what monitor today has best strobing at 240hz ?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
alexander1986

what monitor today has best strobing at 240hz ?

Post by alexander1986 » 01 Mar 2020, 19:45

today I have old asus vg248qe monitor and use lightboost strobing at 120 hz / 120 fps (sometimes 240 fps limit or higher in older games or low gfx quality settings games) and for motion clarity it is amazing,

I dont mind the tearing but am very sensitive to motion blur, RTSS scanline sync is also amazing for eliminating tearing in games where I can maintain 120 fps 100% of the time and even just using 240 fps without scanline sync removes a lot of noticeable tearing,

but anyway my question is if I was to upgrade to a 240 hz monitor today, how is the strobing quality on that refreshrate? I heard the higher the HZ the harder it is to not introduce strobing crosstalk artifacts , is this still the case today or are there any monitors that do a good job of strobing at 240 hz? lets assume we keep a steady 240 fps 90%+ of the time, and that we dont use VRR like gsync/freesync.

PS. is there a very bad stutter / "bad mouse feeling" if framerate drops under 240 fps while using strobed 240 hz?

thanks for any help and feedback on this!

Stitch7

Re: what monitor today has best strobing at 240hz ?

Post by Stitch7 » 10 Mar 2020, 20:04

I believe Notty_PT has mega theead on this. Maybe try reading it. Some insight.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Mar 2020, 17:46

alexander1986 wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 19:45
today I have old asus vg248qe monitor and use lightboost strobing at 120 hz / 120 fps (sometimes 240 fps limit or higher in older games or low gfx quality settings games) and for motion clarity it is amazing,

I dont mind the tearing but am very sensitive to motion blur, RTSS scanline sync is also amazing for eliminating tearing in games where I can maintain 120 fps 100% of the time and even just using 240 fps without scanline sync removes a lot of noticeable tearing,

but anyway my question is if I was to upgrade to a 240 hz monitor today, how is the strobing quality on that refreshrate? I heard the higher the HZ the harder it is to not introduce strobing crosstalk artifacts , is this still the case today or are there any monitors that do a good job of strobing at 240 hz? lets assume we keep a steady 240 fps 90%+ of the time, and that we dont use VRR like gsync/freesync.

PS. is there a very bad stutter / "bad mouse feeling" if framerate drops under 240 fps while using strobed 240 hz?

There will always be more strobe crosstalk at 240Hz than at lower Hz. However, recent anecdotes mentions that the BenQ XL2546S DyAc+ seems to be doing a great job at it.

-- You will have more strobe crosstalk double-images at 240Hz than VG248QE LightBoost
-- You will still have visible stutter when framerates lower than Hz during strobing, it's just half stutter amplitude at 240Hz than at 120Hz, so it is less visible. The bad mouse feeling also appears too.
-- That said, 240Hz strobing is noticeably lower lag than 120Hz strobing.

The situation is getting better. I do expect that if 360 Hz monitors have strobing, they'll have superior 240Hz strobing. Refresh rate headroom is very good for strobe quality. 120Hz strobing on 240Hz monitors tend to be superior to 120Hz strobing on 144Hz monitors, when well-tuned.

Also, are you currently aware of the Blur Busters Approved program?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 12 Mar 2020, 07:26

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 17:46
alexander1986 wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 19:45

There will always be more strobe crosstalk at 240Hz than at lower Hz. However, recent anecdotes mentions that the BenQ XL2546S DyAc+ seems to be doing a great job at it.

-- You will have more strobe crosstalk double-images at 240Hz than VG248QE LightBoost
-- You will still have visible stutter when framerates lower than Hz during strobing, it's just half stutter amplitude at 240Hz than at 120Hz, so it is less visible. The bad mouse feeling also appears too.
-- That said, 240Hz strobing is noticeably lower lag than 120Hz strobing.

The situation is getting better. I do expect that if 360 Hz monitors have strobing, they'll have superior 240Hz strobing. Refresh rate headroom is very good for strobe quality. 120Hz strobing on 240Hz monitors tend to be superior to 120Hz strobing on 144Hz monitors, when well-tuned.

Also, are you currently aware of the Blur Busters Approved program?
thanks chief !

yes, I saw the viewsonic monitor that was blur busters approved, think it was "XG270" ? Is there more monitors approved at this point in time?

XL2546 S is the monitor I am waiting for right now, and was planning to use the blur busters 182 hz custom refreshrate / VT trick on it, in your opinion chief is 182 hz Xl2546 / Xl2546 S superior or at least on par with VG248QE lightboost ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Mar 2020, 10:37

alexander1986 wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 07:26
XL2546 S is the monitor I am waiting for right now, and was planning to use the blur busters 182 hz custom refreshrate / VT trick on it, in your opinion chief is 182 hz Xl2546 / Xl2546 S superior or at least on par with VG248QE lightboost ?
Please define "superior to LightBoost"

* Input lag
* Stutter resistance
* Jitteriness
* Contrast ratio
* Colors
* Brightness
* Blur reduction
* Strobe crosstalk

Some things are better and some things are worse.

Different people have different priorities.

For solo gaming (where lag matters less), colors are my priority. Personally for solo gaming, I prefer XG270 over XL2546, because of the superior IPS colors and color gamut, and even XG270 has lower lag than VG248QE LightBoost (but so does all the BenQ Zowie blur reduction -- BenQ's strobing is lower lag than LightBoost)

Also, I have only seen XL2546, and don't even know if XL2546S is compatible with 182 Hz VT. The tweaks changes between monitor models, and sometimes not.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 12 Mar 2020, 11:36

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 10:37
alexander1986 wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 07:26
Please define "superior to LightBoost"

* Input lag
* Stutter resistance
* Jitteriness
* Contrast ratio
* Colors
* Brightness
* Blur reduction
* Strobe crosstalk

Some things are better and some things are worse.

Different people have different priorities.

For solo gaming (where lag matters less), colors are my priority. Personally for solo gaming, I prefer XG270 over XL2546, because of the superior IPS colors and color gamut, and even XG270 has lower lag than VG248QE LightBoost (but so does all the BenQ Zowie blur reduction -- BenQ's strobing is lower lag than LightBoost)

Also, I have only seen XL2546, and don't even know if XL2546S is compatible with 182 Hz VT. The tweaks changes between monitor models, and sometimes not.
True! many factors to consider : ) I guess for me priority would be input lag, blur reduction and strobe crosstalk, hopefully in the not too distant future there will be more info and user feedback on the xl2546S, cheers and thanks again !