refresh rate is pretty close to 1000 Hz.

And

But in a good wide-FOV 8K VR headset, motionspeeds of a can be 10,000 pixels/sec for a slow head turn in VR that you can still eye-track on (e.g. tiny text on a wall). Even 1 pixel of motion blur can be made visible this way at any MPRTs bigger than 0.1ms

MPRT 0.1ms on impulsed display = Requires strobe flash of 1/10000sec (at any low Hz)
MPRT 0.1ms on sample and hold display = Requires 10,000fps at 10,000Hz

240Hz sample and hold can only have MPRT 4ms.

Scientific Citations to micdrop this debate can be found in various articles/links at Blur Busters Area 51.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Dec 2021, 19:29

NeonPizza wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 08:29
Short Answer: No

Long Answer: Depends

BFI motion clarity depends on whether it can do sub-refresh BFI (The LG CX can do BFI in 4ms increments, while LG C9/C1 can do BFI in 8ms increments). Motion Blur is the BFI Duty Cycle (how long the visible frame is flashed for -- see BFI Duty Cycle Animation)

The required "retina" refresh rate on some displays can go well over 10,000Hz. The vanishing point of the diminishing curves of returns goes a long way. More reading can be found at www.blurbusters.com/area51

For slower 960 pixels/sec speeds, retina refresh rate is pretty close to 1000 Hz.

And

But in a good wide-FOV 8K VR headset, motionspeeds of a can be 10,000 pixels/sec for a slow head turn in VR that you can still eye-track on (e.g. tiny text on a wall). Even 1 pixel of motion blur can be made visible this way at any MPRTs bigger than 0.1ms

MPRT 1ms on impulsed display = Requires strobe flash of 1/1000sec (at any low Hz)
MPRT 1ms on sample and hold display = Requires 1000fps at 1000Hz (strobe free method)

MPRT 0.1ms on impulsed display = Requires strobe flash of 1/10000sec (at any low Hz)
MPRT 0.1ms on sample and hold display = Requires 10,000fps at 10,000Hz (strobe free method)

240Hz sample and hold can only have MPRT 4ms.

Scientific Citations to micdrop this debate can be found in various articles/links at Blur Busters Area 51.

BFI is a band-aid because real-life does not flicker. The Holy Grail is blur reduction WITHOUT BFI. Simulate analog frame rates like real life (aka ultra high frame rate at ultra high Hz). Blurless sample-and-hold is more ergonomically friendly.

Generally, for sample-and-holed, Blur Busters recommendation is to ugprade framerate & Hz geometrically. Such as 60,120,240,480,1000 Hz (approx 2x upgrades) or 60,144,360,1000 Hz (approx 2.5x upgrades) to fight the diminishing curve of returns, as much as framerates of your GPU will allow, and as much as future Frame Rate Amplification Technologies allows.

Failing that, use strobing as a band-aid for the inability to eliminate motion blur via brute framerate & Hz.

Ozzuneoj

Post by Ozzuneoj » 04 Feb 2022, 00:36

I have been looking at getting either a C1 or CX 55" to hook up to our living room PC (our only source, no game consoles or other smart devices). Right now it has an old GTX 970 but I will get a RTX 3000 of some sort eventually for proper HDMI 2.1 support.

What is the consensus now, in 2022, regarding the two TVs? If I go with a CX, what are the trade offs versus getting a C1?

Are the BFI differences between them worth the trade offs? To put it into context, I'm a long-time CRT fan. I was using an HP P1230 (relabeled HP DiamondPro 21") until ~2015 when I bought a BenQ XL2720Z, which I'm still using. I always have blur-reduction on while browsing, working or gaming, along with the vertical total tweaks to reduce crosstalk... I'm fairly picky about these things at my main PC. However, with TV's I'm not really as picky since I'm not staring at it for hours and hours, and I'm not nearly as close.

Main factors of my TV purchase:
I do fully intend to make use of 4k 120Hz with full 4:4:4 chroma for desktop use when I get a new GPU. I love a smooth and clear desktop experience, even just for browsing.

I have never experienced VRR\Gsync so I intend to use it for any 3D games we play, and I understand that I won't be able to use BFI at the same time on these TVs, so that's okay.

I would like to use BFI when possible if there aren't any significant drawbacks, because motion clarity is something I definitely appreciate. I'm not sure how big of a difference it will make at normal TV viewing distance, but if I have the option to use it I definitely want it to work well and not cause problems or impose any strange restrictions (chroma subsampling, input lag, etc). I'm not sure which TV is better in this regard.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

NeonPizza

Post by NeonPizza » 25 Feb 2022, 00:14

Wait a second....

So the LG CX's Black frame insertion Max setting gives you <2ms persistence? But how much motion resolution exactly?
And the LG C1's MotionPro High/BFI settings gives you <3ms, but again how much motion resolution?

I guess LG Figured they were screwed without a Heatsink, so they compensated by raising the motion response time for LG C1 so they could shell out more brightness and get over 100 nits(CX's BFI was below 100 which doesn't fly with me). Pretty sure with MotionPro high on the LG C1, you're hitting just over 100 nits when the OLED Light is maxed to 100. I also raise contrast to 97(anything over clips whites) to gain a bit more brightness, it's the only way.

Using the peak brightness settings is a bad idea since it's negatively impacts color and makes them innacurate. Hoping that Sony's upcming QD-OLED raises the bar with it's BFI, and magically gives us 1ms persistence + 1080p motion resolution AND and over 100 nits for SDR.

For Streaming & Discs I'm fine with just over 100 nits in SDR...I mean, i typically have my OLED light set to 50-60 for ISF Dark Room settings(WIthout BFI) and it's plenty bright for SDR, however many nits that equals too. BFI High by comparison maxed to 100 oled light seems to be comparible with OLED light 45 when not using BFI. Maybe i'm getting 130 or so nits, not sure.

NeonPizza

Post by NeonPizza » 25 Feb 2022, 00:30

Ozzuneoj wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 00:36
I have been looking at getting either a C1 or CX 55" to hook up to our living room PC (our only source, no game consoles or other smart devices). Right now it has an old GTX 970 but I will get a RTX 3000 of some sort eventually for proper HDMI 2.1 support.

What is the consensus now, in 2022, regarding the two TVs? If I go with a CX, what are the trade offs versus getting a C1?

Are the BFI differences between them worth the trade offs? To put it into context, I'm a long-time CRT fan. I was using an HP P1230 (relabeled HP DiamondPro 21") until ~2015 when I bought a BenQ XL2720Z, which I'm still using. I always have blur-reduction on while browsing, working or gaming, along with the vertical total tweaks to reduce crosstalk... I'm fairly picky about these things at my main PC. However, with TV's I'm not really as picky since I'm not staring at it for hours and hours, and I'm not nearly as close.

I do fully intend to make use of 4k 120Hz with full 4:4:4 chroma for desktop use when I get a new GPU. I love a smooth and clear desktop experience, even just for browsing.

I have never experienced VRR\Gsync so I intend to use it for any 3D games we play, and I understand that I won't be able to use BFI at the same time on these TVs, so that's okay.

I would like to use BFI when possible if there aren't any significant drawbacks, because motion clarity is something I definitely appreciate. I'm not sure how big of a difference it will make at normal TV viewing distance, but if I have the option to use it I definitely want it to work well and not cause problems or impose any strange restrictions (chroma subsampling, input lag, etc). I'm not sure which TV is better in this regard.

I can't game on OLED unless the game is 120fps and that's solely because 120fps cuts motion blur down by half and doubles up on motion resolution. It also reduces latency down to 5ms which is getting close to CRT and of course gives you that realistic buttery smooth motion that you just can't get from 60. And you have two settings to further reduce motion blur & gain more motion resolution. With the LG C1, they're Motion Pro Low & Medium which are designed for 120hz bfi.....Wouldn't recommend medium though as it robs you of too much brigthness where as low only takes a small amount. Low, as is makes a noticeable improvement but there will a bit of shadow detail crushing and a little more latency in return.

Anyways, witha60fps for example, is like gaming through the eyes of Barny Gumble from The Simpsons. Can't get down with that drunkOvision nonsense. Kills the experience in every first and 3rd person based title i play. Heck, i refuse to play Resident Evil 8: Village until i get an Aurora RTX3080 PC so i can plunk it at 120fps. Seeing as how capcom hasn't even bothered to update it with a 120fps patch for Series X or PS5. They could get that game running at 120fps(Including RE2,3 & 7) @1080p if they wanted....

But back to BFI....Streaming/Discs, Max BFI on the CX has been said to offer under 100 nits brightness which is not ideal, but apparently it has <2ms persistence which is 1ms faster than the C1's MotionPro High setting. Plus, there's more shadow detail crushing with the CX from it's BFI. CX may have the fastest BFI in the land OLED TV's, but the below 100 nits is a deal breaker for me personally.

I'm assuming the BFI shadow detail crushing can be corrected with a professional calibration, but you'd still be left with an ugly dim picture. I'd wait for this years LG G2 since it has a heatsink+Evo panel which will guarantee you over 100 nits easily with it's BFI. Better yet, there's the Sony QD-OLED arriving this year, which will cost a pretty penny. but it will outdo the G2 in brightness, it's BFI however might perform worse. I've heard that Sony's 2021 OLED's have worse motion than the LG C1 & G1.

But ya, the motion blur reduction from my C1's BFI High setting is in the same ball park as my panasonic S60 plasma. that plasma has average motion by plasma standards, yet the C1 ever so slightly has less blur in BFI high mode. Not sure which of the two wins in motion resolution. S60 has been said to have 700-800p, i'm guessing the C1 lands around there as well or possibly better.

And i've got to say, after owning multiple CRT's over the years, going from something like a Sony Wega trinitron from the early to mid 2000's and 'then' to a panny S60 plasma was a total downgrade in regards to motion Blur and Brightness. That Sony, obviously had zero Blur nor did it have any motion dithering/artifacts or green phosphor trails. It was also brighter as well and produced a more sculpted picture with more pop.

And then going from the S60 plasma to my LG C1 OLED was another big downgrade as far as motion is concerned. Far more Motion Blur, only 300p motion resolution & 3x the judder. lol BFI/MotionPro HIGH for streaming & 120fps gaming are a CRT lovers only hope with OLED
Last edited by NeonPizza on 25 Feb 2022, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.

NeonPizza

Post by NeonPizza » 25 Feb 2022, 00:37

Ozzuneoj wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 00:36

I can't game on OLED unless the game is 120fps and that's solely because 120fps cuts motion blur down by half and doubles up on motion resolution. It also reduces latency down to 5ms which is getting close to CRT and of course gives you that realistic buttery smooth motion that you just can't get from 60. And you have two settings to further reduce motion blur & gain more motion resolution. With the LG C1, they're Motion Pro Low & Medium which are designed for 120hz bfi.....Wouldn't recommend medium though as it robs you of too much brigthness where as low only takes a small amount. Low, as is makes a noticeable improvement but there will a bit of shadow detail crushing and a little more latency in return.

Anyways, witha60fps for example, is like gaming through the eyes of Barny Gumble from The Simpsons. Can't get down with that drunkOvision nonsense. Kills the experience in every first and 3rd person based title i play. Heck, i refuse to play Resident Evil 8: Village until i get an Aurora RTX3080 PC so i can plunk it at 120fps. Seeing as how capcom hasn't even bothered to update it with a 120fps patch for Series X or PS5. They could get that game running at 120fps(Including RE2,3 & 7) @1080p if they wanted....

But back to BFI....Streaming/Discs, Max BFI on the CX has been said to offer under 100 nits brightness which is not ideal, but apparently it has <2ms persistence which is 1ms faster than the C1's MotionPro High setting. Plus, there's more shadow detail crushing with the CX from it's BFI. CX may have the fastest BFI in the land OLED TV's, but the below 100 nits is a deal breaker for me personally.

I'm assuming the BFI shadow detail crushing can be corrected with a professional calibration, but you'd still be left with an ugly dim picture. I'd wait for this years LG G2 since it has a heatsink+Evo panel which will guarantee you over 100 nits easily with it's BFI. Better yet, there's the Sony QD-OLED arriving this year, which will cost a pretty penny. but it will outdo the G2 in brightness, it's BFI however might perform worse. I've heard that Sony's 2021 OLED's have worse motion than the LG C1 & G1.

But ya, the motion blur reduction from my C1's BFI High setting is in the same ball park as my panasonic S60 plasma. that plasma has average motion by plasma standards, yet the C1 ever so slightly has less blur in BFI high mode. Not sure which of the two wins in motion resolution. S60 has been said to have 700-800p, i'm guessing the C1 lands around there as well or possibly better.

And i've got to say, after owning multiple CRT's over the years, going from something like a Sony Wega trinitron from the early to mid 2000's and 'then' to a panny S60 plasma was a total downgrade in regards to motion Blur and Brightness. That Sony, obviously had zero Blur nor did it have any motion dithering/artifacts or green phosphor trails. It was also brighter as well and produced a more sculpted picture with more pop.

And then going from the S60 plasma to my LG C1 OLED was another big downgrade as far as motion is concerned. Far more Motion Blur, only 300p motion resolution & 3x the judder. lol BFI/MotionPro HIGH for streaming & 120fps gaming are a CRT lovers only hope with OLED