Asus XG279Q with ELMB-Sync

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
RLCSContender*

Re: Asus XG279Q with ELMB-Sync

Post by RLCSContender* » 24 Mar 2020, 16:21

Weird, i own the XG279q and i have zero issues when ELMB-Sync is on. When i use the UFO tests, i dont' really see much of a difference in zones particularly at the overclocked refersh rates. Crosstalk and overshoots from what i've seen only occur at lower framerates. So please stop speaking for everyone just because YOUR monitor has different ELMB Sync, doesn't mean ALL the other monitors have the same problems as you do.

here's a photo of my XG279q when i first purchased it. Notice a huge stuck/dead pixel in the middle with really bad cloudiness. Amazon sent me a new one and i didn't have the same excessive backlight bleed or any dead pixels.

you must be new to motion blur technology but majority of motion blur technology locks the overdrive settings. In this case it's overdrive 4 when ELMB sync is on. You won't even notice the overshoot if you play at a higher framerate, and even if you did, the tradeoff by having better motion clarity is much better. With the advent of newer graphics cards coming out, it's not hard getting over 100 FPS even on AAA titles. so unless you have the budget to have a stronger GPU, then i don't recommend getting this monitor.

When it comes to response time. THe best overdrive setting is 3, but it would be stupid to not use ELMB sync (which is locked at overdrive 4). This monitor is faster than the viewsonic elite xg270qg in their best overdrive settings. Prad.de did a review on this and everything checks out.

Dmoney405

Post by Dmoney405 » 25 Apr 2020, 15:43

RLCScontender wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 16:21
Weird, i own the XG279q and i have zero issues when ELMB-Sync is on. When i use the UFO tests, i dont' really see much of a difference in zones particularly at the overclocked refersh rates.
Really? Because that means your monitor is better than any other ever created and should be sampled at a lab to see how it became so perfect. This is really impressive because the best monitors (benq with calibration and the new blurbusters approved viewsonic) both still have image artifacting issues with crosstalk and over/undershooting but somehow yours has no issues. That is amazing. You should put that thing on ebay with an open bid starting at $2,000. Tons of gamers and manufacturers would love to get their hands on it. Your monitor sample could single handedly pave the way for the artifact free gaming experience that we have been dreaming of!!!

Or we can come back down to earth and assume you are downplaying the issues due to personal investments or financial validation seeking of some sort and there is absolutely no chance that you have little to no difference from top to bottom. Especially considering that your own review on this very site with the same username seems to agree with me;
RLCScontender wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 22:40
Part 2, The bad

ELMB-Sync. The VG279aq has better implementation of the ELMB sync. For the XG279q, 2/3 of your screen is BLURRY and has massive blur and rosstalk. Only 1/3 of your screen is GOOD and that is unfortunate. I actually deranked from top 100 to top 1000 just because of ELMB-SYNC. The top half of my monitor was extremely blurry and i whiffed EVERYTHIING The only good part is the bottom 1/3(for my monitor). ELMB Sync only works on certain quadrants of your monitor unfortunately. And like I said above, the bottom 1/3(for my monitor at least) is only good at framerates above 140hz. The implementation of ELMB-SYNC is VERY POOR, and they should've changed it to overdrive 3 to make it tolerable at lower framerates.
How do you explain your multiple polarizing views in a short time? Does your opinion change depending on your mood for the day? There is no reasonable excuse for a discrepancy of your own opinion this large. This isn't even the only example. Let's move on to another;
RLCScontender wrote:In this case it's overdrive 4 when ELMB sync is on. You won't even notice the overshoot if you play at a higher framerate,
Okay you majorly contradict yourself again. You just said over drive 4 is fine but here is yet another excerpt from your own personal review of this monitor a couple weeks prior that says the exact opposite;
RLCScontender wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 21:24

.. Sadly, at overdrive 4, there's massive amount of overshoot so I don't recommend it. You can easily test this on blurbusters to fact check my review...

...Keep in mind, at overdrive 3, there's still very slight overshoot but it's not too bad. If you don't want any overshoot at all, go to 2. Overdrive 4 and 5, dont' even bother since at overdrive 3, there's already slight overshoot to begin with.
*mic drop*
Last edited by Dmoney405 on 10 May 2020, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

Classy

Post by Classy » 26 Apr 2020, 18:50

You really would use this 280Hz Monitor in a Very dim/low light room because the ELMB is only good on the dark because of the non-adjustable Setting while ELMB Sync is on.

Also, since you can't use ELMB UNDER 200Hz because it has lots of Ghosting/Overshoot or whatever, you need a very powerful GPU. Kinda crazy, but this monitor is targeted to the 0.001% of the people that meets those categories.

Avean

Post by Avean » 28 Apr 2020, 14:21

I've had this monitor for over a month, great monitor but i see no benefits with ELMB-Sync on. But i dont see much crosstalk at all when i run it at overclocked refreshrates though. In games like Valorant where my FPS is very high so i can stay at 165Hz (Max HZ ELMB-Sync works on) i dont see any issues. But lower refreshrates like 120 or 144 i can see it straight away. But still, its no clearer in any way when i turn around i feel. So i just leave it off.

Classy

Post by Classy » 28 Apr 2020, 20:02

Is this Regarding the Asus XG279Q or the VG279QM?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Apr 2020, 20:20

Avean wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 14:21
Valorant where my FPS is very high so i can stay at 165Hz (Max HZ ELMB-Sync works on) i dont see any issues.
Strobing, VRR, and especially ELMB-SYNC requires mouse to be 1600dpi+ or 3200dpi+ at 1000Hz to perform its best.

Make sure you clean your mouse feet and use a high-rated high-resolution mouse pad (not the cheap stuff). High DPI, low in-game sensitivity. This gives you TestUFO-smooth strobed mouseturns with the latest mouse sensors (the new 12000dpi+ technologies).

You don't need to use the top DPI setting but 400dpi is useless for strobed mouseturns during ELMB and ULMB. Slow-speed and medium-speed mouse turns are too steppy at 400dpi, completely killing strobe benefits.

Though 1000Hz is fine, even 2000Hz helps strobing a bit (like the Cougar Minos mice) since strobing massively amplifies mouseturn jitteriness & microstutters.

Fix your mouse microstutters so mouse-slow-turns are exactly as smooth stepless as keyboard strafe left/right.
- Face a high-detail wall
- Test your strafing via keyboard.
- Test your mouseturns slowly (1 to 2 screenwidths per second).
- Not equally smooth? FIX IT FIRST. :D
- Mouse feet not clean? Clean it.
- Mouse pad too jittery? Replace it.
- 1600dpi+ still too jittery? Replace mouse with better sensor.
- Keep Windows Control Panel at center sensitivity setting. Only adjust DPI via your mouse, and lower in-game sensitivity to compensate for superspeed of high DPI. And if Windows mouse cursor is too fast, big whoop, your strobed competitive wins is more important. You can also use your favourite mouse utility to auto-DPI 400dpi in Windows, and boost to 3200dpi whenever your game launches.

Also strobing mainly fixes eye-tracking situations, not fixed-gaze-at-crosshairs situations, so you will want to read HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively. For ELMB-SYNC, use a frame cap about 3fps below max-Hz. This reduces your strobe lag since ELMB-SYNC will automatically use VSYNC ON when fps=max Hz, so a cap keeps framerates within your low-latency VRR range.

If your gaming tactic is permanent-gaze-at-crosshairs, strobing is not for you. But if you track your eyes during mouseturns, or you play crosshairsless games (panning, scrolling, targetless turning like Rocket League, etc), strobing helps.

Some esports gamers use low-lag strobing (BenQ DyAc is popular as world's lowest lag strobe that has NO BRIGHTNESS LOSS) or selectively disable it for CS:GO (due to fixed-gaze and crosshairs reliance) but enable it for Rocket League / DOTA2 due to lack of crosshairs (reaction time improvements from more frequent eye-tracking in different games).

If you use strobing in esports, optimize strobing advantages correctly. :D
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Apr 2020, 20:56

Attention: Reminder of "Be Nice to Users" Rules
With all the useful contributions also comes a bit of heated discorse/debate. Words are subject to interpretation and I prefer to nuance words, I'll intervene for the sake of peace. I try to be a good moderator to put some sense into what people are saying. So...

We agree forums are never perfect and Blur Busters tries its goddamndest best to keep reasonable forum discourse. We're not the twitterverse here. We don't want polarizing "PC vs Mac" or "Android vs iPhone" type war between Monitor X and Y or Panel X and Y. Be fair.
RLCScontender wrote:
you must be new to motion blur technology but majority of motion blur technology locks the overdrive settings. In this case it's overdrive 4 when ELMB sync is on. You won't even notice the overshoot if you play at a higher framerate, and even if you did, the tradeoff by having better motion clarity is much better. With the advent of newer graphics cards coming out, it's not hard getting over 100 FPS even on AAA titles. so unless you have the budget to have a stronger GPU, then i don't recommend getting this monitor.
RLCScontender wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 22:40
Part 2, The bad

ELMB-Sync. The VG279aq has better implementation of the ELMB sync. For the XG279q, 2/3 of your screen is BLURRY and has massive blur and rosstalk. Only 1/3 of your screen is GOOD and that is unfortunate. I actually deranked from top 100 to top 1000 just because of ELMB-SYNC. The top half of my monitor was extremely blurry and i whiffed EVERYTHIING The only good part is the bottom 1/3(for my monitor). ELMB Sync only works on certain quadrants of your monitor unfortunately. And like I said above, the bottom 1/3(for my monitor at least) is only good at framerates above 140hz. The implementation of ELMB-SYNC is VERY POOR, and they should've changed it to overdrive 3 to make it tolerable at lower framerates.
What we all know and generally agree on average:
- The quality of ELMB-SYNC varies between different ELMB-SYNC monitors.
- ELMB-SYNC is better at high frame rates, has more problems with low frame rates
- ELMB-SYNC is a good way to lower fps=Hz strobe lag (capped ELMB-SYNC is better than VSYNC ON ELMB)

The additional factors apply:
- Different people notice problems differently
- Different people eye-track differently
- Center of screen is the most important screen region to worry about (crosshairs area)
- Some people have good peripheral vision, others have poorer peripheral vision
- Different games will have different eye-gaze and eye-tracking habits that may amplify/reduce issues
- Pickiness of strobe crosstalk (essentially strobe-chopped ghosting/coronas) varies hugely between people
- Real-world ghosting/coronas varies on material and settings.

A new curveball:
- Reducing contrast ratio slightly (raising blacks above perfect black, raising whites below perfect white) can also make strobe crosstalk mostly disappear on some monitors. Different people have different picture and gamma settings, so do-not-assume your ghosting/coronas is the same as the next person's. So it is useless to make edicts about that (it becomes accidential flamebait) :D
- Always give fair disclosure
- Etc, etc, etc.
RLCScontender wrote:
Weird, i own the XG279q and i have zero issues when ELMB-Sync is on. When i use the UFO tests, i dont' really see much of a difference in zones particularly at the overclocked refersh rates.
A new tip -- sometimes strobe crosstalk improves if you adjust your NVIDIA Control Panel's brightness/contrast around slightly. It varies from monitor to monitor. The act of lifting blacks above fullblack, and whites below fullwhite, sometimes gives you more overdrive overshoot room (below black, above white) to neutralize ghosting and coronas. It does not help all monitors, but sometimes approximately 50% to 90% of strobe crosstalk disappears from some models of monitors.

The moral of the story is the random accidential picture settings of different individuals sometimes creates big differences in ghosting/coronas/crosstalk between different people's picture settings.
Dmoney405 wrote:
25 Apr 2020, 15:43
How do you explain your multiple polarizing views in a short time? Does your opinion change depending on the substance you are abusing for the day? There is no reasonable excuse for a discrepancy of your own opinion this large. This isn't even the only example. Let's move on to another;
Moderation Note to Dmoney405
While I agree RLSContender has often been polarizing, that phrase is beyond our Be Nice To Users rule. My reread suggests it is a "seeing overdrive in a test" versus "not noticing overdrive in a real-world game" as a disreprecancy-explainer. But I have to remind that everyone sees differently, and notices overdrive issues differently.

I ask all to temper their individual "best monitor" claims given the complex factors (GtG complex, human vision complexities, measurement complexities, differences between different units of the same model of monitor for any reason even as simple as adjustments).

Moderation Note to RLSContender
While it is true that "seeing overdrive" versus "noticing overdrive in a specific game" are two different things (apples vs oranges), and varies from individual to individual, the words you chose are a bit polarizing so I suggest a little more nuance. See our Be Nice To Users rule -- this is even more important when replying to other people's threads. Dmoney405 is this thread's creator. That said:

Think about this; A friend of yours of more limited means (e.g. a poor student) who posts a new thread, may have gotten a great gift or cheap nonreturnable purchase that is still superior to a crappy 15-year old LCD monitor. Despite being far worse than your monitor. Discussion is welcome in all threads but anything polarizing/frustration-inducing/etc posted in other people's threads gets higher moderation priority. Dmoney405 is the creator of this thread, and the more polarizing criticisms to monitors should be ideally posted in your own original threads instead. Extra attention to constructive discussion needs to be given when replying to other people's threads. Please. Thank you.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Spikecast

Post by Spikecast » 02 May 2020, 17:33

Hi all,

New to the forum and thought it would be good to get some advice on this monitor which has just arrived today. My first IPS monitor and wow the colours look amazing, I've just come from a TN DELL SG27DG Gsync monitor and the first thing I noticed was the colours. I have a few questions I was wondering if any owners could help with. Only issue is some BLB and one red stuck pixel so amazon will be exchanging it.

ELMB - is it best on or off on this display, I've noticed when I'm in racing mode (which I believe is the best out of the box setting? Correct me if I'm wrong) and you turn ELMB ON the display almost halves the brightness, not sure I could use it that dim, however with it off the screen brightness is sky high.

Refresh rate - again read some conflicting stories, most saying keep it at 165hz? What is best? 170hz with ELMB off and 165hz with it on?

HDR - Seems pretty useless on this screen TBH, although I certainly did NOT buy it for this, I'm totally spoilt with my LG c9 where the HDR is stunning so this was never going to come close, it just seems really poor to me.

What are the best settings generally? I've currently got it in racing mode, ELMB OFF, 165hz, gsync ON.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Avean

Post by Avean » 03 May 2020, 06:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 20:20
Avean wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 14:21
Valorant where my FPS is very high so i can stay at 165Hz (Max HZ ELMB-Sync works on) i dont see any issues.
Strobing, VRR, and especially ELMB-SYNC requires mouse to be 1600dpi+ or 3200dpi+ at 1000Hz to perform its best.

Make sure you clean your mouse feet and use a high-rated high-resolution mouse pad (not the cheap stuff). High DPI, low in-game sensitivity. This gives you TestUFO-smooth strobed mouseturns with the latest mouse sensors (the new 12000dpi+ technologies).

You don't need to use the top DPI setting but 400dpi is useless for strobed mouseturns during ELMB and ULMB. Slow-speed and medium-speed mouse turns are too steppy at 400dpi, completely killing strobe benefits.

Though 1000Hz is fine, even 2000Hz helps strobing a bit (like the Cougar Minos mice) since strobing massively amplifies mouseturn jitteriness & microstutters.

Fix your mouse microstutters so mouse-slow-turns are exactly as smooth stepless as keyboard strafe left/right.
- Face a high-detail wall
- Test your strafing via keyboard.
- Test your mouseturns slowly (1 to 2 screenwidths per second).
- Not equally smooth? FIX IT FIRST. :D
- Mouse feet not clean? Clean it.
- Mouse pad too jittery? Replace it.
- 1600dpi+ still too jittery? Replace mouse with better sensor.
- Keep Windows Control Panel at center sensitivity setting. Only adjust DPI via your mouse, and lower in-game sensitivity to compensate for superspeed of high DPI. And if Windows mouse cursor is too fast, big whoop, your strobed competitive wins is more important. You can also use your favourite mouse utility to auto-DPI 400dpi in Windows, and boost to 3200dpi whenever your game launches.

Also strobing mainly fixes eye-tracking situations, not fixed-gaze-at-crosshairs situations, so you will want to read HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively. For ELMB-SYNC, use a frame cap about 3fps below max-Hz. This reduces your strobe lag since ELMB-SYNC will automatically use VSYNC ON when fps=max Hz, so a cap keeps framerates within your low-latency VRR range.

If your gaming tactic is permanent-gaze-at-crosshairs, strobing is not for you. But if you track your eyes during mouseturns, or you play crosshairsless games (panning, scrolling, targetless turning like Rocket League, etc), strobing helps.

Some esports gamers use low-lag strobing (BenQ DyAc is popular as world's lowest lag strobe that has NO BRIGHTNESS LOSS) or selectively disable it for CS:GO (due to fixed-gaze and crosshairs reliance) but enable it for Rocket League / DOTA2 due to lack of crosshairs (reaction time improvements from more frequent eye-tracking in different games).

If you use strobing in esports, optimize strobing advantages correctly. :D
That i didnt know! Im going to test some more. My mouse was at 800dpi and monitor set at 165Hz (Max ELMB-Sync supports on this monitor) but forgot to limit fps by 3. I remember RocketJumpNinja came to same conclusion regarding DPI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jss9Zo37MCQ

Second comment from Simon H. He has many interesting comments and came up with a formula which explained the results that RocketJumpNinja noticed and why higher DPI is better.

Your horizontal resolution x 360 / FOV. Then you get amount of pixels you need to cover with your mouse.
In my case that is 2560x360/103 = 8947 pixels. (Valorant is locked to 103 FOV)

Then you need to find your 360° distance which you get from mouse-sensitivity.com after inputting your screen size, resolution, dpi, ingame sensitivity and so on.
In my case that is 800 x 6.4 = 5120 pixels. So only 5120 pixels to cover 8947 pixels. Then the mouse should skip every 1 or 2 pixels of movement. But if i go up to 1600 DPI i get 1600 x 6.4 = 10240. Then it shouldnt skip as you cover all the pixels. If i have understood it correctly :P

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 May 2020, 00:38

Avean wrote:
03 May 2020, 06:04
In my case that is 800 x 6.4 = 5120 pixels. So only 5120 pixels to cover 8947 pixels. Then the mouse should skip every 1 or 2 pixels of movement. But if i go up to 1600 DPI i get 1600 x 6.4 = 10240. Then it shouldnt skip as you cover all the pixels. If i have understood it correctly :P
Don't forget mouseturns can be subpixel based (relative to the 3D rendering) and rendering is subpixel based.

You notice that mouse in games can be subpixel if you temporarily put in super-super-low in-game sensitivity -- then you move your mouse relatively slowly, you mouseturn smoothly subpixel move less than one pixel at a time! (If you watch carefully, the motion-antialiasing effect of subpixel movement!)

When you turn at 1500 pixels/sec at 240fps, you need it to step exactly 6.25 pixel every single frame (1500 / 240). If it alternates between 6 or 7 pixels, there can still be slight jitteriness.

You have to catch all mouseturn speeds & framerates, and be smooth at that.

You need overkill DPI to go really subpixel, to eliminate the mouse dpi microstutter weak link during strobed operation.

1600dpi isn't the final frontier in the Vicious Cycle Effect, where higher resolutions, higher frame rates, reduced motion blur, wider FOV, bigger displays, all interact with each other to make weak links more visible in situations where it did not used to be.